Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mill, Lathe, Router, CNC for Beginners

I see there are some really talented people on this forum when it comes to using machines to cut blocks of metal into things that go bang. This stuff is all really fascinating to me and has me a bit curious. I'm not trying to accomplish anything in particular, but expand my knowledge a bit. As it stands for me now, a trigger job and a bit of sandpaper on the grip is about as sporty as I get. I guess one day it might be cool to cut into a slide or machine a comp, but that is way off in the distant future, if ever. Any books or video series that explains these machines to beginners? It doesn't even have to apply to guns, just metal and cutting.

Thanks

I looked on you tube but a lot of the videos use jargon I'm not familiar with as they were showing off techniques not basics. Then a lot of videos where people were explaining things, but the camera was pointed in the corner. YouTube can be frustrating finding what you want sometimes. That link is perfect. Should keep me busy for a while. Thanks

There is a book by the Southbend lathe company called "How to run a lathe". It's an old book written in the 1940's I think, but still very relevant. It has a lot of good pictures too.

The lathe and mill are the 2 basic machine shop tools. There are some things you can make with one or the other, but if you have both you can make almost anything you can dream up. There are a lot of smaller home shop size lathes and mills available currently, some better than others.

There is a Home Shop Machinist Forum that is a very worthwhile resource also.

OHF - Brevard Community College has some machine shop technology courses that might be worthwhile for you.

If you want to try this stuff at home there are a couple decent small combo machines that can do the job. As Shopguy said the home shop machinist forum (.net) is a good one. I had a ShopTask combo machine for a few years and as long as one understood and worked within its limits it did a good job and it was fairly compact considering it's capabilities. If I were to rig up another home metal shop I would rather have a separate mill and lath, but that takes up a lot more space. Considering that all the tooling, fixtures, measuring gizmos, etc. are pretty expensive and if you just want to use it to build one or two guns IMHO it is much cheaper, and certainly less demanding on your time, to just to get a good gunsmith to do the job for you. Also, if he screws up a barrel/slide/frame, you don't have to pay for it. ;)

@jriera - Good call, I have a an AGI AR-15 video. It was really informative, I'll check it out.

@Toolguy - Yeah, I've seen a few second hand Grizzly and Harbor Freight machines pretty cheap. Not sure how good they are, but for 300 dollars I'm sure they will work to learn and play on. Then down the road upgrade to better machines if I enjoy it.

@Bamboo - Where have you been? We still need to link up. I was asking Bob D(aka Seeker) about you to put a face with the name. He said he hadn't seen you in a bit to point you out. I'll keep looking for a guy with a caspian frame with wood grips and a dot :D I'll have to link up at the next match. Should be at the Malbar and Titusville Match in July.

Yeah, this is more for education, less about building my own gun. For now :ph34r: I'm one of those guys that's always tinkering on something and thinking I just need this piece to do this. Anyways,I've got Dave Pruitt on the task for my open build, should be done just in time for the nice fall weather too. Right now I'm back shooting Limited, but will be shooting Open again by the Monster Match.

www.cnczone.com

www.cnccookbook.com

More info on those sites than you can absorb. I am just nearing completion of a 1 year plus effort of converting a manual mill to cnc, it is documented here, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/122462-pm-45_cnc_conversion_rf45.html

IMG_2348.jpg

Now thats cool right there! :cheers:

www.cnczone.com

www.cnccookbook.com

More info on those sites than you can absorb. I am just nearing completion of a 1 year plus effort of converting a manual mill to cnc, it is documented here, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/122462-pm-45_cnc_conversion_rf45.html

Now thats cool right there! :cheers:

And I second that. Now see that just looks like fun.

Paul you should buy this and I will help you figure out how to use it.

Ok now phase 1 :unsure: phase 3 :unsure: 3/16 :unsure: variable rpm :unsure: .015 :eatdrink:

Edited by OperationHitFactor

If you lived a little closer we could just go in halves! Between the two of us I bet we could figure it out. :cheers:

Where have you been?

See it's been raining a lot lately, it's also been stupid hot outside and recently I met this wonderful 5'5" brown eyed girl who calls me on Friday nights. That is all I have to say about that.

Notice the part on the computer was a scope lever.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

If you dont want to spend a year building a machine you can buy the industry leader in hobby cnc machines.

www.tormach.com

pcnc1100_s3_cat_bg.jpg

Anyways, I'll be up bright and early for Malabar and Titusville in July. Just might need a few cups of coffee and it maybe stage 3 before I have my sea legs, but I will be there.

lol, very nice on the 5'5" friend :cheers: I will be missing Malabar because of the Pro-am but I will probably make Titusville. Probably hitting Orlando for some kind of steel match Saturday.

By the way, that's really freaking cool. So with a CNC you just use a CAD program and per specs it just cuts it out of steel?

Design in CAD, then use CAM, which might be an integrated program if you run high end software, otherwise they are seperate things. CAD defines the geometry and CAM is what creates machine toolpaths. Then CAM needs to post process the toolpaths and create G-code, which is a text language that cnc machines can read and then move. The machine runs on a third piece of software that reads g code and makes the machine do what you want.

Got it. Seems to me like a lot of programming would go into setting up the path. I'm guessing that for multiple parts that it would be great though, because once you have the paths programmed you can replicate the same parts quickly.

Those are some cute little CNC VMCs (Verticle Milling Centers). I have a Bridgeport EZTraX in my corner at work with a little Hardinge lathe that I would love to have at home, but I have the next best thing, my buddy has them in his shop behind his house.

The easiest way to look at machining as a whole are two key points:

1) Holding the part, if I can hold it I can machine it. BUT the more rigidly I can hold it the better.

2) Its all about removing material and there really is no right, or best, way to do it because its all a matter of opinion. Ask 15 machinist how to make a part and you'll likely get 15 different ways. There are better ways of doing things but sometime time or availability interfere with the preferred way of doing something.

I went to trade school for two years and have been machining for 17 years and learn something new every day. The guys you need to watch out for are those that know everything, I've spent most of my time on manual machines and still see room for improvement. Granted I'm not making chips 50 hours a week any more, more like 5-10, and like anything you get rusty but I wouldn't trade the last 17 years for any other trade.

Have fun, I have/do :cheers: !

Last fall I took a night vo-tech class for precision machining the instructor pretty much let us make whatever we wanted (legal of course). I made 5 different comps along with 1 inch & 30mm alignment bars for scope mounting. Great way to learn about the mill & lathe without spending $ or worrying about damaging a friends equipment. Just a thought

later

If you just want to cut some metal and learn a little look for a vocational school that offers "adult education". Usually it is the same instructor that teaches the high school classes and is making some extra cash during evenings and weekends. Or look for a techincal college with a certificate program. Certificate programs are usually just the machine courses and none of the other courses.

It is best to learn on someone elses stuff. Cause you are going to break things. You don't need a cnc and a bunch of cad/cam software to make most parts. You need to learn how to fixture a part and how to use trigonometry to make it work. Don't buy hobby machines. That is code for weak junk. I would rather have an old bridgeport mill and south bend lathe that has been rebuilt with digital read outs than most of the new hobby stuff out there.

2) Its all about removing material and there really is no right, or best, way to do it because its all a matter of opinion.

I have zero education in metalworking, I simply bought a Harbor Fright mini-mill and started removing material.... There may be no "right" way, but there sure are a lot of wrong ways and I have discovered most of them :lol: