Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SPO-1 Shadow or Stock II Tangfoglio

Hi Guys

I'm new to the sport of IPSC Production level, I live in Sydney Australia, my question to everyone is which is the better pistol the CZ75 SPO-1 Shadow or the Stock II Tangfolio & why.

I'm about to but my 1st pistol & I am more confuesed as ever,I currently training with a Glock 17 which I find great. I would appreciate everyones response.

Thanks

Will

Hi Guys

I'm new to the sport of IPSC Production level, I live in Sydney Australia, my question to everyone is which is the better pistol the CZ75 SPO-1 Shadow or the Stock II Tangfolio & why.

I'm about to but my 1st pistol & I am more confuesed as ever,I currently training with a Glock 17 which I find great. I would appreciate everyones response.

Thanks

Will

I have one of each of the pistols mentioned on your thread. Truth be told, I find the Stock and the SP-01 to be equal. They are both great platforms and either would serve you well. Having said that, I will add that I still choose to shoot a Glock (a G34 in my case though I carry a G17 as my backup). Personally, I find the Glock to be more dependable and easier to shoot than the other two.

This have been asked in the CZ and Tanfoglio thread. But in any case, I'll bet you'll get different answers from each thread. I say if you can handle both and shoot them, that will be your deciding factor. Heck, I'll just get myself a Sphinx :roflol:

I have the Shadow and a regular Stock both in 9MM and find each to be close in performance, but would give the nod to the Shadow as the magazines for it seem to work without tuning where the Stock 9MM often need some work done to them to feed reliably.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

had both..... the cz hands down for me..... i think the stock II needed a lot of loving from a gunsmith to get it to the level of the cz.... now the gold team.....thats a differant story

Something to consider before you purchase: see what spares are available and their pricing.

I live in South Africa and this is a big concern for us. You might experiance the same issues in Australia

I know the CZ factory shop will ship internationally, but shipping is a real killer.

Of the two pistols, the CZ SP01 Shaddow is more popular over here.

• 2 months later...

Something to consider before you purchase: see what spares are available and their pricing.

I live in South Africa and this is a big concern for us. You might experiance the same issues in Australia

I know the CZ factory shop will ship internationally, but shipping is a real killer.

Of the two pistols, the CZ SP01 Shaddow is more popular over here.

Exactly what I think

Plus the fact that the Shadow is cheaper then Tanfolio StockII/III

Keep in mind Stock 2 is large frame, Shadow is small frame. I have big hands and i have a tough time getting the base of my weak hand in on the weak side grip of the Shadow. Not enough room. I have not held a Stock 2, but I've been told that it is the same size as the Tanfo Limited. I have held that gun, my buddy shoots it. The grip is so much bigger than the Shadow it is very easy for me to get my whole weak side hand in on the grip. I've been looking for a Stock 2 here in the US, but they are as common here as Hen's teeth.

My opinion, both guns are great shooters. You can't go wrong with either. Pick the one that feels better ergonomically.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an m&p pro, and with the small backstrap, the CZ Sp-01 shadow, with the alum grips is thinner. I have small-ish hands though, so this makes reaching the mag release button alot easier for me.

• 10 months later...

In two or three weeks, i will have my first tanfoglio combat sports they say (in Phils its MAP1- steel frame) in my hand. But i used to practice shooting with the same gun at the range, and its sweet shooting I may say, not too much recoil , some says they have issues on magz..but I have no issues since I started to shot with this gun.

For me....satisfied, good decision to buy this gun.

• 2 weeks later...

where abouts in sydney do you shoot? send me a pm if you want. if you come shoot where I do you're welcome to try my shadow and stock II.

a couple of points that guys not familiar with what we get in aus won't know.

we get both large frame and small frame stock II's. our 9mm is small frame, 38 super are large frame. I have a large frame in super, but bought a 9mm barrel for it and now shoot it in 9mm.

CZ shadows have great support here and the aus importer is located in your city. so if you need parts for it they are literally a couple of hours away. the tanfog importer is in WA so no easy dropping in for parts.

There are no stock II's currently available brand new. when they are, they cost $2K with 4 mags. There are a very small number of stock III extreme's on their way now. they would be the best choice right now, but price on those is $2K too. but you get comp hammer, nice finish on frame (it's a 2 tone finish) etc.

Really your choice right now is this:

used shadow ~ $1000 and parts fitted varies, can probably pick one up with 6 mags and some extras for that money.

new shadow $1300 with 4 mags

new shadow orange/2012 $1700 (4 mags, comp hammer, hand fitted barrel and slide, alloy grips, guiderod, springs etc)

new shadow australia (winchester imported version) around $1550, comes with only 3 mags though, but same basic specs as the orange/2012 above)

used stock II, around $1900 depending on options/mags etc - they are highly sought after and don't come up often. be aware there is one on used guns as a stock II, but has holes drilled in the frame. it would most likely not be eligible for production division in IPSC with those holes.

New stock II, come with 2 or 4 mags (varies from time to time), cost $2,000 if and when they arrive

new stock III $1500 for blued $1690 for the nice sliver finish. again, no stock, no idea when they will come back

new stock III extreme $2K, coming in very soon. 4 mags.

Given the extreme is $300 over the special it's not too bad value. not great, but not bad. the grips and comp hammer, guide rod, front site and firing pin are worth a few $ more than that. Some like the 2 tone finish as well. I'm not sure how many mags it comes with though.

http://www.tanfoglio.com.au/c/201/tanfoglio-xtreme.html

Is budget an issue? stock III extreme would be a great first IPSC gun. so would any of the shadow models.

I like them both. There's no doubt the checkering and overall finish on the stock II is much better than a CZ. You can get a much nicer trigger out of a CZ though. tanfog comes with a nicer rear sight than the CZ.

reliability wise they are both pretty much the same.

They question is, to you is the nicer frame extra of a stock II worth the extra $1000 over a used shadow? only you can answer that.

I love both my shadows and my stock II. all for different reasons. :)

or be different as one guy suggested and buy a sphinx. now they are NICE! or be even more different and buy a grand power excalibur. I haven't shot one, but they are the new gamer gun for production for sure. $1300 here in aus.

the final option is since you already have a glock 17 is just keep and shoot that. spend the money on more ammo. some of the better IPSC shooters in production here use the glock 17 and shoot the crap out of it! it's certainly not holding them back.

Edited by BeerBaron