Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning your XDm

carbonman556

Every other week I will field strip the gun, usually the day before the club match. I only break it down as far as removing the slide, recoil spring and barrel. It doesn't need to go further than that. I use a q-tip to remove the old lubrication as much as possible. Areas that I really focus on are the points where the slide and frame make contact and where the barrel and slide make contact. I will also try to clean up as much gun powder residue as I can. Sometime's I will use Hoppe's solvent if I need it, but most of the time a q-tip or patch does a good enough job.

When reassembling it, I put a thin layer of Brin Enos Slide Glide on the parts that slide across each other. Quick wipe down of the frame to remove any excess grease and I am done. Sometimes I need to clean my sights a bit, especially after days I practice prone shooting.

About every 3 months I replace the trigger, recoil, sear and striker springs.

Got mine June 1. Put 100 rounds through it. Lubed it with Slide Glide. Put another 700 rounds through it in matches. Cleaned it yesterday for the big match this weekend. Field stripped it, wiped off all the dirty Slide Glide. Cleaned the chamber only with a chamber brush. Relubed with Slide Glide and a little BreakFree on trigger parts I couldn't get at without doing a more detailed strip.

I figure another 1200 rounds and I'll do a complete teardown and clean.

Every other week I will field strip the gun, usually the day before the club match. I only break it down as far as removing the slide, recoil spring and barrel. It doesn't need to go further than that. I use a q-tip to remove the old lubrication as much as possible. Areas that I really focus on are the points where the slide and frame make contact and where the barrel and slide make contact. I will also try to clean up as much gun powder residue as I can. Sometime's I will use Hoppe's solvent if I need it, but most of the time a q-tip or patch does a good enough job.

When reassembling it, I put a thin layer of Brin Enos Slide Glide on the parts that slide across each other. Quick wipe down of the frame to remove any excess grease and I am done. Sometimes I need to clean my sights a bit, especially after days I practice prone shooting.

About every 3 months I replace the trigger, recoil, sear and striker springs.

Got mine June 1. Put 100 rounds through it. Lubed it with Slide Glide. Put another 700 rounds through it in matches. Cleaned it yesterday for the big match this weekend. Field stripped it, wiped off all the dirty Slide Glide. Cleaned the chamber only with a chamber brush. Relubed with Slide Glide and a little BreakFree on trigger parts I couldn't get at without doing a more detailed strip.

I figure another 1200 rounds and I'll do a complete teardown and clean.

No need to completly tear it down after only 2000 rounds.

Wow, every 3 months for springs...I was hoping to get at least a year out of them...

I am currently shooting ~1k rds a week so 3 months is a little long when my gunsmith reccomended every 5k rounds.

There's an old saying, "Don't clean it until it malfunctions." can still be followed if you want to.

Rich

This works too. I just prefer a clean gun. I figure it will last longer if well maintained. I'm sure that you get your fair share of dirty guns coming through your shop, that would just get frustrating to me.

I do a field strip after every shooting session, whether match or practice, and do a detail strip & clean about every 1500-2000 rds because I am OCD about it. I have had my XDM since 2008 (one of the first 5000 made), so I think I have it broke in enough to go longer between cleanings, if I choose.

I go at least 5k between cleanings and then its just a wipe down of the feed ramp and brush down the barrel a couple of times. Only change the springs when I get a light strike or before a major match if I have not shot one with in 3 months or so.

I go at least 5k between cleanings and then its just a wipe down of the feed ramp and brush down the barrel a couple of times. Only change the springs when I get a light strike or before a major match if I have not shot one with in 3 months or so.

Do you shoot reloads or factory ammo?

Do you shoot reloads or factory ammo?

Shooting reloads with bearcreek bullets.

i am a terrible data point, because:

1. i don't know exactly how many rounds i have put through the gun.

2. i don't clean as often as i'd like.

when i DO clean it, i take the slide apart, and use CLP to clean the gunk out of the lower. I then use dawn and water to degrease, and clean the CLP out of the lower.

I clean the chamber and feed ramp. i clean every crevice of the slide, apart. I have not cleaned the barrel at all, since i've owned it. i would guess close to 10k rounds.

i shoot lead cast bullets. A minimal amount of fouling showed up within the first 50 rounds. I have not noticed any more than that initial build up.

i do not recommend such lax cleaning procedures. i wish i was the type of person who cleaned it after every trip to the range, honestly. But so far, it has been fine with minimal cleaning.

For just a regular cleaning I will field strip and wipe off the old lube and other assorted nasty. Then re lube (I have been using slipstream lately, before that it was slide glide).

I will do a full detail strip in winter when I am bored.

+1 except for the spring change after only 3 months between major matches.