Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remmy 1100 for 3 gun?

BigBamBoo

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. I am starting to collect gear for 3 gun matches, but am having a heck of a time with finding a shotgun. I have done some basic searching on this subject, but am still coming up dry. Why is the 1100 poo pooed for three gun? Reliability problems? Gas operated?

I ask because one of the local shops has a 20" model with extended mag, over sized bolt handle, etc. And I can not find a Benelli, Mossberg 930, etc., to save my life.

So I am wondering if the 1100 would be "ok" as a stepping stone rig until I can pick up a M2 or something else.

Thanks for the input, Stan

As much as you may want to, stay away from the 1100, I had one for 7 years, a 1100 Competition Master, set up from Remington for 3 gun. It was ok for about 3 years and then it started having issues, I changed the piston, honed out the chamber, drilled out the gas ports, kept it clean, changed the O-rings each time I cleaned it, which had to be done after each match, changed the recoil spring to a Sure-Cycle, change the interceptor latch, used only Winchester AA for matches, used Mobile 1 Oil, and it still has problems, and always at a match, and of course the USPSA 3 Gun Nationals, 2 years in a row.

Other 3 gunners I know have problems also, only shooter I know that had good luck with his Remington 1187 got it from JP when they were doing them.

I bought a Salient Benelli. Very happy, but I would look at the Remington Versa Max Tactical or buy a Mossberg pump until you can get a Benelli, they kick about the same! LOL! Good luck with your search.

Many have traveled the Rem 1100 path, and few have avoided the crash and burn...Here is a thread with some relevant discussion.

I started with 1100s and for the most part, mine ran fine. I cleaned it and worked on it a lot. I knew what to look for and what to change before failure occurred. When a 930JM can be had for less money than a 1100 CM or Tac4, just can't recommend them.

FNH SLPs are available and are a good reliable platform that should serve you well for many years.

Same input here. The 1100 has too many moving parts and is entirely depedant on gas pressure during the entire action sequence. They can be finicky at varying altitudes (which is a problem in Colorado) as well. They are difficult to learn to load fast. You have to install the EZ lift gate (which is a bit of work) and then you have this big paddle hanging off the bottom of the receiver to both get in the way of your reloading and to bend or break when you are tossing you shotty onto a table or into a barrel. All of the new designs are, simpler, more reliable and easier to maintian. The SLP works well, I've heard good things about the 930JM, the new Versa Max and of course the're Benelli. The M1 and M2's are king of the hill for good reason. They work and they are the easiest to maintain. Try Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs. They usually have a 24" M2 on the shelf.

NO! i too had bought a brand new, but discontinued 1100 CM i only got months out of it before i could not make it run. but i will say i am NO shotgun guy in anyway, shape or form. I have had a M2 for awhile now and wish i had gotten it first.

as stated the FN is ready to go out of the box, and i now also have a Versa Max, so far so good, but it looks like Remington took all the best Idea's from Benilli and put them into one gun. if can find a Versa Max Tactical it is also ready to 3 gun out of the box.

I had a 1100 CM for many years and it ran great. The problem was the EZ loader it broke at two major matches. At Fort Benning there was a stage that required crawling through a tunnel at which point the EZ loader caught on something and snapped off disabiling the gun. Now I have an M2

I had a 1100 CM for many years and it ran great. The problem was the EZ loader it broke at two major matches. At Fort Benning there was a stage that required crawling through a tunnel at which point the EZ loader caught on something and snapped off disabling the gun. Now I have an M2

Shot skeet with a couple of wonderful people who had 1100's, they absolutely LOVED those guns and the husband was an avid gun collector and very good working on guns. They had to give them up and got some Beretta's because he got tired of the constant breakdowns and constant maintenance.

I'm on my second one. Some scumbag stole the first one at a match about two years ago. I love my 1100s and I totally disagree with people who claim that they are unreliable. The 1100 is softer shooting than any of the other multi gun shotguns and I will continue to shoot mine.

If the Mossburg turns out to be a good shotgun, I would consider that, too. I have no interest in owning an imported shotgun that is subject to 922® for multi-gun when there are non-imported shotguns out there.

Im part of a group of six 3-gunners and we all started with 1100's and all of us went to Benelli's after so many match disasters with them.

If you want to shoot a Remington the Versa-Max is the hot ticket.

Run one here without issue. I have foung it is not quite as fast to load as some of the other guns out there due to the carrier design. The felt recoil is much lower than the benelli etc. Yes I clean mine on a regular basis which isnt a big deal

I'm on my second one. Some scumbag stole the first one at a match about two years ago. I love my 1100s and I totally disagree with people who claim that they are unreliable. The 1100 is softer shooting than any of the other multi gun shotguns and I will continue to shoot mine.

If the Mossburg turns out to be a good shotgun, I would consider that, too. I have no interest in owning an imported shotgun that is subject to 922® for multi-gun when there are non-imported shotguns out there.

Sorry for the hi-jack here people, I am also doing research for my first shotgun (well for 3 gun) and while reading this thread I happen upon this statement.....that someone actually not only attempted but also got away with stealing someone's gun!! What kind of crap is that? The one place you would think where other people are looking out for others and their property, right? Thieves are the lowest scum, right there with child molesters.

As for the shotgun issue....I myself am leaning towards an FN after all my research, and trust me I have burned through hundreds of shotty reviews over the past 2 months. I have my eye on the Winchester Defenders also as well as a CZ Utility.

Anthony