Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed holster locking systems

Kimberkid

A short time after I got my 011, a friend borrowed it to try it out and see if he wanted one. He was kind enough to not bother asking me and decided to modify it for greater performance. These modifications included messing with the locking device so that it doesnt work very well. It still works, and I have been using it without any significant problems, but it is a pain. Between stages, I like to turn the knob as far as I can to make sure that it is securly locked, and wont fall out when I pick up brass, mags on the ground or move freely. The problem is that when I turn it as far as is nessecary to get that much security, it is so tough to loosen, I end up spending 15 seconds or so on the line trying to get it back to appropriate draw tension. Not to mention wearing out my fingers. I am going to the Nats and want something ultra secure so as to rule out any possible dropped gun DQ's, but very easy to switch back to "super easy draw mode". I am not very familiar with the speed/security combinations of the other major models and would appreciate some input.

I have a 012 and a 010 Safariland, and with the tension screw turned all the way, the gun won't fall out. With no tension, the gun is still very secure. Never had a problem with it. Have your "friend" buy you a new locking block.

I have a Universal Shooting Academy holster. The older one before the "open" design that is currently available. Locked is good, but not super secure. I bought a $5 velcro wrap from Home Depot to act as a tiedown between stages. With the tiedown in place you can do anything and the gun won't fall out.

Do a search for the various speed holsters (CR speed, Safariland, Gost, etc) on the forum. A lot of discussion around with good advice and some personal comments.

Tell your "friend" to buy you a new rig and give him the one he screwed up :angry:

The CR-Speed rig I have is really simple...you just push a level over the "retaining block" and the gun is locked. You slide the lever back and the gun is unlocked. They're both single plastic parts, which would be easily replaceable. The holster is fast, relatively inexpensive, and adjustable in a lot of ways.

DogmaDog

I really like my new style Ghost: a nice snug hold on the gun, two locking positions (up for range duty/walking around and down for speed draws from the locked position for moving before the draw but after the start), and light but positive lock/unlock lever movement..

They all work about the same, go to a local match and after the match ask some people if you can examine the one they are using closely.

Most will let you see them. Pick what you think would work best for you.

I have the oldest Ghost and switched from my 011, that I never thought I would switch from. I had ever doo-dad on it and 'tuned' it to be the heat.

I tried the Ghost and was hooked!

If I ever switch from it, it will probably be to the CR Speed. It's fast and is incredibly secure. A lot of shooters switch to it for 3-Gun for that reason.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the new Ghost or the SSI Guga Riba (spelling). Both look like winners.

Rich

I have the CR Speed and have tried most everything and it is the only one that works for all my guns (SV, Caspian, Sig) and I don't have any complaints about it. A well thought out simple product that works. If it is good enough for all the Big Dawgs who are using it right now... ;)