Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on longer courses of fire.

During a match, I generally shoot close, fast courses of fire well. However, when there is a lot of movement and more targets I go from stage winner to not even close. There is nothing physically keeping me being able to shoot these longer stages well, other than technique (I think). From what I know, I think I need to work on movement, efficiency and getting into position to shoot faster. What else should I look at to improve my times and can someone recommned some drills I can set up that will help me? Thanks

For me, it's the opposite, I tend to do better on longer courses. I find that if the course is short, I don't put the same amount of focus on the sight picture and end up losing points. For longer stages, take the extra time and really get a good sight picture, for ALL of the targets. I wouldn't recommend "double tap" either. As far as movement, you make up the time with a fast draw, fast reloads, and foot work. Move fast from area to area, and always reload on the move if you have to.

I'm certainly not the best shooter out there, but that's what I've observed from what I've seen with myself.

From what I have read here planning every move prior to start is the biggest influence on time used. The visualization of your path through the CoF seems to be revered by top shooters as the key that separates the fast from the uber fast. Maybe you have a plan but improvise parts of the stage as you are shooting rather then clearly executing in the exact manner you planned for? Watching videos of pros you will notice that when they exit or enter a shooting location there is NO wasted movement or time between shooting, moving and reloading if needed. The really fast guys manage to enter and exit with no shuffling of the feet or repositioning too. It's like watching a preprogrammed robot, spooky fast.

Since you are good at short and fast, why not set up two or three shooting spots arranged around a small number of targets? Engage the same targets repeatedly while moving in and out of the spots. You could even throw in the shooting on the move too. Combined with good movement, shooting on the move is where the pros really scrub tons of time off.

I'm not a fan of Glocks, but am a fan of Dave S. That dude is like lightning on movement.

Learn to shoot on the move. Walking forward to bring other targets into view as you move through the course will take less time than running forward 10 feet, sliding to a stop and engaging the same 4 targets only to run forward another 5 feet to do it all again. Learn where you need to hustle into position and where you can slow down to take acurate shots on the move. This is mre of a problem with Lim and Open shooters. From this spot I can take 8 targets, so I need to run quick into that position. The Prod and SS guys are taking those same 8 targets on the move because they need to reload. By the time the stage is done they have a faster time because they multitasked the shooting, moving and reloading.

Read last two pages of Fourtrax's Range Report. Some good movement drills in there.

I hear the shooting on the move a lot as a time saver. I suggest knowing what that means exactly. Most shooters don't. CHA-LEE posted the best answer to this I've ever read. Can't remember what thread so I'll paraphrase. Basically you need to know your capabilities. Shooting on the move is a point sucker if you don't. It can also be a "time increase", because you have to slow down significantly to ensure good hits.

I'm only an A. So grain of salt and all. Any partial target beyond 5 yards, I don't consider shooting while moving. My skill doesn't outway the risk yet. I try to pick targets that are open as I'm coming into a position or leaving a position to shoot while moving. Targets within 10 yards that are open I can take while moving in between positions.

Break your stages down by shooting positions. Run a first person video of every shot at every position. You know, like a head mounted cam view. Do this until you see every target and every step you are gonna take during your run. Make sure you visualize your front sight lifting on all targets. Play that movie in your head at least 10 times.

Any drill that requires you to move to a position and shoot some targets will work. Always set up in a position with your EXIT in mind. I don't have it down yet, but I'm getting lots better as I practice. Good luck to you.

A long course is just two or three short/medium courses put together. If it helps think of it like that.

Find a reference point for each array. Move to that reference point and shoot your array. This is a great way to begin your stage break down and strategy each time.

One of the things that helped me was from doing a lot of presentations to large groups. We had a general rule, five items (lines) per slide and 5-7 words per item (line). People can remember groups for 4-6 easily. Within each group is a sub-group.

So perhaps focusing on the main four or five groups/arrays, where they are located, which is the best spot for them(reference point), and in what sequence is the first thing of importance. Then on your third and fourth walk thru, see each target arrangement within each group/array. But always end you last walk through with knowing which marks/reference points you need to hit.

Once that is nailed down, the one thing I have notice from watching many GMs, they confirm their last shot, then aggressive turn their heads to the next reference point/array. They really snap their heads. That snapping seems to set the pace of the movement IMO. They don't lollygag around, they start driving to the next position, gun up, weak hand/arm pumping away. You can save 10-20% of your time by moving your feet faster.

Over time, shooting on the move is a consequence of knowing your sight picture/shot calling skill.

Check out Mike Seeklander's book and website. He and some dude named Phil used a diagram to break down the stage, targets and critical points. Maybe that visual diagram would help?

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I have done that has helped with longer shots and also getting a good sight picture out of the draw is to set up a steel plate anywhere from 15-25 yards. The plate that I use is about 6"x6" hanging from a hook that you can get at Lowes for plants. At the buzzer, I will draw and shoot one shot on the plate. Another thing that I have found helpful is to have some kind of barricade whether barrells or whatever in front of you. At the buzzer, draw, lean out and do one shot on it. After doing that, you can draw, lean out do one shot and then shot from the other side.

This has helped me with getting a good sight picture on long shots and try to get on target fast from the draw. Just an idea, different strokes for different folks.

EW

Check out Mike Seeklander's book and website. He and some dude named Phil used a diagram to break down the stage, targets and critical points. Maybe that visual diagram would help?

Anyone have a link to this? ;)