Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.380 Auto Target Pistol

noylj

I have two .380 Auto blow-back pistols. I was very surprised at how harsh the recoil impulse for these pistols. They kick worse than any 9x19 pistol I have ever shot--though I am sure the micro-9s might be close.

Currently, there are two mini-1911 pistols in .380 Auto--Springfield EMP and Sig P238. I have never shot either pistol, but I am convinced that both companies are missing a possible product--

A small 1911 target pistol for women and those with small hands.

A 4.5-5.0" barrel and slide on these frames could make a really great target gun. If velocity is a key to target accuracy (in .45 Autos, the "critical" velocity often seems to be about 750-800fps), the .380 is closer to this "magic" velocity than the 9x19.

Does this idea make any sense to anyone else?

380 is pretty expensive to use for target practice, 9 is pretty easy to come by. I would buy a 1911 in 9mm but not in 380. SOme people might like it though. My 5 Foot 95 pound girlfriend with tiny hands shoots a glock 34 and actually does ok with it. A 1911 grip would be better im sure but the 380 is so expensive to buy I would pass

A full size 1911, shooting 9mm minor reloads, recoils about like a stout 22...

I agree that if 380 wasn't so silly expensive (due to opportunistic pricing of dealers with the glut of 38Auto pocket pistols being sold) that a 380ACP 1911 would shoot SOFTLY. I think there are still a bunch of all-steel European semi-autos available cheap, since Euro Police Services were restricted to 380 for years... though I'd be suspect of the reliability!

JW

The SA EMP is NOT made in .380. The .380 round isn't good for self defense, you can't shoot it in competition, and it's expensive, so why bother? There are plenty of 9mm 1911's out there, pick one of those up, they are a BLAST to shoot.

The recoil of my EMP compared to my Spartan (also 9mm) is VERY different. The EMP is a 3", the Spartan is a 5".

Edited by polizei1

Actually, my shoots a soft load in a 45 1911 and prefers it to the Glock in 9mm. I have a 1911 in 9mm and that shoots as soft as a 22 like the previous poster mentioned. It is a joy to shoot. Only bad thing is you'll go through a lot more ammo with it because it is so much fun.

I loaded some 9mm P down to about 9mm Soviet (Makarov) to study the possibility of a 1911 Mak for cheap mild shooting. But gave up on the project when the supply of heavy ball 9mm Mak dried up. Probably only one shipment.

But it could be done if you just wanted to.

I don't see why you would want to, though. It would take a lot of work to accurize a .380 pistol and load good enough ammo to tell it.

If you want to shoot targets and not get kicked, there are all manner of .22s available that will do it better than anything.

If the ladies just must pop centerfire primers and get bigger holes in the target, there are several Euro automatics in .32 S&W Long wadcutter and a good supply of US made .38 Special wadcutter guns.

My FLG said he liked to instruct new shooters with his Model 52. Good sights, great trigger, and no particular recoil, but still a big enough hole in the target to feel like a real accomplishment.

I have done the same with powderpuff .45 ACP.

Hello: If my 9 year old son who is on the small size can shoot a 5" 1911 in 9mm minor loads than anyone can. A short trigger and thin grips make it fit anyones hands. My STI 2011 in 9mm that I use for IDPA is crazy soft with a 8lb recoil spring and a power factor of 130. The small 380's I have shot have been harsher than the 9mm. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

A small frame 1911 pistol really won't make much commerical sense. It would be a very small market and would not be cost effective for the makers. Also, 380 ammo is not leagal in USPSA or SC competition. Yea, we know it's .355 but it's not 9x19.

Beauxdog

L-2311

NRA-Life