Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing the way a dot tracks

DRamsey

I'm shooting a STI Trubore. I shot yesterday with a Sprinco in the gun. The dot was whippy and slow. I put a standard guide rod in the gun today and the dot tracked faster, but still not as fast on the return as I'd like. I can't change the comp, but I can change almost everything else. I'm shooting Montana Gold 124's, 7.8 gns VVN340. What % change will changing powder, bullet, and recoil spring make? Any suggestions?

Faster return? Heavier recoil spring. 340's a fast powder too.. you'll get less dot movement and more 'snap' with more of a slower powder and/or lighter bullet. How much you get depends on the powder and how you percieve it.

Don't know much about the Sprinco's, but with the standard guide rod, start with an 8-lb. ISMI with 1 blue shock buff at the rear with your Major load. Keep in mind, gun MUST FIRST be reliable, with slide coming completely home. If the 8 doesn't work, go to a 9, etc.

Likewise, wouldn't stay with N-340. Go to 3N37, or better yet & much cheaper, try IMR 7625.

My $.02 worth.

Wanna fast tracking dot??? Go to a 115 grain bullet. I have shot 115 grainers with 3N37, AA7, or SR 7625 out of a 4.5 inch gun for a couple of years and it's snappy and flat. I am switching to a 125 even though the gun cycles slower and the dot lifts more. I have come to the conclusion that flatter isn't necessarily better.

I'm running a 9lbs commander with my sprinco. I think your ok sticking with n340 in what you want to accomplish. Chris used it for years with the same comp we have so I think it's a safe bet. But like Ron said you might want to try some 115's. I have tried some of the slower powders in our comp and it seemed to slow the gun down.

One of my favorite loads was a 130gr .38 super bullet (the one intended for factory load .38super) with IMR4756 (I don't recall the powder charge, I just know you put the bullet on top of the powder and SQUEEEZE!!! :D )

It has a bit more flip, but its a soft accurate load and I can shoot it fast!! I think Matt Burkett has used a similar load in the SVI IMM pistol ande liked it.

I stick with 124's and 3n37, feels good, shoots good.

David,

115's are the heat. I was running 124's at around 8.0 grains of N350. 4 port hybrid barrel, two side ports and a 3 port comp. The gun was designed around the 175 PF. When the power factor fell, the gun was soft, but slower.

First good thing was switching to 115's. The gas volume is there and the gun is fast again. Second, I got springs from like 7-10#'s and played with what felt right. Too heavy and the muzzle jumped a smidge. Too light and it dipped. 9# was just right.

Then, I added the Sprinco (repeated the spring test) and Eureka!

So, if I were you, try your current load with reduced recoil spring weights. Next, try a few loads with 115's. Last, play with the springs again.

If you wanna get weird, experiment with different powders too. I'm going to be trying IMR 7625 soon. Just for grins.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Benny,

You did the trigger job on this gun. I don't know if you remember or not you had just gotten over the Texas Flu? I've had the slide lightened but the comp if factory. Can you compensate for the comp with different powders? I'm planning on trying 115's.