Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal .45ACP IPSC Major load???

DWG007

In this Forum's vast experience, what is the ideal load to make Major in IPSC with a .45ACP from a 5" barrel - what powder (VV320, Clays, etc)? what bullet (Zero, Montana Gold, 185 or 200gr)?

Thanks for your help.

That like asking, specifically, who is the ideal woman. There is no single answer. You can ask what the characteristics of an ideal load would be.

Accuracy. More is better, too much is not enough.

Cleanliness. The less powder/bullet/lube residue the better.

Reliability. Nothing but 100% is acceptable.

Uniformity. It should not change velocity/point of impact with temperature or altitude changes.

Economy. As low a cost as possible.

Then there are the personal factors:

Low powder charge. Less powder means less recoil due to the powder jet at bullet release. But some do not like the snap of the pressure spike on ignition.

Bullet weight vs. recoil snap and cycle time. Some like the roll of a heavy bullet, some like the snappy, fast cycle time of a light bullet.

Compounded by mechnical factors:

Full-up weight of the gun.

Recoil spring force.

Shock buffs, if any.

If there was a "perfect" load, we'd all be using it, instead of endlessly discussing it.

Same load I use for IDPA, Montana Gold 230 Gr over 4.0 gr of Clays. soft recoil, VERY VERY clean, and it chronos about 730 average.

But as it was pointed out there are lots of other loads that guys use that they like just as much.

Patrick nailed it.

So, I'll ad my load to this:

masterblastersbullets.com 200gn rnswc (yep round nose semi-wad cutter)

4.3gn of clays

Winchester LP primers

If I buy components in bulk and use range brass (which I can with 45ACP), cost is:

Bullet: 5.6

Powder: 0.7

Primer: 1.4

Net: 7.7 per round

7.7*50 = $3.85 per box of 50

Makes a pf of 170 (850fps).

This load is a compromise based on all the factors Patrick mentioned.

The bullets are priced right and I like the big holes of a wadcutter along with the the reliable feeding characteristics of the round nose. The bullet is a coated bullet, so there is no lube and therefore no additional smoke.

Clays is clean and cheap: $90 for 8lb at gun shows

I finish them off with a Lee FCD - I'm about 10,000 rds into this load 0 feed problems related to the ammo, and they all go bang!

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I was looking for an easy answer after experimenting with different loads for a few years.

I know one thing, no more Winchester 231 - too dirty.

I am running about 4.9 N320 with a 230 CMJ Montana Gold federal primers. Reasons.....clean no leading due to complete metal jacket and powder very clean also measures accurately. Faults...components are expensive. This will make major in my Para P-14 but not my brothers and I am very close with the same load in my S&W 625. Your gun will shoot different but this may be a good place to start. Good luck.....John

• 4 weeks later...

I just started shooting IPSC this summer, I don't ever get time to reload so I have to buy ammo. I have been buying the Blazer ammo, and recently have bought some american. These are all .45acp, 230 FMJ. Any suggestions of where to get some good deals on ammunition? I would like to get some ammo that will reduce recoil, if that is possible. What in your opinion should I be shooting to make major in 45 acp? Any good places to buy online?

jshooter,

A light recoiling inexpensive factory round I have found is the Winchester "white box" 185gr FMJ. This load just makes major out of my 5" Kimber. I get it at Natchez Shooters Supply at around $11/box of 50.

A good factory "match" round is Corbon Performance match 230gr FMJ, but it is harder to find and about $18/box of 50. You can order this straight from Corbon.

• 3 weeks later...

hey jshooter have you tried the magtec 230 fmc nachez price fluctuates from $8.30 to $9ish and it shoots great out of both my kimbers its not as powerfull as win or some others but easily makes a good major load. this is my factory standby if I ever need it and it always serves me well. B) and has good muzzle control

unless they have changed, american ammo(not american eagle, thats good stuff) is terrible...

brass is barely suitable for reloading and many wont chamber after loading....long story short, amerc sucks...for cheap ball ammo, your better off with wolf,,,its steel cased but reloads better than amerc:)