Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipped a pistol - May be lost?

Has anyone here ever shipped a pistol and had USPS lose it?

I shipped a pistol to a reputable gunsmith through my FFL. Went USPS Priority due to the fact that it was $50 cheaper and more convenient than shipping UPS Overnight. It was "Forwarded" on the 20th and has remained that way for the past week. USPS tells me to give it 7-10 business days for the forwarding process to be completed. Anyone here have this happen before? It is fully insured but I am sure that will be an additional hassle if the need to file a claim arises.

Edited by prreed10

Had it happen with a box of brass. They still can't deliver it.

If you have a delivery confirmation number, you should be able to track on line as long as they are scanning it. Your originating post office will get better location results than you.

As far as 7 to 10 days, they claim it takes no more than 5 anywhere so 7 to 10 only allows it to be more lost than 3 to 5

Edit to add: I believe all claims will need to be filed by the FFL. He now has that logged in from you and logged out to the FFL he was shipping to. Ultimately, I believe he will be the responsible party NOT you.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Had it happen with 7 mags......even filed a claim for reimbursement then after 3 weeks they were delivered.....apparently they were in a warehouse somewhere and somebody finally found them. Guns I always use UPS/FedEX, they can loose/damage things also but their tracking system is a lot more advanced.

I hope it turns up....

I've shipped a zillion guns through USPS, and never lost a single one. However, I have had a couple that took way longer than I ever expected to be delivered. I'd say give it some time.

Fedex and UPS are the only other option, but now you're talking $80-100 instead of $15-20.

I have never had anything lost by either USPS, UPS, or Fedex. I have heard horror stories about the reimbursement process with USPS though. It is usually worth it to me to spend the extra cash to go with UPS. You are only talking about 35-35 in most cases. I had some mags coming to me a few weeks ago and they took nearly two weeks. I moved and hadn't updated my address with the vendor. It took at least a week to go through the forwarding process.

I decided on USPS through my FFL ecause it was $65 cheaper than UPS overnight and would get there one day later.

Still no sign of it. Calling the post office again in the morning and then reporting it as stolen to the Police.

I decided on USPS through my FFL ecause it was $65 cheaper than UPS overnight and would get there one day later.

Still no sign of it. Calling the post office again in the morning and then reporting it as stolen to the Police.

Hold the phone, Bro--you don't know that it's stolen, you only know it's running a little late! Seriously, you could wind up with a big hassle if you call the cops on this.

I'll bet you $20 it shows up.

Talked to local PD. He recomended reporting it stolen, then calling back if it showed up. Decided to give it another day or so. Received an update from the Post Office last night - the box is at the post office and a notice is in the reciepants PO box. If the pistol is still in the box is yet to be seen...

Update:

Arrived yesterday in one piece. I will never use USPS for a handgun again.

I think that's a huge mistake. The Post Office, while imperfect, handles FAR more packages than UPS or FedEx. Also, FedEx's planes fly mail every day anyway, so chances are, your gun was in FedEx's possession for some portion of its travels.

If you want tracking, use express mail.