Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer upside down

tires2burn

This is my second post in about as many days. Why would my primer flip over before getting to the case? This has happened a couple times since I got my 550.( About a couple thousand rounds.) The lever pulled easier and when I checked the rounds I found a primer upside down in the case. Also, what do I do with the bad round?

IDK the why part in a 550.

When this happens (occasionally) to me, I use a kinetic bullet puller, dump the powder back into the measure, save the bullet, and if in a good mood I would press the primer out with the decapper pin and reuse the primer and case. If I was grumpy I'd toss the case into my junk brass container.

IDK the why part in a 550.

When this happens (occasionally) to me, I use a kinetic bullet puller, dump the powder back into the measure, save the bullet, and if in a good mood I would press the primer out with the decapper pin and reuse the primer and case. If I was grumpy I'd toss the case into my junk brass container.

This is what I normally do but being that the primer is inside out I'm afraid of the decaper setting of the primer. Any possibility of that happening?

1. The primer was upside down in the tube when it was filled.

2. The primer flipped in the tube.

Number two can only happen if you are using the wrong size primer tube. ie. large tube for small primers. If it only happens very rarely it's probably operator error or an act of Murphy. Soak it in WD-40 to deactvate the primer and diassemble.

Now don’t laugh but after the primer bar has picked up the primer and the primer bar sticks a little and then continues on it hits home a little harder than in a normal stroke and when it hits home the primer will flip over..seen it many times over the last 20 years…ok laugh.

I'm not laughing cause I watched it do that. The primer was kinda wedged in the cup crooked and then it kinda let go and threw the primer out. The first one ended upside down and caused this post. Thanks

being that the primer is inside out I'm afraid of the decaper setting of the primer. Any possibility of that happening?

You might be able to set it off if you hammer it with the decap. I have removed maybe 15 live primers total, some b/c they were flipped backwards and some the right way. None of them have popped during removal and when reused they all fired correctly.

A primer is what...$.02 a piece?

I use the Dillon pick up tubes for my Lock n load press and I've had a few upside down primers and I think they are flipping in the tube.

That can't happen once the primer is in the tube. The diagonal measurement of the primer is greater than the ID of the tube.

Pat

I use the Dillon pick up tubes for my Lock n load press and I've had a few upside down primers and I think they are flipping in the tube.

Make sure the plastic ends are fully seated on the tube. Pat Miles is right. It's physically impossible for primers to flip once they are in the aluminum tube. But there is enough room for them to flip if the ends are not fully seated and there is a gap between the shoulder inside the plastic tip and the end of the tube.

I used to load on lee loadmaster & had hundreds of upside down primers. I carefully pressed them out & reused them . Always wear safety glassses! I never had one go off. YMMV. I reload to save money per round. Guess I am cheap.

Either pull bullet, dump powder, press out primer & reload or dump it in bin. Your choice.

If I don't clean the channel the primer slide rides in, the slide will catch briefly, perhaps even a couple of times as it shuttles the primer from the tube to the priming station. When this happens, the primer will often times flip in the cup, sometimes it just stands on it's side, sometimes it flips over completely. My 550 has done this since it was new. Now I make certain I clean everything really well every time I switch primer sizes, and this is no longer an issue for me.