Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to competition shooting.

bigblue677

I have recently been interested in competition pistol shooting. I have been shooting pistols for a while now and I'm looking for a new hobby. I've read the forums in and out and I've watched every video with the keyword pistol in it but I just don't know anyone personally to talk to. I have a para P18 limited that I will be...... Attempting........ To compete with. But what I'm wanting to know is if there is any advantage to joining USPSA or IPSC and what would be the best class to get my feet wet in? Any advise would be more than I have now. Thanks :cheers:

Most clubs hava a new shooter clinic of some sort. If not, I would go watch a match to get a feel for how it all works. Start in either production or limited.

Big, it all starts at your local gun club - get on USPSA.com and

find out where local matches are in your area - and when - phone

or e-mail someone in charge - go watch them - tell them you're

new to the game. Someone will give you some great advice.

Start shooting anywhere, in any capacity - just try it out and

see what you enjoy and don't enjoy.

Some love IDPA, others love USPSA, some do both (I can't - too

many rule changes), but I tried them both before deciding which

I prefer.

They're all fun and educational.

Get yourself some extra mags, a holster/belt/mag holders - and

bring your earmuffs and eyeprotectors out to the first match

you can find - have a ball.

:cheers:

DON'T DO IT!!! It's no different than saying "I've been thinking about trying crack for a while....." I started shooting a local USPSA club match about 9 months ago with my buddies borrowed rig. It wasn't anything special as far as equipment goes, an XD .45 with sights and a trigger job, and a few extended mags. Fast forward to today, and I am the proud owner of an STI Race gun, full gear, and I'm going to pick up a Dillon 1050 reloader today. I've gone from shooting one match a month (about 150 rounds and MAYBE a couple hundred practice rounds), to shooting four matches a month, dry firing around the house, at least doubling my live fire practice, and thinking about Alphas and seconds on the clock constantly. IT IS A DISEASE!!!! Don't think that I am alone here in this condition, read the threads and you'll find out just how much fun, and addictive this sport truly is. Also, search the threads on "yearly budget" and you'll find that it's not like taking up knitting, it literally CAN cost as much as a hard core crack addiction.

That said, I fully support your decision to come and play our game. I prefer USPSA because of the typically higher round count and the less restrictive equipment rules (I shoot Limited Major). I'm sure that if I'd started in IDPA I'd still be there, as that's where my friends would be, which is one of the most appealing attributes of this sport. Hanging around with a bunch of like minded individuals shooting guns, doesn't get much better than this. :cheers:

I understand the costs of shooting. Ive shot competition in everything from long range rifle to 3-D archery and some shotgun. I just looked at the IPSC production gun list and the P18 isnt list. Should I go straight into limited?

I understand the costs of shooting. Ive shot competition in everything from long range rifle to 3-D archery and some shotgun. I just looked at the IPSC production gun list and the P18 isnt list. Should I go straight into limited?

I don't think a P-18 would be allowed in production. Are uou in the US? Most clubs in the US shoot under USPSA rules and I know a P-18 would be Limited in USPSA, but I'm not too familliar with IPSC rules.

Mike

Read here everyday. That will help tons.

Find club.

Watch. Do the new shooter clinic or class or whatever your club offers.

Sign in to the next match with whatever equipment you have.

Don't worry about division or time or any of that. Just shoot and have fun.

It's all downhill from there to your GM card... :roflol:

I've only been competing in USPSA for about a year now, and even then it's a challenge as I have two teenage sons with lots of activities going on.

But, being a hunter all my life, I thought I'd give pistol shooting a try. I read a lot of info and watched a lot of youtube videos. One day I just decided to go to the local range for the Thursday night USPSA shoot. I brought my Baby Desert Eagle 9mm with a leather holster and a kydex double mag pouch. I had just the very basics and was pretty embarrassed by what I had vs all the other shooters in terms of equipment.

But, there were a lot of people willing to give advice and tips, and help me progress along the way with both my shooting and my equipment.

So, I'd say the best way to figure it out is just get involved in a local club and talk to the members. Nothing you read or watch online will compare to actually just going out and competing with what you have and talking to the members of the local club. It's the best way to learn and progress in my opinion.

Dont bother watching a match. Browse the rulebook, find out where they have matches near you and just go shoot! Sounds like your gun will put you in production class. Show up early to the match, talk to people and learn about the safety rules and just go for it man!

You will want atleast 3 mags for your gun, 5 is better. And a holster and atleast a few mag holders. After your first match youll know bwtter what u need.

Have fun be safe!

Went to my first match this morning and already fell in love with it. I didn't compete this time, just walked around and watched and talked a few of the normal shooters. Talked a guy who lives near me and he invited me out to practice at his home range for some practice/training sessions. :cheers: I can't wait to get out and shoot my first match. :sight:

Went to my first match this morning and already fell in love with it. I didn't compete this time, just walked around and watched and talked a few of the normal shooters. Talked a guy who lives near me and he invited me out to practice at his home range for some practice/training sessions. :cheers: I can't wait to get out and shoot my first match. :sight:

You think you love it now, wait till after you shoot your first match and it'll hook you like crack :devil:

C'mon in. the waters warm, the sharks are friendly, the Kool-aid tastes great and the cookies from the Open Division shooters are pretty good when they share. Get addicted like the rest of us.

Give it a little time and you'll be hooked like the rest of us. I got started and my bank account has never recovered..........and I am ok with that. You'll meet some great people, travel to some places you never thought you would and see some things you just can't believe. And that is just staying at Match hotels. The Match's themselves add to the experiance and fun factor.

Jump in and have a blast.

R