Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Torn between divisions...

MikeRush

I understand the requirements for different divisions- I have an adjustable sighted 1911 with an ICE magwell that would work for SS or Limited 10, and a G17 set up for carry that I could use in production. I have been shooting local steel matches infrequently for a couple of years, but I have begun training more seriously and I am becoming more confident with my abilities. Switching back and forth between the guns takes some time for me to get reacquainted with the characteristics of each. I don't currently carry or shoot IDPA or other sports.

I am planning on shooting my first USPSA match on Thursday. I can't decide whether I should start out shooting single stack or production. I have roughly 5k of components for the 1911 minus brass (I probably have 2500 or so pieces)- and some of the matches I shoot are lost brass matches. Ammo for me is cheaper in .45 as I have a good amount of lead and can cast the bullets I need. I shoot the 1911 much better, and the glock has the dot connector and night sights- the 1911 is the clear game gun for me. I am set up to reload both calibers, and I can make kydex mag pouches for either set up. Either way I need a couple more mags so that doesn't play into the equation.

I am looking for opinions. I feel like running the 1911 would help me to be able to focus on the the movement, stage breakdown, reloads, etc while still being able to get solid hits. It would also help me as I can shoot CA Legal division at local 3 gun with the 10 rd mags. The Glock, for me, takes a lot more effort in managing the fundamentals to get hits, and I am generally a bit slower with it. The extra difficulty in managing the fundamentals may make me a better shooter. I will try both divisions to find out where I fit best, but I want to pick one and stick with it for the next at least 6 months or so, and maybe longer.

Which division would you start in, and why? It seems most people start in production, but already have a few years behind the 1911 and only a few months with the Glock.

Most people start production because that is what they already have. Add a couple of mags and some pouches, you are ready to go. You are already comfortable with the 1911 and have the gear, so stick with the 1911. Add 5 or 6 ten round mags and you have a good LIM 10 setup.

I love running L10 in my SS Kimber. I'm not quite as fast on my reloads as I am with a widebody 2011 with a magwell, but I'm fast enough and my SS is probably the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

I have a set of no-gap basepads on the way for my Dawson no-gap magwell, so I'm hoping to play a little bit in the single stack division locally. We'll see how that goes.

I started with 1911s because i shot those better than any other guns i had at the time. Also started reloading .45 around the same time. Gear was simple and cheap.

Still shooting SS cuz that's what i love.

I'd recommend going with SS and see how you like it. You can always change up and shoot Production with a different holster and mag pouches.

Al

Sounds like my 1911 is coming out of the safe! I need to call Dawson about a taller front sight as my rear is bottomed out and I am still a bit high, and maybe a new extractor- then its on! I figure I will use up the components I have then reassess. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I just moved to SS after my first year of USPSA shooting Production. I liked Production, and my Production gun, but SS is a lot of fun. Something about mastering the 1911 I guess. And those BIG holes in the target. I actually moved becasue I ran out of reloads for Production and had a lot of .45 in various cans ready to go. I am also set up for Revolver (gasp) and plan on shooting some later this year with the old S&W 25.