Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best gun for 13yr daughter

so my daughter wants to start shooting and im having a hard time choosing a gun for her. alot of people are suggesting i do a g17 with a jagger open kit. i shoot production my self so im a little confused on what i should get her, any suggestions would be helpful

Remember to teach her the "close to the body" technique for racking the slide so that she doesn't get frustrated with some of the heavier sprung guns there while trying different guns out. God forbid, she becomes revolver shooter. :lol:

Hello: Get her a Glock 34 and let her shoot it--alot. My son was 10 when he could shoot it and he is not very big. The 115 grain bullets worked best for him not the heavy 147's. The light pistol helps with the light slide. My XD-9 tactical did not work for him at all. Next will be a 6" STI 2011 in 9mm I built. My 9 year old can rack that one with no problems but he likes the 9mm STI open pistol since it looks cool :roflol: Thanks, Eric

My 13 year old daughter shoots an CZ Czechmate open gun and does well with it. I have tried everything and if you don't want to put her in open gun then the M&P has the shortest trigger reach and works well for kids and women that can't reach the trigger.

You have received a lot of very biased suggestions, we are all that way. I have seen more women pushed into the wrong division/gun than I care to relate.

Let HER shoot several platforms/divisions/power levels. Your job in the process is to make sure she can grip them properly and see which one she smiles about the most. The highest comfort level acheivable is very important to the overall performance level with women shooters.

That said, make sure to try the CZs, Tanfos, M&Ps and XDs. The SVI signature IC grip on the 2011 platform is the most suitable for smaller hands and is WAY better than a trimmed polymer grip. Also, if it suits her best, there is nothing wrong with Limited minor or Single Stack minor or even Open minor.

Remember to teach her the "close to the body" technique for racking the slide so that she doesn't get frustrated with some of the heavier sprung guns there while trying different guns out. God forbid, she becomes revolver shooter. :lol:

And just what is wrong with shooting a revolver?

Try an older Browning Hi Power. Light recoil and good ergonomics for a small hand. Plus she can shoot Ltd. and Ltd. 10. Good luck, hope she enjoys shooting. Don't push her to much to begin with.

Good gun to learn on. If you are running in USPSA, I'd remove the magazine safety. IT makes for a safer, and definitely easier time at ULSC.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of going to the range and renting a bunch of guns. If you belong to a club, ask members if she can shoot theirs. Instead of trying to find the magic gun that fits all 13 year old girls, find the one that fits her hands and your wallet.