Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surrender Draw

TriggerT

This tip was given to me from IPSCEric, who is one of the lurking members here on the forum.

He mentioned to me that when you are doing a draw from surrender to try and keep the shoulder and hand on you strong side back. This way as your hand is going down to snatch the gun from the holster it is going forward into the beavertail safety (1911 owners) and you reduce the risk of coming down on top of the beavertail. Coming down on top of the beavertail safety hasn't been a big problem for me, but when it does happen it completly kills the draw, and can hurt . Simple tip that I thought I would pass along. ;)

also to add to that, Not bringing your weak hand all the way down. I have seen some people on surrender draw bring their weak hand down to almost belt level.

The problem that I see with this is it creates alot of wasted motion and extra movement on your weak side.

Good tip.

That tip is on the forums on here somwhere. There's also something to be said for moving your gun/holster forward on your belt (for shooting Steel Challenge, all surrender) or just shifting the slack forward (for shooting a surrender stage at an IPSC match).

Kingman,

Bringing your weak hand down came be advantageous in securing a proper grip milli-seconds before you break the shot. Also too, it can create a more controled ryhthm moving both hands down, then up again, thus moving "FASTER".

Dan

I think they are all good tips.

My advice - don't over complicate the draw. Whatever gets your hand on the gun solid and quick is the technique to go with. I've screwed with it endlessly and found that no matter what position the gun or hand is in - if I focus on getting to the gun clean I perform a better draw . . .

Just my $.02

JB

D. carden - I was talking I have seen people move it as low as the belt. I don't see a reason for that much movement. But you could be right I will try to allow some more movement this wknd in practice and see what happens.

My advice - don't over complicate the draw. Whatever gets your hand on the gun solid and quick is the technique to go with. I've screwed with it endlessly and found that no matter what position the gun or hand is in - if I focus on getting to the gun clean I perform a better draw . . .

Just my $.02

JB

I can't remember if I read it, or if it was on one of the videos from one of the GM's, but they summed it up by saying that you should focus on "Getting to the shooting" reguardless of what the start possition is. Good advice.

i've seen alll kinds of insane positions.. i've seen people have wrists above heads ! reaching out in front of them.. alll sorts of things. for ipsc i like my hands near the bill of my had and i see a lot of GM's having them near there. what makde the biggest difference for me was leaving my elbos out and just reaching down not having to sweep my arm all the way back.

i bring my hand down to the same place it is when i draw from hands at sides... not wasted time and an even motion besides then i'm starting from exactly the same draw stroke. consistancy is the key if it knocks the gun out of the holster 1 of 10 times it's not very consistant.

Just my $.02

JB

That's good advice. Everybody makes everything so complicated. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we all just let it happen, and just shoot.

To go along with Matt and Barnestormer,

I am reading that "Golf is not a game of Perfect" book right now. The author seems to make fun of those who are always focused on the perfection of form instead of the game itself. He notes how the true greats of the game never really had perfect form and some even had really bad form. Interesting!

Just my $.02

JB

Yep. I'll grap the bill of my hat, just because it is a good repeatable reference point and I know my wrists will be above my shoulders. I'll also look at my gun to get a visual refernce point. Once the buzzer goes my eyes will snap to the first target. Seems to work ok and I don't snag my sights with the web of my hand that way :)

D. carden - I was talking I have seen people move it as low as the belt. I don't see a reason for that much movement. But you could be right I will try to allow some more movement this wknd in practice and see what happens.

It doesn't matter if you go all the way below the belt, your right hand is doing that, just as long as you can get it to the gun when it needs to be there. Sort of like the flick in the reload, it may be extra movement, but it takes no time because you are multitasking already and you have dead time there. You could slap your thigh with wour weakhand and it wouldn't take any more time, it might actually make your draw smoother since that is the way you draw normally.

I have my hands in the draw position (left on stomach, right on gun, just as I want my grip to be), and then on the "Are you ready?" or facsimile thereof, take a deep breath, exhale, and rotate up at the elbows. Focus on getting the gun out of the holster.

What slows my 1st shot down is my slow reaction to the beep and not seeing fast enough.

My weak hand position wheather hands-up, or relaxed at sides is to cross over and grip the strong hand in the bottom-half of the draw. This is also where i would begin strong-to-weak transfer for weak hand shooting. It allows a smooth non-stop movement to the sight-picture for either.

Dan