Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glockworx skeletonized striker & hard primers

Nimitz

I was wondering if anyone has had any real-world experince with the Glockworx skeletonized striker and hard primers? Their marketing claims that this striker has better realiability with hard primers which would seem to indicate that I could could now get away with using CCI &/or Winchester primers and not have to stay with Federals only. I'm getting ready to make a large primer purchase and this would be nice since Feds are $26/1000 & the others are $20/1000 which adds up at 25,000+ rds/year. thx!

I just put that in my G34. So far, about 500 rounds of CCI with it, no problems. I now have a bunch of magtech primers to use.

Previously, I hand-seated about 5k CCI with the factory striker and lightened striker spring. No light strikes.

I went with a Dillon 650 (huge improvement), and had 2 CCI light strikes out of about 2k with this setup, but I chalk it up to me not seating the primers fully.

I've heard that CCI's are hard. Some other shooters I've talked to like winchester, others with tuned revolvers and 1911's like federals because they are so soft.

If you are using the stock striker spring in the glock with the stock striker, the CCI's should be fine. I came across a thread somewhere that mentioned if you use a lightened striker spring, a lightened striker will handle hard primers no problem.

I don't know anything about tula or wolf, but for some reason prefer to stay away from those.

I recently picked up 20k magtech from a site which no longer carries them, for $20 per thousand. I saw the deal and had to go with it. It was a bit of a risk b/c I had no experience and there is little online about them.

I havn't had any problems with the Skeletonized Glockworx strikers and Wolf/Tula primers. I've also used Magtech and CCI primers without any problems. I have broken 2 pf the skeletonized strikers, probably from dry firing. Glockworx's customer service was great; replaced both within 48 hours.

Mike

I can't get Mag-techs to light off with stock Glock parts. I expect ~3 misfires per local match when I shoot them.

Stock? As in full-weight Firing Pin Spring combined with a standard Firing Pin? If so, those Mag-Techs must be ridiculously hard!

I ask because most of the issues that I've seen leading to these complaints are with a trimmed spring and stock FP. There's not enough spring pressure to accelerate the heavy Firing Pin fast enough to ensure reliable ignition.

With "energy" being a very velocity-weighted formula compared to mass, a trimmed spring has a greater detrimental effect on a heavy pin than a very light one.

Edited by Braxton1

hmmmm ... sounds like I should probably stay away from Tula ...

If you were a little closer, I'd give you the ~3K or so I have left to try out, from back when I couldn't get anything else (Wolf SP).

Edited by mizer67

Yeah, shipping them would be a problem... Thx for the offer though ... I'm about to put in a large order with Powder Valley with a few friends (25,000 primers and 35 lbs of powder) so maybe I'll just spend another 20 bucks to try them ...

Just went throught this. Have the Glockworx/ZEV-4 Stainless skeletonized striker with the extended tip. All factory ammo completely reliable. All my reloads primed with CCI, Winchester, Federal, and Tula all run 100% unless I made a seating mistake. I DID use the Tula SP Magnum primers and those are iffy. Its more the seating the primer correctly. That said I use them for practice ammo and they run good enough with a light striker every 30-50. BTW, running a 4lb striker spring too.

Now I run Federal primers mostly and I have no worries

I use a glockworx skeletonized striker and lightened striker spring in my Gen4 G34 and almost exclusively use CCI primers with very very few problems. In over 5000 rounds about 3 light strikes and I'm not sure they weren't poorly seated primers. I've recently started to use Winchester primers as well and those have been reliable so far. I used the same setup in my G17 prior and can't remember any light strikes. Initially I tried the lightened spring only and the reason I bought the striker was to eliminate light strikes, it worked.

My real interest is in undestanding if Tulas will be reiable as they are cheaper than then rest ... CCI, Winchester, Federal, etc all are $26/1000 so no reason to switch to them vice Federals but Tulas are only $20/1000 ... at 25,000+ rds/yr it adds up ...

I run the lightened striker and cut 1 1/2 coils off the standard spring and never had problems with all the pistol primers I have tried. Tried WW, CCI, Tula, Wolf but not Magtech. All small rifle primers light too until I bought a bunch of Tula 556 primers. 20% did not light in the Glock and half of those did not light with 2nd or 3rd strike. My SV did not like the Tula 223SR either. Those 556 primers are said to be harder than normal Tula/Wolf sr primers to prevent slam firing of the AR inertia firing pin...

I would buy Tula SR or SP for Glock loads again but not the Wolf 556 SR.

Edited by kamikaze1a