Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp or Dawson for 9mm 1911 mags

dcmdon

Hi all,

I've just gotten my first 9mm 1911 and need some mags. I'm looking only for 10 round mags, so that puts Chip McCormack out.

From what I've read, Tripp and Wilson seem to be the top two. Any advice is appreciated. So again, my requirements are

1) 10 round capacity

2) 9mm 1911 mag

Thanks,

Don

Edited by dcmdon

Dawson Precision are what I use. Tripp also makes great mags. While I've tried the Wilson's briefly (10 rounds) and they worked fine, I personally did not care for the plastic followers and basepads.

Edit* There have been a lot of threads recently on this same topic. Search around the 1911 sub-forum and you'll find them.

Edited by polizei1

Dawson Precision are what I use. Tripp also makes great mags. While I've tried the Wilson's briefly (10 rounds) and they worked fine, I personally did not care for the plastic followers and basepads.

Edit* There have been a lot of threads recently on this same topic. Search around the 1911 sub-forum and you'll find them.

thanks for the tip on the search.

I didn't know DP made mags. Are they their mags or do they tune mags made by others.

Don

I didn't know DP made mags. Are they their mags or do they tune mags made by others.

Don

From what I've read/been told, they are Metalform tubes, with Dawson's followers, spring, and basepads. If you are planning on running the Dawson no-gap magwell as well (highly recommended), you can get the "no-gap" magazines. Otherwise, you would be required to buy separate basepads to use with other manufactures magazines ($10/ea).

Does anyone have any direct comparisons between the Dawson and Tripp?

The Dawsons may be slightly easier to load but are often nearly impossible to unload.

The tubes on the Dawsons are slightly longer than those on the Tripps. (Thicker basepad on the Tripps to make them the same length over all.) I don't know that it matters a bit.

IMG_0268a.jpg

Dawson on left, Tripp on right, both with Dawson basepads.

They both run just fine in my gun.

I shied away from the Wilson's because of consistent complaints about being able to load one when into a gun with a closed slide, when its loaded with 10 rounds. For what I'm going to use this gun for (games) that matters.

Will report back on the Dawson's as soon as I get them.

Don

Don

From what I've read/been told, they are Metalform tubes, with Dawson's followers, spring, and basepads. If you are planning on running the Dawson no-gap magwell as well (highly recommended), you can get the "no-gap" magazines. Otherwise, you would be required to buy separate basepads to use with other manufactures magazines ($10/ea).

Exactamundo

• 3 weeks later...

I modified my stock Tripp basepads to work with the Dawson no-gap ICE. 2 minutes each with a dremel and it was ready to rock and roll!

Do it on a low setting though, and finish up on the lowest setting. The sanding drum worked best for me.

Well, I got a chance to put about 200 rounds downrange last night with the 4 Dawson mags. They worked perfectly. They are very easy to seat on a closed slide.

I actually loaded them up a couple of days ago and left them loaded for a day until I shot them. Not sure if it was necessary, but they are a piece of cake to load, even the last round.

Notice how they stick out more than most. Thats the longer mag tube that some have mentioned. I'm fine with that, since this isn't a carry gun.

Don

EAA14EA2-D556-4E5E-834A-FDD5E71BF8EA-214-000000DA77D2A38F.jpg

Edited by dcmdon

I was thinking about that. I want to make sure I am going to keep this gun before I did anything like that. I don't want to mar up the finish if I'm going to resell it.

The gun shoots great. I'm just finding the slow slide cycling to be a bit of an annoyance.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd give some updated feedback.

My Dan Wesson PM9 continues to run flawlessly with the Daswon Precision mags I bought back in August.

I've not had any malfunctions at all. None in probably 1500 rounds.

Had Metalform and Wilson in my Trojan. Dawson is the same as Metalform except for the pad. sold the Metalform and been using Wilson about three years now, bought Wilson's when they first came out. Had to remove two coils from the magazine spring but Wilson magazines have a better feel and my gun runs 100%.

Dawson only uses metalform tubes.

Springs are Wolff, follower and baseplate are his.

I did not get wilson because I was going to use them for local practical matches and want to be able to easily seat a full mag with a down slide.

The general consensus is that the Wilsons would be better if they were a bit longer. shown by your need to clip coils.