Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My old Motorola Razr was on its dying leg when I walked into the T-mobile store last Sunday afternoon. After the guy pulled up my account, he laughed and said, "You're definitely ready for a new phone - your Razr is 6 years old!

I have been mentally resisting the smartphone. Although they are ultra-handy, especially when traveling, whenever I'm traveling Candis is usually with me, and she has an iPhone.

But after looking at all of today's "standard" phone offerings - which are all absolutely junk - I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy S II. It's pretty slick.

It was a bit like when I went from an iPod to an iTouch - only times 10. In a few months maybe I'll be somewhat functional on it. For now, if I can just stop fat-fingering the text keypad, I'll be happy. It seems like a bit of an art form to quickly and accurately type on that thing. But the sales guy typed on it at nearly the speed of light, so I know it's just a learning curve.

be

I can't bring myself to a smartphone with the cost of data plans. I got a Casio Ravine 2 last fall when my last phone died. I like it and it has a camera and some cool outdoors-y apps.

It seems like a bit of an art form to quickly and accurately type on that thing. But the sales guy typed on it at nearly the speed of light, so I know it's just a learning curve.

Funny how it always goes back to speed and accuracy. At least the smart phone screen doesn't have any no-shoots.

Two months ago my Motorola Razor started flaking out and giving me the "sim card not installed" finger. I long ago quit subscribing to cell phone service on a monthly basis and just use a pay-as-you-go plan (not a heavy user at all). Cheap ol' me went to the local walmart cell phone place to get a new 15 buck phone to put my old sim card into and the nice lady behind the counter offered to set up the new phone for me. When I gave her my Razor she said this was about the fifth or sixth dead Razor she saw in the last week or so. She said it seems like they are all dying at once.

I think it is a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

You will wish you had an iPhone...but yer closer than you were.

The Samsung Galaxy S II is about as close as you can get to an iPhone. But the Galaxy S3 is getting ready to be released soon. An even better phone. Samsung makes the best non-Apple phones available. I have a Samsung Droid Charge & as crazy fast & smooth & abloe to multitask as it is with the single-core processor as it is, I can't even imagine how smooth & slick the new Galaxy S3 will be.

Oh and Brian, do yourself a favor and forget the touch-typing that comes with the stock Samsung keyboard. I too have FFD (Fat Finger Disease) .... and start learning how to Swype! It comes standard now with all new smart phones, probably because the smart phone industry realized how amazingly simple & intuitive it is to learn how to Swype. :)

The Samsung Galaxy S II is about as close as you can get to an iPhone. But the Galaxy S3 is getting ready to be released soon. An even better phone. Samsung makes the best non-Apple phones available. I have a Samsung Droid Charge & as crazy fast & smooth & abloe to multitask as it is with the single-core processor as it is, I can't even imagine how smooth & slick the new Galaxy S3 will be.

Oh and Brian, do yourself a favor and forget the touch-typing that comes with the stock Samsung keyboard. I too have FFD (Fat Finger Disease) .... and start learning how to Swype! It comes standard now with all new smart phones, probably because the smart phone industry realized how amazingly simple & intuitive it is to learn how to Swype. :)

I actually got a lot better at touch typing by just holding the phone with my left hand and stabbing the keyboard with my left index finger. 20 times more consistent that double-thumbing it.

But, unless I'm in a spot where I'll look silly talking to my phone in a slow monitone voice... I got the voice to text functioning today - it is the shit! It's amazing how accurate it is right out of the gate.

For an iPhone, does it take an app for that phone to do that?

be

I actually got a lot better at touch typing by just holding the phone with my left hand and stabbing the keyboard with my left index finger. 20 times more consistent that double-thumbing it.

But, unless I'm in a spot where I'll look silly talking to my phone in a slow monitone voice... I got the voice to text functioning today - it is the shit! It's amazing how accurate it is right out of the gate.

be

Yep-part of the iOS. Plus Siri is just plain fun.

be

Hey Brian, now that you have speech to text working, start having some real fun and give the phone commands. My 4 month old Motorola Atrix II, also android and a very similar phone, will accept speech commands. I double tap my home key to activate voice recognition, then speak a command such as "send e-mail to ....." "send text to ....." or "navigate to ...." etc. Give it a try, you might be surprised what it can do.

Larry

Me too.

Oh, and the ability to swype, use speech to text, or use the 2 keyboards on mine are super nice.

I'll bet there are other keyboards that could be downloaded that might fit one's thumb style better?

I too used to be a "Thumb Texter" ..... but since it's all about accuracy ...... I gave up the thumbs & use my fingers now.

The thumb might be good for some things .... :) .... but any one of your fingers is far more accurate than your thumb.