Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Subjective Olympic Sports

Langenator

I'll be honest, I don't truly HATE them. I just think they're dumb. Especially when they end up with carping about the Russian judge or the French judge or <insert country here> judge giving too high a score or too low a score.

I say get rid of the lot of 'em, and limit the Olympics to sports that can be objectively judged. If it can be objectively measured who went the fastest, highest, furthest, shot the most clays, etc...it can stay.

That would mean for the summer Olympics getting rid of diving, synchronized swimming, synchronized diving (WTF?), and gymnastics. I think dressage, too. Sorry Mrs. Romney.

At the Winter games, that would mean getting rid of figure skating and most of those stupid X-games events.

Of course, most of those events are the ones that women like to watch on TV, so we're stuck with them.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Langenator

I'd agree with one caveat. The sport has to have a concrete points basis be it Hits on a target, points at a goal, time to finish. We may not know where that person finished until everyone has gone, but we know what he did for real. Subjective sports and sports with no martial basis are not true Olympic sports. Shooting, Archery, Javelin, Running, Swimming, Steeple Chase, Down Hill Skiing, Cross Country, Karate, Judo, Fencing, the list goes on. All these have some martial background. Ping-Pong? Synchronized swimming? Basketball, Hockey (OK if a fight breaks out, maybe).

I admire the skill of many of these people and the dedication they have. I just don't think some of these events qualify as a 'Sport', there has to be a hard score, nothing that is judgement only.

I'd agree with one caveat. The sport has to have a concrete points basis be it Hits on a target, points at a goal, time to finish. We may not know where that person finished until everyone has gone, but we know what he did for real. Subjective sports and sports with no martial basis are not true Olympic sports. Shooting, Archery, Javelin, Running, Swimming, Steeple Chase, Down Hill Skiing, Cross Country, Karate, Judo, Fencing, the list goes on. All these have some martial background. Ping-Pong? Synchronized swimming? Basketball, Hockey (OK if a fight breaks out, maybe).

I admire the skill of many of these people and the dedication they have. I just don't think some of these events qualify as a 'Sport', there has to be a hard score, nothing that is judgement only.

I agree, olympic sports should be martial based (had this discussion with my wife last night as beach volley ball was on, too bad it was the men).

Did you see the piece on the male US swimmer will all those shoes? Incredible :wacko:

What happened to the Olympics being for amateur athletes only.. It is a joke we send the cream of the crop from the NBA as our basketball team for example.

Oh they gave up on that 20 years ago or more, especially when the United States sent the first Dream Team to Barcelona to mop up on basketball. And before that it was a winked-at crock, what with the Soviet Union and East Germany sending their teams from their athlete factories. The IOC just finally said screw it, y'all come. Oh, and this being the 'what I hate' forum with no rebuttals or discussion.... expect this one to be closed soon.

Edited by wgnoyes

I love the shooting sports, but man the rifle and pistol events are dull to watch...

When I was on the rifle team in college, I used to joke that it was the only sport where the winner was the one who could hold still the best.

What they need is a combination of 3-gun and the biathlon, except running instead of skis. Stagger start so the stages can be reset. And make it like Trooper Division and carry all the guns, ammo, etc.