Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optima problems

hdgun

I have an open Glock 17 with a KKM barrel and comp, and an Optima Dot,and a stock slide spring. after some function and sighting in, I shot it in a local steel match tonight. When packing up I noticed nicks in the lens of the Optima. Just to add to this I did have a couple of stove pipes. I thought it might have been from limp wrist. What do you guys think it might be? My load is 6.5 gr HS6 w/124 MONTANA GOLD.

Thanks guys I would apreciate any help. I read this forum all the time. You guys are full of info.

John

anything metal hitting the lens could do it, so depending on how you cleared the stove pipe.

Other thing is I don't know how glocks eject. is there any chance that the brass could be heading towards the lens.

Most likely that you swept the stovepipes into the lens. Less likely, some tiny bit of splatter from a plate made a 1000:1 shot on the lens. Even less likely, did you just never see the nicks until now and they were always there?

I have never seen empties eject in that much of a rearward trajectory before from any Glock shooting minor poof loads, to 178PF wrist slappers, so I very much doubt that ejected empties hit the lens unless you were shooting with the gun inside a closely restricted space like a barrel, or deep port and getting bounce backs hitting the lens.

--

Regards,

I do beleive it is the brass hitting the lens, you can kinda see that the nicks are like cuts. they were not there at the start of the night. The load is about a 145 - 150 PF (guess) I havent cronoed them yet. And last the brass is every where, to my side,in front of me and in some cases behind me. John

If the brass is in front of you, then it might not be "getting out of the gun" fast enough. I think the slide might be starting to close, before the brass has been ejected far enough...the slide is pushing it forward.

The random nature of where the brass lands seems to support this thought (too me, anyways).

So, the brass might be rolling off the ejectin port, and into the optic.

I'd try a lighter recoil spring for those loads.

Flex, I was thinking on the same line, I did order a lighter spring this morning. Hope it does the job. I was wondering if any one else had come across this problem and how they might have solved it.

Now, how do I get these dings out of my lens!!!!!!

hanks again, John

If you really need to get those scratches out, there are kits that use progressions of very fine sand-paper type stuff to polish out scratches.

Only do that if it's an acrylic lens and beyond the point of no return. If it's polycarbonate, you will, without question, destroy it. Even if it's acrylic, it's probably coated, which the abrasive will promptly destroy.

Thank you all for your help with my problem. Hopfully the lighter spring will do it. BTW I have only been shooting Glocks for a couple of months, I usually shoot 1911. This Glock stuff is fun to play with. I have been really enjoying it. Got two of them now. A pair of 17s open and limited.

Thanks, John

I don't have any experience with those kits...not recommending them.

The ones I have experience with are for aircraft windshields - which are uncoated acrylic. I've tried "fixing" polycarb lenses before with no results worth noting. Not even products like Mirror Glaze help. It's a good reason to invest into glass optics up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Hdgun,

I am shooting a G24C w/KKM barell and ext. comp. It has a J-Point red-dot now, but used to have an Optima 2000 before that. I have been shooting this gun for 3+ years now with no problem.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I had 2 scratches show up on the lens. My friend has a farm on the outskirts of town where we just started holding some weekly practices, and we shoot in the woods. At first I thought the woods had something to do with it. I also let my friend try her out that day as well, maybe he had something to do with it (dropped it, or limp wristed it, etc.) The following weekend I shot in a Sunday morning match that had 7 stages, and I noticed it got worse! Now I can count 6 or 7 random sized scratches, all predominately on the right hand side of the lens.

I cant seem to narrow out why it started, any better than I can figure out why it stopped either. As far as "fixing" the scratches ........... any help would be appricated. Most likely we will have to send them in for repairs. But I wish I knew why it started so I can figure out if it will just start all over again after the lens gets fixed!

Chris

I have an open Glock 17 with a KKM barrel and comp, and an Optima Dot,and a stock slide spring. after some function and sighting in, I shot it in a local steel match tonight. When packing up I noticed nicks in the lens of the Optima. Just to add to this I did have a couple of stove pipes. I thought it might have been from limp wrist. What do you guys think it might be? My load is 6.5 gr HS6 w/124 MONTANA GOLD.

Thanks guys I would apreciate any help. I read this forum all the time. You guys are full of info.

John

John , A friend of mine had the same problem, with his optima!

The fix was to change over to the doctor optic red dot sight, same sight picture ,but it has a glass lens!On his it was ideed the brass hitting the optima lens, its plastic so the brass will leave marks. It wont on the doctor sight !

P.S. Your load sounds like a very good load, not having shot 124's I could be sure !