Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A new meaning of shooting on the move...

andoy

I dont think you call that shooting on the move :devil::cheers:

EDIT to add: I think you answered your question. Watch your slow-mo, by the time you were up in the air and fired your first shot, you could be planted on the ground and be more stable and got 2 A's. Its cool to watch none the less. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Torogi

Do you guys think it was worth it? I managed to pull the fastest time on the stage, however had a "D" which bumped me down one place from getting the stage win.

You got all the style points, but I can't imagine you were any faster than coming in and tagging that target on a more controlled lean/fall/step. Also a lot less chance of something going wrong when there's one foot on the ground.

But you looked damned good.

thanks guys! I figured if I plant myself before the fault line, i would have lost a lot of momentum gained from the run. I guess it's a trade off of speed and accuracy. But how good would it be if I was able to tag double alpha on the last paper! hehe :rolleyes:

You lost at lest a second on that stage by staying stationary at the start and drawing to the middle target before moving to the left. You could have moved to the left as you drew the gun masking your draw time in your movement to the first shooting position. Doing this would also smooth out your movement through the stage on the middle and right which would eliminate the need to run and jump like a monkey.

In the end it all comes down to consistency. Ask yourself honestly if you could achieve solid hits if you shot the stage 10 times in a row? Or were you just "Hoping" your hits onto the target? You may get lucky some times by doing bold/risky moves like you did on a stage, but the cash and burn factor is very high when doing this. If you think of a match as a marathon where consistency wins taking risks like this can quickly wreck your whole match.

Edited by CHA-LEE

looked fast & on the Razors edge

But your last post had two (IFs) in it. IF you had to do that to win the stage and IF you had gotten two As would you keep it in your plan for a national level match ?

IF a stage required that for a shooting position , <_< I would seriously consider leaving before the match started.

Because I would not want to be at a match when someone got hurt.

Not saying its wrong for you, but I can think of many that would try and follow and have a safety problem

The port on the first target in front of the barrel is very narrow. Beginning my movement to the left as I drew the gun would hinder my view of the target thus having the need of shooting it stationary. I did manage to pull off a 5.33 on this stage while the rest were in the low 6's. But yes, you are correct with the consistency. I probably would have taken the stage win if I called all my shots instead of "hopers". At the end of it all, I gave my squad a good laugh which in return is a good feeling in my part. :cheers:

looked fast & on the Razors edge

But your last post had two (IFs) in it. IF you had to do that to win the stage and IF you had gotten two As would you keep it in your plan for a national level match ?

IF a stage required that for a shooting position , <_< I would seriously consider leaving before the match started.

Because I would not want to be at a match when someone got hurt.

Not saying its wrong for you, but I can think of many that would try and follow and have a safety problem

I agree. As I was doing the walk through for this stage, I already planned on getting airborne on the last target. As I knew I was capable of performing this safely, I went through with the plan. Other shooters saw this but never attempted. My goal was to see if I was able to pull it off safely and see where my limitations are. This is how we progress in this sport. :)

The port on the first target in front of the barrel is very narrow. Beginning my movement to the left as I drew the gun would hinder my view of the target thus having the need of shooting it stationary. I did manage to pull off a 5.33 on this stage while the rest were in the low 6's. But yes, you are correct with the consistency. I probably would have taken the stage win if I called all my shots instead of "hopers". At the end of it all, I gave my squad a good laugh which in return is a good feeling in my part. :cheers:

With mesh vision barrier walls you could point at the target well before getting to the actual shooting position allowing you to keep moving as you shot the middle target. If this was a solid wall stage I would agree with you. But mesh walls make it way easier to index on targets before you actually get to the shooting position.

With mesh vision barrier walls you could point at the target well before getting to the actual shooting position allowing you to keep moving as you shot the middle target. If this was a solid wall stage I would agree with you. But mesh walls make it way easier to index on targets before you actually get to the shooting position.

makes sense!! I'll keep that in mind next time I encounter one. :cheers:

I think you lost time, you planted both feet, and quickly bent both legs to leap, rather than maintaining momentum with a simple lean out. It looks cool though.

Mark K

With the amount of speed and momentum I had after engaging the 2nd last target, a simple lean out was not possible without tumbling over. With that being said, I would have had to slow down before engaging the 2nd last target to set up my stance to have a solid plant with a little bit of leaning momentum to engage the last target. A time of 5.33 compared to everyone's low 6's showed that it was indeed a faster way of doing the COF, but from previous posts, I learned that getting my hits was far more superior than time.

• 2 weeks later...

You lost at lest a second on that stage by staying stationary at the start and drawing to the middle target before moving to the left. You could have moved to the left as you drew the gun masking your draw time in your movement to the first shooting position. Doing this would also smooth out your movement through the stage on the middle and right which would eliminate the need to run and jump like a monkey.

Ok, I'm curious. Which target would you engage first? Still the one in the middle?

That was some funny %%^^!! Not sure if I would of leaped but huge style points. I have often did the one legged lean and then fall out from cover but you sir have bested that

!!

hehe thanks! It seemed like the natural thing to do with all the momentum I had.

Lol. Oh man this is gonna become a thing. Uspsa trick shots! Next someone will post a video of themself jumping and doing a 180 (while not letting gun break 180 rule of course) and making a shot.

I say totally worth it.

This will make the sport much more entertaining for viewers!... Of course, safety being the primary focus.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well in fairness lets look at some of the stage results:

1 S, Alex 48 5.51 8.7114 50.0000 100.0000

2 P, George 50 6.12 8.1699 46.8920 93.7800

3 A, Andrew 43 5.33 8.0675 46.3043 92.6100

4 G, Mike 49 6.09 8.0460 46.1806 92.3600

5 S, Doni 50 6.34 7.8864 45.2649 90.5300

6 E, Robert 48 6.18 7.7670 44.5793 89.1600

7 L, Mike 47 6.15 7.6423 43.8635 87.7300

You were not quite 2/10 of a second faster than Alex and I know he didn't jump at the end.

While fun to do and cool looking if you pull it off (I know I've done that kind of thing myself a few times) it is no faster and much more risky. A trigger freeze or bad timing and you either bite a penalty or have to run back for the box....You're running with the big boys up here now, you can't afford to give up penalties anymore...Muahaha!

CHA-LEE is right, listen to him, (ok maybe not a full second faster...I'd say about a half second) but standing for that shot costs time. I've run that exact thing on the timer and you never want to do a standing draw on a stage like that. The faster way to run that is to dart to the left on the draw and pick that target up on the way back. You eliminate the draw time by using it to move, lets call it a 1.10 draw so maybe it takes you 1.5-2.0 to get to the first target(far left)...it seems like you lose time right? Wrong, thats distance you had to cover anyways, so you've removed the draw from the stage, otherwise you add 1.1 to the stage by standing there. Yes you have to stop to pick that target up on the way back, but that aquisition only adds a short amount of time since you should be entering that position with the gun up and ready to shoot. So add back about a half second, in other words you could have shot that in the 4's... :D

• 2 weeks later...