Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major loads?

Markhpb

Hey guys, I am new here, but I have a question. How often are chronos wrong? I just got one and not sure it is reading propperly. It is a Chrony f1 model and I was shooting 10 feet from the closest screen. I was working up some 9mm major loads (1st time trying to get to major). It seems like I got there before most do with the same powders. These loads were all shot out of stock STI trubor T2 comp except 9# spring. If you see anything I am doing that reaches the danger levels, PLEASE let me know.

Load 1

Mixed headstamps

MG 115 cmj

OAL 1.170

Win small pis mag primers

Auto comp 7.4 grs

Avg Vel 1540 fps

Load 2

all else the same

HS-6 8.4 grs

Avg vel 1527

just in case it matters the HS-6 is my new powder choice w the 115's. (Seemed much softer to me)

Thanx,

Mark

Just ran some zero 115 conical jhps over the chrono. 8.4gr HS6 at 1.140 with fed small rifle primers made 1488fps avg. This is with a full size schuemann barrel and brazos thundercomp with no holes. Your load seems slightly fast, but not too far off

That does seem fast, especially for a TruBor, but not too far off. However, the Chronys have been notorious for false readings. I would probably move back to 12 or 14 feet and check again. Also, make sure the conditions are right (sunlight, shade, position, etc.) If possible, validate your readings with another chrono.

What were your SD and ES readings?

I like HS6, it seems to be the right powder for major 9. I use 124gr MGHP with 8.4 to make major in a shorty gun.

I had the same conclusion about HS6 after testing it against several other powders and its great for 115, 121, and 124s. Of course, that's like the Chevy vs Ford thing so use what works best for you.

I would move back to 12 or 14 feet and check again. Also, make sure the conditions are right (sunlight, shade, position, etc.) If possible, validate your readings with another chrono.

What were your SD and ES readings?

+1. GNG4 hit it on the head, here. Did you have any readings far above or below the average?

If not, your Chrony is probably doing a good job for you (Mine has for 20 years).

:cheers:

9mm major (same gun as above )

radical slide lightening

3 holes

9.6 grains hs6

115 gr p delta FMJ

oal 1.165 wolf SRP

5 shot 3 shot

AVG 1534 1534

Hi 1562 1549

lo 1518 1513

es

sd 14.7

176 PF 176

38 super comp

9.6 grains hs6

115 gr p delta FMJ

oal 1.235 wolf SRP

avg 1450

hi 1469

lo 1432

es 37

sd 15

pf 166

both super load and 9 major is very good! soft and flat.

the super load I am moving up to 9.9 grains

I moved the load to 9.9 amd get 175 flat

.38 super comp

9.9 grains hs-6

115 p delta fmj

es 17

sd 5

pf 175

sorry I copied the wrong data.

Edited by Mat Price

Hello: I think your chrono is off. I can get 171PF with 8.9 grains of HS-6 using 115's Montana Golds, Wolf small rifle primers and a OAL of 1.170". That is on 4 different chrono's including at Area 1 this year. The barrel has 2 "Hill Hell Holes" in it. Thanks, Eric