Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd reset? issue

Aglifter

About 5 times in my last match (IDPA, I normally shoot open) my XDm, 5.25 didn't reset, I guess.

I would pull the trigger, nothing happened - it didn't look out of battery - rack the slide, and it would go back to working. There were no marks on the primers.

About half of the magazines never locked the slide back, from new.

I admit, I struggle, at times, w. the transition - but this time I knew I wasn't missing the trigger safety.

I'm thinking about getting a stronger recoil spring - but I like how it recoils now.

Would an increased reset spring help?

I realize I'm not offering much info - I think I will shoot it at this weekend's Steel Challenge match - maybe get someone to video it, to see what is happening.

Edited by Aglifter

How long has it been since you replaced the Sear spring? Or have you installed a lightened sear spring? The failure mode you are describing sounds like the sear is not coming back up fast enough to catch the striker as the slide cycles when it fires. If this was my XDm I would replace the sear spring first then test it out to see if the problem is solved.

I had a couple issues with my brandy new XDm this past Sunday. One time it just didn't go bang, so I racked and kept going. The other time was a jam, with the round not feeding completely. I was shooting cheap commercial reloads, so I figured that was the culprit in both instances. Stock recoil spring and guide rod, Springer trigger job.

In retrospect, I don't remember the trigger working when it didn't go bang. The striker didn't release. Hrm....

On the mags, are you sure it's not your grip that's not allowing them to lock back the slide. I had to adjust my grip a little bit on Friday when I got the gun so that I wasn't mussing with the slide release's function. Not nearly as bad as with a Glock with an extended slide release, though.

Another thought: will the trigger operate—that is, move through its full range of motion—if the grip safety isn't depressed?

Not resetting could be two things. It could be that the trigger bar is not resetting on the striker safety lever or that the sear is not resetting the striker. The fix would be different for each.

If you give us a call at 541 523 4474 we could help sort this out.

Daniel

Aglifter and Diehi, are you guys both running stock guns with no work done? If not, what set up are you running?

<snip> Stock recoil spring and guide rod, Springer trigger job. </snip>

I had a 'smith install my PRP kit in both of my XDm 5.25s. Its the same mags, which don't lock back, on a consistent basis - pretty sure its not something I'm doing. I know I could send them back to SA, but I had a name and number engraved on the tubes, and it doesn't bother me too much (I have 12 mags.)

I will give PRP a call, when I get a chance - maybe tomorrow.

As I recall, the trigger just plain doesn't move if you miss the grip safety. I will play w. it this evening, to see if that feels like the trigger problem.

I don't have more than a few thousand rounds through the gun - I have two of them, and, so far, I've gone through about 3K between the pair.

• 3 months later...

OK, well I sent it to PRP, and they did a nice job tuning it up, and then today, a different reset issue.

It seems like it doesn't have enough spring to power the reset, or something's dragging - maybe I'm doing something wrong when I clean it? (Haven't shot it much though, since it came back from PRP.)

Sometimes, I could feel the reset slowly occur, other times, I'd have to bang the side of the gun to get it to reset. Really, really odd.

I suspect its just gunk somewhere, but I don't know where (admittedly, I don't know the XDm as well as I know a 1911 or a S&W revolver.)

Is the striker cocked when this is happening? I have installed several PRP kits on some friends' guns. On one XD that I did, I had to use the stock striker spring instead of the light striker spring that comes with the kit. With the light spring, the sear wouldn't lift fast enough to catch the striker. I'm sure it was due to the tight fit between the sear and striker safety, but the trigger pull felt almost identical to me with either spring in the gun.

Been there!

I have two 5.25's from PRP and two fellow shooters have another three. The factory recoil springs are TOO short. We replaced them with Wolff springs for a 4.5, Stock N

umber 54218. Length difference was about a half inch.....no kidding! No hiccups since then.

Shoot your pistol weak hand. If the slide locks back.....your strong hand is riding the slide catch.

I know this is my first post, I have been a longtime lurker and never really had anything to contribute until now.

I had a similar problem to this, and it turned out my PRP sear was not fitted probably width wise (installed by me). It was dragging a little bit in between the ejecter and safety lever. Once I filed down the width so it "moved freely", the problem was solved. I have put 10,000 rounds through the XDm since.