Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 issues

So have my new Super 1050 shipped in 308, I ran ~200 rounds through it and had a few issues with the feeding on to the shell plate. I thought i would chalk it up to my inexperiance with the 1050. I have 2 650's and am very proficeiant with them and can solve any issue that has come up.

After my 308 session I swapped out he tool head and shell plate to begin processing my big batch of 223. (tool head set-up: Dillon FL sizing die, 223 back up die and SP swage rod, removed primer asst, nothing, RT1200 and dillon 223 die, nothing, Lyman neck expander). I ran ~1500 pcs of brass and had ~ 50ea pcs that had a crushed torn neck that happened at the swage station. I was able to feel the problem and attemted to realign the back-up die, to ensure it was concentric, it was, also I slowed WAY down thinking I may have been going to fast and rocking the cases to much. I also re-cheched the tension of the shell plate and it was spot on. (i now have 40 canidates for 300 black out) I addition to this frustrating problem, the case feed was still an issue, locking up the machine, popping the brass out before station 1. Please any help would be appreciated

I process lots of 223 in a very similar setup on a RL 1050. Cases poping out and crushing the necks are typically a sign that my shell plate has crude in it. Try to scrape out the inside of the shell plate where the cases ride. Cleaning Media tends to find its way in there.

Thanks all for the sugestions, I checked the shell plate for debris it was brand new and properly lubed. Checked for any media in shell plate,(none found). I control the up stroke of the tool head re-checked the shell plate tension and it was properly adjusted yes using the proper locating Buttons. I also re adjusted the swage rod and back up expander die.

I was having a problem with the swage backup rod coming down on the edge of my 30-06 brass and crushing it. The shell plate and the toolhead were out of alignment.

I found that the primer operating pin/track were not in perfect alignment. Because the track that operates off the ratchet pin to move the the primer slide was off it caused the tool head to be tweaked when the tool head was at the top of its travel. As I operated the arm the tool head would come down tweaked and the swage backup rod would hit the mouth of the brass probably 3/5 times. The back up rod hits 30-06 before the alignment pins have had a chance to "untweak" the toolhead caused by the misalignment of the primer operation parts.

If you fiddled with you primer operation gizmo in order to do your caliber change take a look at the "track" mounted on the primer tube and see if it's contact with the operation of the pin on the ratchet are exerting pressure on the tool head making it out of alignment with the shell plate.

When I took the time to think about what was going on the rotation of the tool head was observable as I manipulated the operating arm. If your tool head is rotating at all as it moves up and down this could be the problem.

Edited by pmclaine

This is exactly what I have been "communicating" to the Dillon guys about. I do a lot of 308, and when processing brass I damage a lot just because the alignment pins are not long enough to align the shell plate before the swage backer rod enters (or crushes) the brass.

The heads are interchangable with the RL1050 which has a shorter stroke, hence the shorter alignment pins. We really NEED a dedicated SUPER 1050 head with longer alignments pins...

How about it Gary??? :)

jj

This is exactly what I have been "communicating" to the Dillon guys about. I do a lot of 308, and when processing brass I damage a lot just because the alignment pins are not long enough to align the shell plate before the swage backer rod enters (or crushes) the brass.

The heads are interchangable with the RL1050 which has a shorter stroke, hence the shorter alignment pins. We really NEED a dedicated SUPER 1050 head with longer alignments pins...

How about it Gary??? :)

jj

Check the alignment of the primer slide operating gear. If the cam is not riding on the pin perfectly the head will be tourqued off square. You cant make adjustments at the pin just move the cam inboard or outboard a little on the primer magazine tube and watch that the tool head goes up and down without any rotation after the alignment pins leave their holes. After I figured this out I was able to pull 30-06 as quickly as my .45 ACP (Which is much slower than the Youtube super fast videos. I have to give the powder time to drop). Once I figured this out the machine loaded rifle like a dream.

Thanks for all of the input. I was able to fix the case feed issue by tighting up the shell plate some more, as I said I am a very experianced 650 user so I was use to having the shell plate on the looser side. As for the tearing of the necks, it still does it, and I am moving VERY slow way slower than I do with my 650's. I think everyone is on to the Alignment pin issue. I have removed my prime system and that may contribute to the head twisting, but my set up is for Lp and I am processing 223 (Sp) so i do not want to damage the primer pocket (guess it would be fine if it was the other way around), still need to order a Sp setup from Brian. The head does seem to have a bunch of sloop when it is at it's uppermost position (the entire shaft and bellcrank assy as well. I think Tom has the anwser, create a smooth transitional radius on the back up rod.

Thanks for all of the input. I was able to fix the case feed issue by tighting up the shell plate some more, as I said I am a very experianced 650 user so I was use to having the shell plate on the looser side. As for the tearing of the necks, it still does it, and I am moving VERY slow way slower than I do with my 650's. I think everyone is on to the Alignment pin issue. I have removed my prime system and that may contribute to the head twisting, but my set up is for Lp and I am processing 223 (Sp) so i do not want to damage the primer pocket (guess it would be fine if it was the other way around), still need to order a Sp setup from Brian. The head does seem to have a bunch of sloop when it is at it's uppermost position (the entire shaft and bellcrank assy as well. I think Tom has the anwser, create a smooth transitional radius on the back up rod.

So there is another thing that this post brings up for me. When you tighten the bolt for the head to the main shaft if the head is in the up position it can move it slightly out of alignment forcing the alignment pins to slightly move the head to get final alignment in every stroke. This happens about where it will nick the case lip on a 223.

I would suggest loosening the main shaft nut just a 1/2 turn then running the head all the way down. Once down tighten the nut again. This will ensure that the shaft and the head are in alignment when tightened. This is also the procedure suggested by dillon although I do not recall the reason Dillon gave in the Manuel. Perhaps they will respond here, if not I would recommend calling them. I process 223 at about 900-1000 pieces per hour with a shorter stroke then the Super.

Just another thought.

Check that the ball stop is centering on its seat when the handle is in the full up at rest position. The ball detent also acts as an alignment check to insure the shell plate is in its correct position. I'm loading .45 ACP right now and I note that at a few points in the rotation of the shell plate the operating arm is "sticky" on return to full "up" and the ball dentent is not able to overcome the resistance and center the shell plate.

With .45 ACP this is not an issue as the alignment pins complete the aligning, but with tall rifle brass it will be an issue.

I'll be switching to 30-06 after this run of .45 and I will have to see what the binding issue is caused by or I will be having problems. I'm guessing a bent shell plate from muffing up a swage adjustment or I may have the plate a skosh to tight.

You can adjist things until you are blue in the face (I have). Bottom line (IMHO) is the alignment pins are too short to do what they are supposed to do on the longer cartridges (308, 30.06, ect). When processing 223 (which the pins are long enough for) I can crank out upwards of 2k per hour. I don't expect that kind of speed with 308, but the pins should align the shellplate like they are supposed to with longer brass so you don't damage a bunch of it.

JJ

The whole problem lies in the shell plate it's either too loose or too tight.

I was having this same issue last night, somehow it loosened just a little while I was cranking and everything started jam up or get crushed.