Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can i use a non captive poly guide rod in IDPA SSP?

ProGunGuy

I use a vice. Eye protection is a must! Open the vice enough to slip the guide rod in vertically, muzzle end down, compressing the spring slightly. Tighten the vice so it holds the rod, but does not crush or crack it. Insert a long punch into the hole at the rear and give it a tap to remove the cap. Slowly remove the rod/spring from the vice. Swap the spring, reassemble in the gun and tap the cap back on.

I was told no - but the cap can usually reinstalled - I made up several captives in different strengths until I settled on 13lbs.

i tried it but could not get the cap off. So is there a trick to it?

Find a long hex key and punch it out from the other end. It takes some force.

well i tried tapping it out through the hole and it did not work. so i tried a pair of pliers to take the cap off. Cap cam off, but so did the cap end. ending up having to drill it out and tapping and putting in a extra screw i had for my metal rod. Now its just like a metal one, but is made of polymer

I have always allowed aftermarket guide rods of the same material into SSP. It's on the approved mod list.

Yep.

Do you people read the rulebook before you post questions?

I pulled the end off my guiderod with a pair of pliers. This isn't rocket surgery.

I'm new to glocks and recently wanted to try a different recoil spring. I just locked the slide back on my fully assembled pistol, used plyers to pull the end of the guide rod. I then dissassembled and swaped springs. Reassembled and again locked the slide back, and pushed the end back into the rod. Took less time to do than do type... No vices, no special tools, etc.

-rvb