Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt requirement

Out of Ammo

This is exactly the information I was looking for. My 2" tool belt is legal without belt loops if secure; it is just an easily avoidable handicap. The proper belts at Shooter's Connection are very reasonable, maybe I should buy an extra one to go with my dress shoes.

The RO had already ruled that I could shoot this weekend using the tool belt (local match) but it would be considered illegal for a "real" match if I went somewhere. I will have a proper belt long before I venture away from home so it really does not matter but thanks for the rule clarification.

The Midwayusa belt is affordable too. I have several and they work great for me. They are not as stiff as a DAA but I think they have even came out with one that is less stiff for people that thought the originals were too stiff. I Think that's right.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. My 2" tool belt is legal without belt loops if secure; it is just an easily avoidable handicap. The proper belts at Shooter's Connection are very reasonable, maybe I should buy an extra one to go with my dress shoes.

The RO had already ruled that I could shoot this weekend using the tool belt (local match) but it would be considered illegal for a "real" match if I went somewhere. I will have a proper belt long before I venture away from home so it really does not matter but thanks for the rule clarification.

I'm trying to figure out this post. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

But I do know you are being ill served at your local match. All RO's I know would call you out for illegal gear instantly and pass it on to the MD. The MD's I know would most likely only let you wear a tool belt one time. After that you would need to have properly worn gear.

The worst thing they are doing is teaching you that local batches are not "real" matches. If your local matches don't do things just like level II OR III matches they certainly are not doing anyone any favors.

If you are shooting in bib overalls, you have no class! :roflol:

Best thing I've seen on the internet! If you are going to shoot then get the gear necessary to do it. As has been pointed out, the price of one match and ammo for the day will get you the right stuff.

Yes there was some sarcasm there. It is nearly impossible to convey tone with text.

If the belt had been illegal per the old rules, I consider your response to be very reasonable. I would not be offended with a "No, you can't do that." I think that we can both agree that at a level 2 or higher match there would be no allowance for such a thing even once. Your response is basically the response I was given just worded differently. My paraphrasing was poor. The real message that I took from the answer that I was given was that I could wear the belt but it would not be long before I figured out that I do not want to. The fact that the tool belt is legal by the current rules simplifies things.

Interestingly, I tried an old 1 inch military style belt with the friction buckle that would have been legal by the old rule and it was completely unacceptable to the level that I would call it unsafe. Everything flopped around during casual movement and I had concerns that it could dump the entire rig (and maybe my pants) during aggressive movement.

A normal every day belt was more secure, but stuff was still flopping around to the point that grip tensions needed to be dialed way up to make sure that nothing fell out and the holster moved during the draw.

The 2 inch tool belt is much more stable and secure, but that might be more about my bonus layer of fat preventing any upward movement. There is no belt movement during the draw and to the amazement and bewilderment of my wife, I was able to do the funky chicken with the grip tensions backed off to a reasonable level with nothing falling out.

But all of that was enough that I already have a "proper" belt on the way so by the match next weekend this will just be an amusing memory.

Plus, now we have a record of a belt option for overalls.

I started when Ted Blocker rigs were ne plus ultra for "combat competition" and yes it was a PITA to rig up and down before and after a match. Funny thing is that I'm now using the old Blocker belt (with velcro glued to the inside) as my outer belt with a Safariland holster and CR speed pouches. Custom attachments for the pouches since the belt is 1 3/4' wide but it sure is easy to put on with the buckle being in front. Good for SS, L-10, and Limited with a change of spacers.

As far as attachment without belt loops is concerned, one of our better shooters had his wife sew the soft side of the 1 1/2" velcro tape you can buy at fabric or hardware stores to his surf shorts at waist level because that's what he likes to shoot in.