Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Dawson Sights on a G34

Dr.J

I recently purchased a G34 to begin competing in IDPA matches and want to install a Dawson adjustable rear and fiber-optic front sights on it. I am looking for comments from those of you who have installed sights on your Glocks. I've looked at the video of Dave Dawson installing the sights and it looks fairly straight forward. I have a vise with padded jaws, an air compressor, and degreasing solvent. Other than that what type/brand of file and punch do you recommend and where can they be purchased? Is a magnifier, similar to the type Dawson wears in the video nice to have or necessary? Is a sight pusher a need to or nice to have? I want to make sure that I know what I'm getting into and that I'm prepared to tackle the work. The $70 front and rear sight installation fee plus ~$30 shipping seems a little much, as did the 4 week turnaround time. Your comments and help are appreciated.

Dr.J

PS I also posted this this request in the Gunsmithing forum.

what type/brand of file and punch do you recommend and where can they be purchased?

craftsmen from sears they cost a little extra but you break them and they give you new ones for free, sooner or later you break them

Is a magnifier, similar to the type Dawson wears in the video nice to have or necessary?

not for this job

Is a sight pusher a need to or nice to have?

very nice to have

1. don't over think it as it's pretty caveman, I've used a delrin punch for sights I couldn't put in a pusher (ruger mk's) before it's a hard plastic that will not mar and is much cheaper than brass

2. get that front sight down fairly hard, I usually use a tiny pair of 3" vice grips on the front sight tool for that little extra leverage

3. loctite that front sight

I am not muscle bound, so mebbe it's just me, but I've never been able to get metal after market signts to go into a std Glock dovetail easily with a sight pusher. For me, a brass punch and cleanup afterwards with copper solvent was actually faster.

LocTite is good. Megatorque on the FS screw isn't. I managed to break one FS screw while tightening it, and another broke during use, mebbe from the same.

Edited by kevin c

I had to remove a little material to get mine in on my Glock 34. I had my front sight wobble loose initially. Had to retighten and reloctite. This was my first experience changing sights on a gun. I don't get to shoot much but I've put a couple thousand rounds through with no further issues.

Yes

A loooong time ago, my Dawson sights came with an aluminum punch with delrin tip. They also included a front sight tool, but I already had a better one. Do they not come with these tools anymore?

I use steel punches to remove the factory glock sights and the 10-8 Performance delrin drift punches to install the sights. They also sell the front sight tool as well.

Good Luck

Its simple to install both the front and rear. I do finger thight then a little ektra with pliers on the wrench ie just a tiny bit extra. On the rear, I have found you dont need to remove much if any metal on the dawsons like you do on the sevigney sights. Loctite in the grove for the rear and on the set screw. make sure to degrease and dry before using the loctite. glocks are easily done with the tools included. if by chance you need to remove material, sandpaper works well laying flat and rubbing sight over it

Edited by EkuJustice

I had to file a pretty good bit on the Dawson rear going on a 23. Blue marker will remove brass marks but I got a handful of carbon punches for next to nothing from Brownells. I like them because you can be aggressive and wont tear anything up.