Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Book...

Ben Stoeger

Ben,

I think eBooks should take advantage of multi-media not just be page turners.

I think embedded videos would reduce padding and make it more useful...

This is a lot like your website already. :D There are sections that are easily navigated and the file structure is pretty horizontal. I like it a lot. I'd buy your eBook if it was structured like your website!

What I would like to see:

• Lots of applied technique examples with video would be nice.
  • Examples of how to diagnose and measure improvement.

DNH

The way things are taking shape, none of this stuff is going to happen.

The book is focused on training and wont have technique in it. BUUUT, I think your idea is fantastic for a book covering technique.

Any other ideas regarding training?

The book is really shaping up and I am genuinely proud of what I have.

The other author isn’t someone that you guys are going to think of as a super accomplished shooter, but he does have an extremely interesting perspective that he is bringing to this thing. His real contribution to the project is helping organize my crazy ideas so the unwashed masses will understand what I am trying to say. My ideas aren’t hard to understand because I am smarter than everyone, it is because I am illiterate.

It is looking like the book is going to have the following:

Generic BS about the application of the book.

Common misconceptions about practical shooting

Some new ideas about how to organize your training

A breakdown of the tools we use to train

10 drills that everyone should work to master along with extensive commentary

How to put together your training plan

“A week in the life” a detailed breakdown of a week of my training

The other author isn’t someone that you guys are going to think of as a super accomplished shooter, but he does have an extremely interesting perspective that he is bringing to this thing. His real contribution to the project is helping organize my crazy ideas so the unwashed masses will understand what I am trying to say. My ideas aren’t hard to understand because I am smarter than everyone, it is because I am illiterate.

Ben: Any idea of a release date for your book? It sure sounds like it will benefit pretty much everyone other than GM's, & who really cares about them anyways.

Ben: Any idea of a release date for your book? It sure sounds like it will benefit pretty much everyone other than GM's, & who really cares about them anyways.

Pretty soon. My parner wants it out for IPSC Nationals.

I think that books about improving shooting are good from an aspect that they can get the creative juices flowing so you are thinking about shooting differently, but the reality is that most people have a very hard time building a real world correlation with the content in the book verses what they are or are not doing. A book will never be a viable replacement for in person training. Having a trainer standing next to you ready to immediately point out what you are not doing properly is priceless.

I have read a boat load of shooting books and one area that I think is commonly missed is being an effective student of yourself. If you are an effective student of yourself you can quickly identify weaknesses in your skill set, develop a training plan to fix it, then execute the training plan to over come it. Most shooters don't have this "Student of yourself" mentality. They think that if they perform some drills until they are knee deep in brass that they are going to magically get better. They understand that they have to practice, but their practice is almost always implemented in the wrong context. The only way that you know what you need to practice is with proper self assessment.

The other major challenge with writing a book is that you have to write it in a way that is "One size fits all". In the training that I have received and given one glaring fact that is immediately obvious is that everyone has a unique skill set. What one shooter needs to work on is almost always not the same as another shooter. Then you have to account for the learning style that each shooter has. Everyone has a different level of receptiveness when it comes to learning stuff. For example, a training method that works for one shooter may not work at all for another. When you write about improving shooting skills it can only be communicated in general terms and in a general method of training.

I think, that it could be like a sort of diary.

example 30 day of training..

monday or day 1

dryfire: xxxxxx

live fire:xxxxxx

visual exercise:xxxxx

etc..etc..

A lot of book tell u to work on different thinks, they propose u to organize the volume, the skill exercise..

but if a book could drive u, dayly toward the arrive day.

winter days: dry fire a lot

spring:

pre match:

this is my idea.. But maybe this "tutor" book can be usefull for a lot of people, imho...

I think, that it could be like a sort of diary.

but if a book could drive u, dayly toward the arrive day.

this is my idea.. But maybe this "tutor" book can be usefull for a lot of people, imho...

I like the tutor idea! Driving towards a goal like running a standard at a lower time.

It would help me answer the question: What should I do with the time I have?

It's all too easy to burn through ammo working on things that won't give the most improvement.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Cha-lee hit the bullseye with his discussion of being an effective student of yourself ... I am a Mike Seeklander disciple .. I've taken his course and am currently in phase 3 of his 20 week training program and the most important thing he tells his students - since we can't have an instructor at the rg with us every day - is to video all your training. I video every session and review the tape before the next session and it's amazing how fast you learn when you can correct a mistake at the very next training session. My improvements are not due to being at the range 3x/wk but because I usually don't make the same mistake 2 sessions in a row ... I also video every match I shoot as well and write down notes right after I shoot a stage while everything is still fresh. After reviewing the match video I make a list of the match related things I need to focus on during the next match.

I think that books about improving shooting are good from an aspect that they can get the creative juices flowing so you are thinking about shooting differently, but the reality is that most people have a very hard time building a real world correlation with the content in the book verses what they are or are not doing. A book will never be a viable replacement for in person training. Having a trainer standing next to you ready to immediately point out what you are not doing properly is priceless.

Ok, so you aren't interested in a book or what?

Ben,

I think people are making a distinction between book learning and actual in person training. There's a lot of people out there that think information is the same as knowledge and knowing. I have learned the distinction the long way.

I personally find Enos and Anderson very helpful but for different aspects of shooting.

Your recommendation of Engman in the form of a review has been very helpful.

There are many avenues of pistolcraft you can address. How you slice and dice the subject would be where your wisdom can shine through. Your first description sounds like it's going to be a valuable book.

Looking forward to reading your work.

DNH

I look forward to see/read your work. I see it as sharing what you have worked on for years, as our venerable host here had done. Nothing can pay back the time, effort, dedication, frustrations, hard work, etc you went thru in your pursuit for a better shooting. That you chose to share your ideas w/ us is a selfless act. Tia

• 2 weeks later...

The engineer in me has a hard time learning without drawings or schematics. The best training aid I ever received came during golf lessons. My instructor had a poster of several pictures of a golfer swinging, maybe 10 to 12 pictures of different stages of one swing. He used that poster to identify finer points of the swing to me. Maybe something like that would help some students to break up tasks and learn how to perform them properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with some of the other replies.

Technology is changing fast! Here's my take

Kindle format to put on my tablet and take it with me to the range

A workbook for logging times and quick reference for drills

Interactive( Here's what you do, here's how I do it, now you do it)

A corresponding video for the visual learners

• 1 month later...