Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RF-100 Primer Filler

Is there any way to use the pickup tubes? Looking at loading bulk ammo and trying to figure out how to have multiple tubes of primers ready to go.

What it comes with is a pickup tube that has a larger blue tube around it. I think the blue tube is part vibration dampener and part blast shield but I'm not 100% sure. At any rate the inner tube is similar to a pickup tube without the plastic end - there's a cotter pin on one end that you pull so the primers can flow into the primer tube on the press.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bulk ammo" but if you plan on using a press, the way people typically use the RF-100 is to have it load the tube, use those primers to load the press and then start the RF-100 loading more primers. Once it's adjusted properly it will load 100 primers in two minutes or less and its completely hands-off, so unless your reloading method is capable of using 100 primers in less than two minutes then another full tube will be waiting for you when you run out of primers. Then you start the RF-100 again before going back to the press and lather, rinse, repeat.

Having said that, if you took a "regular" primer pickup tube and modified it so it had an open end opposite the end with the cotter pin you could probably line the two tubes up, pull the pin on the RF-100 tube and drop 100 primers into the other tube. Do that multiple times and you could have several tubes' worth of primers ready to go.

Looking at loading bulk ammo and trying to figure out how to have multiple tubes of primers ready to go.

Not gonna happen with the RF100. It loads a tube while you reload a hundred rounds. You then stop loading and load primers and reload the RF100 then go back to loading ammo. Not nearly as smooth as having tubes preloaded.

I don't use the RF-100, but the idea was to let the machine load primers as you loaded ammo. Or you can buy extra tubes at about $48 each and load for the session. You can't use the regular manual tubes. Or you can explore other alternatives for preloading tubes. Search here under vibraprime. Forum people have tried everything. :D

Not gonna happen with the RF100. It loads a tube while you reload a hundred rounds. You then stop loading and load primers and reload the RF100 then go back to loading ammo. Not nearly as smooth as having tubes preloaded.

Not nearly as smooth? I guess is takes an extra 10 seconds or so after you load the primer magazine to get the RF-100 humming again before you return to pulling the handle. For me, the RF-100 has been a joy to operate and I can't believe I went so long without it - much better than preloading tubes IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

The slowest part of the process is getting the primers out of the box. Winchesters are great but Federals are a bit harder to dump due to the size of the container. Way less total reloading time if you count the time it takes to preload 10 manual tubes.

My problem is that every time I load up the RF-100, I have watch all of those little primers get lined up, march up the ramp, those that are upside down get kicked out (to try again) and then they march into the filler tube. Ceases to amaze me every time.

:goof:

Not to hijack thread but I've read of some having problems with flipped primers, is this a non issue or does this still happen, don't want to buy a 350$ paper weight,

Thanks

The new units havs a rheostat to control the vibration level, the old units have a retrofit available from Dillon. Flipped primers seems to be a problem at the higher (faster) vibration levels.

missfire -

I was going to start a new thread on this - but you did ask the question - don't think it is highjacking the OP's original thoughts.

I hesitated buying an RF-100 but finally figured it would be worth it. Only loading small primers right now - but have the conversion as well for large primers. As you may read on earlier threads, it appears to make a difference which primer you are loading with. Winchesters feed like a dream. I have been using Federal as that seems to be the primer of choice in my CAS crowd - will ignite even with light hammer springs. With the Federals - I was getting 4 or more flipped primers per 100 - no matter where I set the rheostat - way too many to be happy. The primers would get to the drop hole - bounce around in the plastic feeder, then do a quick "180" and drop in upside down.

This past weekend - I tried something I read on a post in this forum - I put a small strip of scotch tape on the underside of the clear plastic piece that channels the primers into the hole. After experimenting awhile, I had 3 layers of tape on there. My flip rate is now 4 per 1000 - I am not done experimenting. Am going to try clear packing tape - the scotch tape seems to be getting damaged by the vibrating primers.

Search the posts - you can get lots of good info here.

Cheers -

OVW

I only use CCI primers for everything but shotgun, for the better part of 400 bucks I should not have to Jerry rig it to work . I love Dillon I have a SDB-550 & 650 love my 650.

But 400 bucks is a lot to have to rig it to work. Especialy since I just went back to work after 8 months since obummer closed down the manned space program.

Thanks for all the info.

Not to hijack thread but I've read of some having problems with flipped primers, is this a non issue or does this still happen, don't want to buy a 350$ paper weight,

Thanks

I have two, one for large and one for small. I have not seen one flipped primer in a while. It takes time but getting the adjustments just right and the vibrate rate just right it will work every time.

All I can say is that I too have had (1) ONE - flipped primer in the last 16,000. But it could of been the primer system on my 650 - who knows ?

I have (2) RF100's as well one for large and one for small primers. I have NEVER had a flipped primer, and I cannot imagine loading without the RF100.

Mine works perfectly on fast or slow vibration settings and as others have mentioned, once you fill one primer tube on the press, you start the RF100 up again to get a primer load on standby and start making rounds. It takes all of 15-30 seconds to do that dance.

Some of the best money I spent on equipment was getting the RF-100's.