Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 bullet hitting while chambering

unit30

I'm at wits end and decided to see if anyone else has run into this. My cartridges are hitting something as they are being rammed into the chamber. So far, I've dremeled and polished all the sharp areas around the entry to the chamber. Any ideas? My load is a 180 grain Bayou Bullet at 1.180 oal. Barrel is a Scheumann AET. DSCN0058.jpg

Edited by unit30

They are too long and are hitting the rifling? Pull the barrel and drop them in. They should go ker plop and then fall right out.

Drop them in and twist them. You will probably see a scratch instead of a little tick mark.

Edited by Sarge

are the marks from chambering or extraction ?

my gun leaves marks trying to extract a long loaded 40 I believe mine are hitting the barrel hood. I get smiley faces though.

They are not hitting the rifling. Ive got two brazos super mag's and and two others that have been tuned. The brazos measure .545 at the tip and .565 at the wide spot. The tuned ones are .532 and .557. Ive noticed that the wider ones produce shallower cuts than the narrower mag's.

Edited by unit30

Its happening during chambering, not extraction.

Just a thought, take a black mark o lot and make a mark from bottom of case to crimp.

load it into mag with black mark up or top dead center and then work slide to chamber bullet.

this should give us an idea what 1/4 this is happening.

top right, top left, bottom right or bottom left.

I may be wrong but it is only one mark per bullet...yes?

I had the same Issue with the same bullet and oal. Bayou bullets measure .401 and the shoulder is not start tapering at th crimp. The bullet extendes then a sharp angle to the tip. I called Donnie about my issue and he explained it to me, he was much better explaining this than I am. I think they now make a .400 bullet. That should solve the issue, so will Rainier .400 HP, IMHO. Hope this helps.

i figured out where it is hitting, five o clock position when looking at the chamber. I've dremeled this area enough and dont think it would be safe to go any further. It is still hitting after rounding the corner pretty good.

Edited by unit30

they extract with no resistance unless the cut is deep and it displaces the lead outward on each side of the cut. If that happens, it is difficult to extract because it increases the width in that area.

slide stop already done a while back. i know its not ejection because i am ejecting slowly and watching to see if it is hitting the top part of the chamber. Plus, it wouldnt be hard to eject due to the cut in the bullet if it is happening during extraction.