Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences between IDPA and USPSA

okorpheus

On 5/25/2012 at 6:26 PM, okorpheus said:

I've shot a couple of IDPA matches and will be shooting my first USPSA match this weekend. Other than not having retain mags, use cover, or use concealment, are there any big differences I should be prepared for?

Big differences? No just all the rules. Any rule in USPSA is different in IDPA. Keep in mind it was invented by Wilson, and all of his old IPSC homies from the 70's. And actually you could retain your mags, and use cover, and use concealment, if you wanted to, because there is no rule against it. In fact you can even run an IWB appendix holster (in Open, Limited or L10) and shoot the whole match IDPA like. You could, but why? The biggest difference is scoring. Hit Factor (HF) rules in USPSA. HF= points earned minus penalties divided by time spent. Shoot fast have fun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 3:06 PM, 9x45 said:

Big differences? No just all the rules. Any rule in USPSA is different in IDPA. Keep in mind it was invented by Wilson, and all of his old IPSC homies from the 70's. And actually you could retain your mags, and use cover, and use concealment, if you wanted to, because there is no rule against it. In fact you can even run an IWB appendix holster (in Open, Limited or L10) and shoot the whole match IDPA like. You could, but why? The biggest difference is scoring. Hit Factor (HF) rules in USPSA. HF= points earned minus penalties divided by time spent. Shoot fast have fun.

Thanks! Got it figured out by now ;)

I shot my first IDPA match in a year last weekend. I don't know if it was a particularly bad set of stages or what, but I was bored to tears. I started out in IDPA in 2004 but now I only shoot it in the winter when USPSA is shut down, and even now I won't be doing that anymore. The match took 6.5 hours and was just not enjoyable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, okorpheus said:

Thanks! Got it figured out by now ;)

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, tanks said:

I would hope so after 5.5 years ;)

Wow talking about reviving a dead post.  over 5 years from first post to now.  I hope it didn't take you that long to figure out how to shoot IDPA.

Edited by stick