Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition 5.25 .40 loads

MrTizzon

My minor load is 3.5 grains TG behind 180 TC grain (Missouri) lead bullets. Plenty accurate, very soft shooting, slaps steel no problem (when I have the sights properly aligned on the steel while pulling trigger). I do not have a major load.

Gun: XDm 5.25 (40 S&W)

Case: mixed

Bullet: Precision Delta, 180 grain FMJ

Primer: CCI 400 (small rifle)

Powder: Winchester Super Field

Charge: 5.5 grains

OAL: 1.12"

PF: 170

5.6 grains and CCI 500 (small pistol) primer:

PF: 177 PF: 167

Edited by Reshoot

[...]

Primer: CCI 400 (small rifle)

[...]

PF: 170

Above load using CCI 500 (small pistol) primer:

PF: 177

:surprise:

When I saw your surprised post, thought I better go back and check the chrono log. Sure enough, I screwed up the post! Sorry all ! :unsure:

I corrected the post!

Edited by Reshoot

• 1 month later...

Currently using WST with a 180gn plated flat point. Oal 1.135"

Major 4.8 with stock spring

Minor 3.8 with a #16 spring

Do your recall the temperature at time of chrono? 4.6 gr put me @ 170 PF at 70 degrees.

I was lucky. I found .40 flat nose 143 grain lead projectiles GAT Bullets for PRODUCTION, also 175 grain lead swc GAT Bullets for LIMITED with my 5.25 XDm 40.

I load to 131pf with 4.7 gr 231 (minor) and 170 pf using 5.5 gr 231.(major) CCI small pistol primers for both loads...

Since Hodgdon HP 38 and Winchester 231 are identical, I have switched to HP38 'cause it's cheaper.

I tested a load similar to MrTizzon's using some WST for minor. Mine was on two days with an XD Tactical. First time with the stock spring. Temperature was 69 degrees and I was using an S&S 180grn cast lead bullet (LFN). 3.6grn WST. Power factor for 20 shots was 147 in the 5" barrel. My notes said it ran perfectly with the stock spring. The second time I tried this load, I also tried a 15lb spring in my XD Tactical. That day was recorded as 75 degrees and cloudy. Again, the gun ran perfectly with the lighter recoil spring as well. The power factor for 20 shots was 146 on that day. The accuracy, my notes said, was very good... which means it was as least as good as I could hold it on a bench while firing over the chronograph. Notes also said it was a very pleasant load to shoot.

I prefer WST to Titegroup in general, only because the gun does not get nearly as hot with WST as when using Titegroup, but Titegroup will also shoot some good groups. I have never tried to use WST for major, preferring Silhouette (5.8grn) for that use with various 180grn bullets, mostly lead. I have also tried Universal (5.2grn) which is a bit snappier than Silhouette for major, but does well with Montana Gold 180grn JHP. Universal is a bit too brisk and smokey with lead bullets at 5.2grn, whereas the 5.8grn of Silhouette seems less smokey with lead. Montana Gold JHP's seem to run slower than several other bullets so if you use those you would have to kick up the Silhouette load to about 6grns to be assured of major, or use the Universal load of 5.2grn.

@ Deja... The temp was blazing hot that day @ 90 degrees. Was tripping out when I did 4.6 and the pf got me to 161! I bumped it to 4.8 gave me a pf @ 168!

Getting ready for our level II here Cali with this reverse temp stuff :) As long as I don't go minor! Match starts at the bench!

I like the loads in the fall n winter.

Made minor @ 3.5 with an fps avg in the 750's with a 180gn... Temp in the 90's... Really light load with a 16 lbs spring... I would not go any lower than that... I have a feeling that if I drop lower i would get feed problems.

Edited by MrTizzon

@PKT1106... I gotta wonder if your 3.1 Clays load ran the gun with the stock spring setup. I'm about to try the same loading with 180grn lead cast bullets but I thought I would have to go with a lighter recoil spring. Your input would be appreciated. I will be using 1.135 as my OAL though.

Edited by Justsomeguy

You will see the ejection distance go down with a 130 pf load and stock weight spring. As long as the sight picture returns without extra effort to align and the empty cases are clearing the gun it is good to go.

Rich

@PKT1106... I gotta wonder if your 3.1 Clays load ran the gun with the stock spring setup. I'm about to try the same loading with 180grn lead cast bullets but I thought I would have to go with a lighter recoil spring. Your input would be appreciated. I will be using 1.135 as my OAL though.

Stock springs and the brass cleared every shot. Brass landed right next to my feet in a nice pile.

Thanks pkt1106! Since my last post I did indeed try the 3.1 Clays load with some S&S Cast LFN 180grn bullets. I made up 100rnds and tried it in both an XD Tactical and an XDm 5.25 both with stock recoil springs. It ran both guns just fine and laid all the empties on my tarp about a foot to the right and a foot to the rear of me, though a few barely made it. I like this load and made up 500 more for more testing and just to shoot. I got a little over 143 power factor in both guns, which is certainly adequate and pleasant to shoot.

Also, there was barely any smoke using lead bullets. In fact, this is the least smokey load I have ever tried with lead, resembling a full power jacketed bullet load... that is, you really have to look for it. Though I still don't think that Clays is suitable for major loads, I really like it for minor now.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using Universal in a 4.5 .40 for major? Any info would be appreciated.

Well... if you read up in the thread I said I tried 5.2grns Universal with a Montana Gold 180grn JHP which will give you about 170-172PF in the 4.5 XDm. The OAL was 1.132. It produces about the same energy in the 5" Tactical, and the 5.25 as well. But, it is a bit snappier than my preferred load of 5.8 to 6grns of Silhouette (depending on which bullet you use!). Still... it is a very reliable and accurate load. Others have used as little as 5.0 grns. of Universal with bullets other than the Montana Gold JHP and still had room to spare. Your gun and bullet choice will determine your final loading of course.

Anyone using Universal in a 4.5 .40 for major? Any info would be appreciated.

Well... if you read up in the thread I said I tried 5.2grns Universal with a Montana Gold 180grn JHP which will give you about 170-172PF in the 4.5 XDm. The OAL was 1.132. It produces about the same energy in the 5" Tactical, and the 5.25 as well. But, it is a bit snappier than my preferred load of 5.8 to 6grns of Silhouette (depending on which bullet you use!). Still... it is a very reliable and accurate load. Others have used as little as 5.0 grns. of Universal with bullets other than the Montana Gold JHP and still had room to spare. Your gun and bullet choice will determine your final loading of course.

My bad. I must have blazed right past it. Thanks.

I ran 3.1 grains Clays with the stock 18lb spring for a while and it worked, but the brass would often bounce off the top of the slide before going down. It was so close to being non-functional I upped it to 3.2 grains and it worked a little better. Since then I've gone down to 3.0 grains and a 14lb spring and it runs like a top.