Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many people use factory rifle ammo?

21 guns

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handloads all the way. More accurate AND cheaper.

It took a while to perfect my prepping/loading process, but now I have it down and make great ammo.

I've used factory in the past and had good results with AE XM193, AE Tactical223, and PMC Bronze. The PMC is hard to beat for inexpensive 223 factory ammo.

3rd party ammo, 223 55 grain factory 2nd's from tactical ammo, for most work, but this last order i spent a few dollors more $190 for 500 rounds 223 60 grain V-max. the facory 2nd's on there rifle ammo "to me" is why are they 2nd's?

for long range i use there (not 2nd's) 77 grain Nolser 5.56 there version of MK 262 (i think it is)there list price is $38.00 for a box of 50. that's cheaper than anything else you can find with a 5,56 and a long bullet. and shoots right there with Black Hills and Asym. Asym is more of a "hot" 223 and not a 5.56.

Edited by RWF

I shoot Federal XM193 for everything. I find that it is nice and consistent throughout a specific lot, so I buy at leat 1-2K at a time. Be careful going from lot to lot. Also I love the ridiculous velocity (similar to a laser beam) the lot I am on now chono'd at 3202 average from a 16in 1/8! This is awesome when paired with a 300yd zero. This takes a lot of thought out of the mix as you only need to reference your drop holds for the longest of shots. Is it the most accurate round? No, but it will hit a 600 yard target if you do your part(and have a good barrel). I had no problems on any of the targets at RM3G last year.

Edited by JohnLTD

Plus I have a bit of Guatamalan surplus left but it doesn't group well. I am something of an ammo whore when it comes to 223. I don't like having less than 3-4K on hand if not more.

I use different color P-mags to make it easy to tell what I'm shooting. Black for 55 gr and green for the good stuff, preload mags before match and usually don't need to reload them depending on round count.

Kent,

I also have some Guatemalan Surplus but I am finding it keyholes through my barrel. Any problems with yours???

Thanks,

Racine

Plus I have a bit of Guatamalan surplus left but it doesn't group well. I am something of an ammo whore when it comes to 223. I don't like having less than 3-4K on hand if not more.

I use different color P-mags to make it easy to tell what I'm shooting. Black for 55 gr and green for the good stuff, preload mags before match and usually don't need to reload them depending on round count.

Kent,

I also have some Guatemalan Surplus but I am finding it keyholes through my barrel. Any problems with yours???

Thanks,

Racine

Kent,

Thanks,

Racine

No keyhole for me in either of the 2 rifles I use. Its all reliable and shoots pretty good but I suspect it has been stored poorly before it was surped. 2-3 moa or more is the best it does for me though. Good enough for close stuff and just plinking. I actually bought about 7 or 8 crates of it if not more back when Aim Surplus had it. Im down to the end of it almost and have also gotten other stuff. Still love the IMI when its available.