Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typo or Really Good Deal ?

captray

Oak Hill Enterprises (www.oakhillenterprises.com) is offering subject gun (this AM) for $2,299.00 vs normally advertised price of $3,299 and

MSRP of $3,650.00. I have one already or I would pursue myself.

Ray

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this. I just bought it. I received an email from Oakhill Enterprises confirming the purchase and I have their fax number to send an FFL to. Hopefully I won't get another email saying something like "we regret to inform you that there was a mistake....."

Screaming deal. I will update as soon as I hear something else.

Jon is a great guy to deal with and a member of this board. :cheers:

That's good to know. I emailed a gunsmith I know about the deal and he said the same thing, that Oak Hill is a good a legitimate business. The gun is for my 12 year old son and he is pretty excited.

Jon is a great guy to deal with and a member of this board. :cheers:

That's good to know. I emailed a gunsmith I know about the deal and he said the same thing, that Oak Hill is a good a legitimate business. The gun is for my 12 year old son and he is pretty excited.

As well your Son should be. That is a great gun for him.

I would deal with Oak Hill again without reservation.

I received an email from Jon this morning. Typo on the price. Even though all of the rules on Guns America that hosts his website say that the merchant is responsible for typos if someone buys something before they catch it, he's obviously not going to honor it.

Oh well. Such things happen. I am a builder and developer and have been self employed the majority of my adult life. I have made mistakes like we all have. I have honored things in the past even though it cost me money.

Jon is probably a great guy.

I haven't heard anything else yet. Personally if it was me and it was my mistake I would have honored the price, lost some money and chalked it up to a learning experience and probably get a new loyal customer.

This is America and folks are free to run their own businesses how they choose.

Even though all of the rules on Guns America that hosts his website say that the merchant is responsible for typos if someone buys something before they catch it

If this is what the Guns America rules are I would contact Guns America and make them aware he is not willing to honor the price he had listed. They might make him honor he price of he ever wants to list another item on that site again.

If I'm correct these postings are legal contracts.

Even though all of the rules on Guns America that hosts his website say that the merchant is responsible for typos if someone buys something before they catch it

If this is what the Guns America rules are I would contact Guns America and make them aware he is not willing to honor the price he had listed. They might make him honor he price of he ever wants to list another item on that site again.

If I'm correct these postings are legal contracts.

That is my understanding as well. The rules listed on Guns America are pretty clear. They say that if you catch a typo before someone bids or buys you can change it. If someone buys it first you are expected to honor the sale. I have sent an additional email to Oak Hill Enterprises as well as Guns America but haven't heard anything yet. It seems pretty clearly an offer to sell, acceptance and consideration.

It's kinda like eBay you can change the price untill someone bids/ looks at your posting. If they bid or click watching you are SoL. That same thing happened to me I was the seller and I honored it. Win some loose some it didn't kill me just made me pay more att. to what I had in my adds. :cheers:

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I can see ways to break the GA rules while making you happy enough so that you don't rely on their enforcement & also creating a—if not several—loyal customer(s).

It's kinda like eBay you can change the price untill someone bids/ looks at your posting. If they bid or click watching you are SoL. That same thing happened to me I was the seller and I honored it. Win some loose some it didn't kill me just made me pay more att. to what I had in my adds. :cheers:

It happens. The difference is how people choose to handle it.

I clicked the "add to cart" button, entered my credit card information and submitted it. A short time later I received an email from Oak Hill Enterprises saying that I had placed an order and it showed the price. At the bottom of the message it said "Powered by Guns America Commerce", or something like that. Oak Hill's website is apparently hosted through Guns America. The listing appeared on Oak Hills website (hosted through Guns America) as well as on Guns America's website, both for the same price.

I have still heard nothing further, but will post when I do. Some times doing the right thing is hard for some folks. Ignoring them and hoping they go away is usually not a good strategy.

There was a deal on eBay a while back where a dealership listed a car incorrectly and the winning bid was way, way below list price. It was on a special GTR I believe. The dealer honored the deal because he said it was their mistake, not the buyers and it was the right thing to do.

It appears that online purchases are governed by Article 2 of the UCC. I have been told we had a valid contract. The email I received is considered an expression of acceptance.

Edited by drysideshooter

I have heard nothing back from Guns America, but I received another email from Jon stating that he had canceled the order Form your own opinions, but I certainly know how I feel about Jon and how he conducts his business now.

I may be the minority but taking advantage of someones mistake [GA rules or not] is not what I'd be comfortable doing. There's a big difference between a business doing a 'bait and switch' and just plain making an error.

One can say that he's not a stand up guy/business for not offering to honor his mistake but how is taking advantage of a mistake being a stand up guy?

Edited by ZoomZoom

I may be the minority but taking advantage of someones mistake [GA rules or not] is not what I'd be comfortable doing. There's a big difference between a business doing a 'bait and switch' and just plain making an error.

One can say that he's not a stand up guy/business for not offering to honor his mistake but how is taking advantage of a mistake being a stand up guy?

You aren't in the minority. It was pretty obvious it was a mistake at the time payment was made. Is it a binding contract? More than likely it is. Is it the right thing to do to force him into honoring it? Not from my point of view.

I wonder if those who say it was just an honest mistake are a little biased due to the nature of the business. I think we are a little more sympathetic to our gun shops because they are a constant target and need a little bit of understanding from us to stay in business.

On the other hand, what would you say if it was a big sporting goods chain, restaurant, or other service in yoor town?

I wonder if those who say it was just an honest mistake are a little biased due to the nature of the business. I think we are a little more sympathetic to our gun shops because they are a constant target and need a little bit of understanding from us to stay in business.

On the other hand, what would you say if it was a big sporting goods chain, restaurant, or other service in yoor town?

I would say the exact same thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the business. I might be in the minority, but my sense of fair play tells me not to take advantage of another persons mistake.

Edited by Mitch Harrington

Ethics either you have them or you dont. I have never allowed a scorer to count an oblong hole as a double when I knew the shot was not on target. I have also corrected the bill at a restaurant when I was under charged. You cant have ethics when they are convenient. We play in an industry with low margins for the final seller and as stated above in constant jeopardy with our rights to be taken away. We all need to be stand-up guys. Be the bigger man and do the right thing to forgive someone who made an honest mistake. You even suspected it before you tried to purchase it.

Edited by Reinholt