Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Real USPSA Match

Well I finally went to an actual USPSA match this past Sunday in Westfield MA. I have been shooting IPSC/USPSA/IDPA type matches at my local range for the past couple of years but never had the nerve to join USPSA and shoot in a match. The match was a total of 6 stages and were all classifier stages which I was told that 6 classifiers weren't the normal, typical is 5 stages plus a classifier. This worked in my favor since I didn't have to move much and I could focus on my main goal, stay safe and don't get DQ'd.

I arrived there a little over an hour early and found the guy that convinced me to try it and offered to help out. As soon as they were done setting up, the RO and another gentlemen walked me through the 6 stages and helped me decide what class and everything else. I ended up shooting my Glock 22 for this match since I didn't have a good holster for my Glock 35, I shot Limited with major pf.

Over all I did alright, didn't break any speed records by any means but I was safe and that was my goal so I would say it was a successful day.

If anyone that is reading this is thinking about trying a match you should go do it! I wish I had done this a year or two ago. I can't speak for other clubs but where I was they were awesome. I can't say enough good things about everyone in my squad, the two RO's were great, made me feel welcome, took the time to show me around the stages and everything else, two great guys and it was a great experience!

Good stuff! The first match is the hardest for a lot of folks, and getting that behind them is a good thing. Nice work showing up early to help setup, I'm sure your help was much appreciated. Keep at it, and help the sport grow by getting more of your shooting buddies to watch a match, and maybe shoot one too.

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

The first match is usually the hardest. The first match is usually followed by the self-directed questions: "That was sooooooo much fun, why didn't I start doing this last month / last year / ten years ago when I had the chance?!?"

Glad you had fun (and didn't DQ yourself). Come back for more, and enjoy it. :cheers:

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

The first match is usually the hardest. The first match is usually followed by the self-directed questions: "That was sooooooo much fun, why didn't I start doing this last month / last year / ten years ago when I had the chance?!?"

Glad you had fun (and didn't DQ yourself). Come back for more, and enjoy it. :cheers:

YUP! Welcome

Thanks for the replies folks. Oh yeah.... the self directed questions came as soon as I was done with with following the RO's last commands at the end of the first stage. I have to say it was pretty intimidating seeing all the folks with high dollar race guns and the shooting shirts on but it wasn't bad at all. I do plan to keep on volunteering to help set-up and will never be the guy to be told to tape, I don't want to be called "No tape Steve". Thanks again to all the guys that helped me out in Westfield and to all the folks here for the encouragement.

Steve

Normally you have to shoot 4 matches to get classified or 'ranked', as there is only one classifier stage per match. With the setup you went to, you will be ranked as early as next month when the update is ran at headquaters.

Welcome to the addiction!! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you're looking for a cheap holster, the Uncle Mike's plastic paddle holster (the one with the open bottom) will fit every regular framed Glock. I used my for a 17/19/22/34. It's even pulling double duty on my CZ75 until I get one made. (left handed CZ holsters are not very common!)

As long as it's a paddle and not a belt loop, it is legal for USPSA and IDPA.

• 3 weeks later...

Every now and then it is good to hear story's such as yours to refresh our memory's about being the new guy and just starting to drink the Kool-aid and eat the magic brownies at a USPSA/IPSC match. (You have to shoot Open Division/The Dark Side to get cookies as that is the only way they share them). I can still remember my first match.........wow, I was bad (and not in a good way). But, I had a blast and kept coming back. I love to see that in our new shooters that we recruit. They all get this look in thier eyes that says that they are addicted and want more.

Learn the game,take an RO class and pay attention to some of the better shooters in your group. You'll be amazed at how far you will come in short while as our competitors are the best in the world.

And don't ever add up all your expenses for the shooting sports. You don't want know what you really spent. Really, you don't. Denial is a better place to live in when it comes to this topic. Especially if you have a significant other who monitors your spending.

R

• 2 weeks later...

That first one really is the hardest! I've been doing it about a year now and I love it more every time I go. :)

I think, OP, we were both lucky to have such great people at our competition ranges. Everyone where I compete is extremely nice, helpful, and willing to answer questions or give helpful hints to help you improve. I've made some good friends too. It's what makes this my favorite thing to do.

Good to hear. I am doing my first match tomorrow, got a sponsor (Father In-Law) and picked up a Glock 35 today, I was going to shoot my 23.

(and I was happy to find out my Uncle Mikes holster fit the 35 too)

I too am just looking to complete the stages safely. I did pretty good in a practice session earlier in the week, so hopefully tomorrow goes ok.

rg