Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hmmm used to seeing coke bottle 9mm but 38 super?

Mat Price

Using a lee undersize die to size my super brass and it looks like my 9 major rounds with the coke bottle look. Is this common in super also? I thought it only did this with taper cases? First time i am loading super.

You said you were using an undersized sizer. That is the same as a tapered case. Coke bottle isn't so much due to tapered case, as it from sizing the case more than needed and then expanding back up--any straightwall case will do it.

The only negative I have about the wasp waist is if the expander doesn't increase the case ID enough, you can swage a lead bullet down or form a bulge on one side of the case--leading to inaccuracy or failure to chamber.

in my experience, if you're shooting minor 38 super loads, the undersize die is not necessary. Maybe even less necessary with major loads, because they've presumeably been fired in a gun with a supported chamber.

i could be wrong, but i would think unnecessarily undersizing your brass would reduce the life of them. Which doesn't seem to be very long for 38 super cases.

PS. i've only every shot/reloaded minor 38 super loads. i don't know anything about major loads and how much cases may bulge.

in my experience, if you're shooting minor 38 super loads, the undersize die is not necessary. Maybe even less necessary with major loads, because they've presumeably been fired in a gun with a supported chamber.

i could be wrong, but i would think unnecessarily undersizing your brass would reduce the life of them. Which doesn't seem to be very long for 38 super cases.

PS. i've only every shot/reloaded minor 38 super loads. i don't know anything about major loads and how much cases may bulge.

I've got 38super cases loaded to major at least 12 times, probably more, with no issues.

I reload 38SC till they split. That is probably more than 20 times. I tried the U-die didn't do the job, I use a CasePro it puts them back in shape just like factory. But the idea that it tightens the primer pocket is pur myth. If you load some and put them in a plastic bag and shake them if the primers fall out time to go in the salvage bucket.

Tha U-die worked me way too hard, the brass didn't work up a sweat.

I reload 38SC till they split. That is probably more than 20 times. I tried the U-die didn't do the job, I use a CasePro it puts them back in shape just like factory. But the idea that it tightens the primer pocket is pur myth. If you load some and put them in a plastic bag and shake them if the primers fall out time to go in the salvage bucket.

Tha U-die worked me way too hard, the brass didn't work up a sweat.

no krazy glue? :lol:

I shot 38 super in my open gun for several years. I ran all cases thru a U die. No noticeable wear. I re used my brass, and frankly, quit counting the # of times it was reloaded. I know it was way over 15 reloads shooting 175pf. I shot it until it split. You are going to lose it faster than you'll wear it out IMHO.

I Udie'd for reliability reasons. I wanted every round to feed, every time.......and it did. I set up a single stage press with the Udie. From there straight to the case feeder, the 650 ran like BUTTER.

Edited by Chris iliff

I shot 38 super in my open gun for several years. I ran all cases thru a U die. No noticeable wear. I re used my brass, and frankly, quit counting the # of times it was reloaded. I know it was way over 15 reloads shooting 175pf. I shot it until it split. You are going to lose it faster than you'll wear it out IMHO.

I Udie'd for reliability reasons. I wanted every round to feed, every time.......and it did.

Thats why I use the u die I just always have for everything. especially when I shot limited to get that 40 glock bulge out.Just didnt think they would coke bottle so much in super lol. will find out tomorrow if they run ok

One advantage to the "coke bottle" shape is that it will resist bullet setback better than if the case walls are straight. Generally speaking, it is somewhat desirable.

THIS. I just started loading 38 SC and set my press up the same way I did for 9MM, 40 and 45. I'm not worried about the bulging, I never want setback issues and the udie, to me, is the most consistent way to do so.