Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone own an SVI like this?

user293

been going over open gun pics on a lazy day and went on the SVI website and found this open gun. I own a hybrid now, but ive always wanted one like this, with more holes. I dont know how they shoot, but i imagine it shoots flat and loud (how i like it). so i was curious if anyone has shot an SVI like this or iff SVI will make me one like this if i decide to change up my gun. I use 3n38 now for a powder anyway, so im set with that. thanks!

post-26375-0-74534000-1337792472_thumb.j

I have one!

I loaned it to guy who unfortunately is getting an Open gun built by someone else. He said the dot did not move! He was impressed.

The concussion is pretty stout for the RO to say the least. I have one RO who double plugs and squats down at the buzzer. I don't double plug in a match, I use MSA muffs with gel cups.

It is loud and quite annoying for the RO who stands too close.

I use VV 3n38 for my powder. It is a very clean powder but the gun uses a lot of it, like most Open guns.

Now for the good---it is way too much fun to shoot. Flat, accurate, low muzzle flip and I do not notice any recoil.

I don't think a side mount would be very good on it.

The Skulls just add to the fun of shooting it!

post-11054-0-62590300-1337793748_thumb.j

^^ sweet gun. thats good to hear though. im just thinking about the idea. ill bet it will be expensive, but it is a 12 month + wait. id have to buy something else and play while the gun is getting built.

I had one just like it and it was pretty loud, but very flat shooting. I know that Brandon does not do the square holes or plastic grips an longer but he can get you the latest and greatest available now. I used IMR 7625 in mine with good results.

WOW, I bet that thing is loud. Shuman hybrid barrels have spots to drill lots of holes, for what it's worth.

thats true about them, but im interested in the combo with the hybrid, and the tribrid, square holes, and the comp. I like loud and flat shooting guns. and SV makes some high quality guns. but in the end ill probably just stick with my gun i have, but someday i may want to upgrade.

There's a few reasons they went away from that design. Powder choices tend to be limited, it's damn hard to make major without running VERY high pressures, my brass was pretty much toast after two to three loads. Theres not enough of an advantage shooting that gun to justify the other issues.

I'm not convicted the metal grip is all that great. The old IMM was a fast handling well balanced gun. The new metal gripped ones feel heavy and clunky to me. Maybe an aluminum or Ti grip would bring it back to the old feel.

I shot one of those SVI's back when they first came out I'd say around 2004 or so, I s year and shot it for 2 years with a steady diet of 3N38 it nearly sent me to the poor farm not to mention all of the of the fillings I had to replace. I'm now shooting a Limcat Razorcat and it shoots every bit as fast and flat as my old IMM did. Best of all I run 7.2 grains of 7625 with a 125 grain Zero JHP with a PF of 172 at sea level. Johnny Lim builds a heck of a gun in a lot less time and he has a new one out that is even hotter than my Razorcat called the Flashcat. My order for one of those will be going in this fall in time for next season.

There's a few reasons they went away from that design. Powder choices tend to be limited, it's damn hard to make major without running VERY high pressures, my brass was pretty much toast after two to three loads. Theres not enough of an advantage shooting that gun to justify the other issues.

I understand. That does make sense. Still would be fun to drive one though. I guess a 5 or 6 port hybrid with that new comp would work well too

I had an SV just like that also. I think 2004 is when I got it.

I am now shooting a Limcart Flashcat in 9 mm major. It is without question the flattest shooting open gun I have ever shot. My load is 8.0 gr Silhouette, 124 gr MG CMJ at 1.160 OAL for a 171 PF.

I got mine in time to shoot the 2001 USPSA Nationals with it and had my highest placing ever (I was also deathly sick, I was rooming with Mike Burrell and I think he just about ran me to the Hospital a couple of times)

I'm really a big fan of the design and it's a great shooting gun. But it does have its issues. I'd like to have one built the way I want it but I'm not sure they'd do that. I'd like to stay with the plastic grip, two hole hybrid with the original 3 chamber comp.

I had one just like that as well many many years ago. Loud and fun, no doubt; very costly to run. But if you have plenty of powder and brass, go fo it :-)I would think a good used one is collecting dust somewhere that you could get a good deal on...

Pat, you are classed way above me, but I have to disagree on the Steel Signature Grip vs. ANY of the plastic grips. I've been shooting the steel grips in limited for the last three years and I LOVE them. I bought Lee Neel's 2008 model IMM with a plastic grip and IMHO there is no comparison. I prefer the feel of the steel grip and I absolutely prefer the magazine ejection of the steel grips vs. the plastic grips...There is a bit of drag with the plastic when compared to the steel.....