Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 CMJ MG + N320 for Major

tackdr1ver

Well, I managed to make major with Titegroup. However all of the long loads I came up with fell short. I had to bump it down to a 1.135 OAL to push major reliably.

The Big Brown truck just dropped off some N320 and I wanted to get some opinions on where I thought I should start:

I plan on loading @ 1.200 OAL

I plan on doing ten rounds of each:

My question is: do you think I am starting too low? I have seen a lot of variations in people's loads so I think 4.6 is a really safe starting point.

But, my barrel seems to run a little on the slow side. Should I start higher or is the plan good???

Well,

at 1.200 I could not make major going up to 5.1gr of N320. By my calculations, it would take 5.7gr to make it. My question is: is it safe to go that high with N320?

Or should I back off to either 1.190 or 1.180 and try from there? I would prefer to keep them as long as possible, just unsure of where I should go from here..

what gun are you loading for? barrel length? For 5" STI 2011 guns I suggest starting at 1.180, and only go to 1.20 if 1.180 doesnt feed 100%. when I used to run 180's in my .40 2011s 4.7 grains of N320 with a Hornady HAP jhp, Fed SR primer and 1x Remington case used to get me 168-170 pf. A MG CMJ will probably run a tad slower but close enough. I suggest trying out loads at 1.18 oal, and 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0 grains of N320 to get you the desired pf.

1.180 seems to be the de facto long oal for .40. if the gun runs at 1.180 no sense loading longer. Atlanta arms loads their long load .40 at 1.180, and that is the recommended length by several other prominent gun builders.

I'm so jealous that you guys can get powder dropped off at your door by the big brown truck. we gotta jump through a crapload of hoops to get powder here :( Local shops hardly carry anything.

what gun are you loading for? barrel length? For 5" STI 2011 guns I suggest starting at 1.180, and only go to 1.20 if 1.180 doesnt feed 100%. when I used to run 180's in my .40 2011s 4.7 grains of N320 with a Hornady HAP jhp, Fed SR primer and 1x Remington case used to get me 168-170 pf. A MG CMJ will probably run a tad slower but close enough. I suggest trying out loads at 1.18 oal, and 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0 grains of N320 to get you the desired pf.

1.180 seems to be the de facto long oal for .40. if the gun runs at 1.180 no sense loading longer. Atlanta arms loads their long load .40 at 1.180, and that is the recommended length by several other prominent gun builders.

I'm so jealous that you guys can get powder dropped off at your door by the big brown truck. we gotta jump through a crapload of hoops to get powder here :( Local shops hardly carry anything.

Loading for a 5'' SVI infinity. I started at 1.200 as that is what Brandon Strayer suggested when I spoke to him about the gun. The problem is: I wasn't getting anywhere close to major at that OAL. The Highest I went was 1.200 OAL Fed #100 over 5.1gr VVn320 and I was only pushing 820-ish FPS. It's like this barrel has a speed brake in it, kinda weird.

I have cooked up some 1.180 loads starting at 4.7, hopefully they will get there!

I did get to major at a 1.135 OAL but I didn't get 100% reliability at that length, had a few small hiccups so I would like to avoid going that short.

It is nice to get powder dropped off at your home, the outrageous Hazmat fees are a bummer though!

1.2 is over kill with 180..

1.2 is really for 200gr bullets at major..

1.8 is a good length..

I think your charges are a good dev start..

The thing is, if I can't get the 180's to go fast enough without using gobs of powder, I may have to go to a 200gr bullet. Keep your fingers crossed!

the AET barrels seem to run a tad slower, but I think its more the 1.20 oal thats giving the slow readings. because of the AET barrel you may have to go a little higher but should be in the ballpark of 5.0/5.1 grains at 1.180 with a 180 for 170 pf. never tried loading a 200 gr bullet, but some guys dont like the recoil impulse which is soft but slower. some of the guys in our local club tried the 200's but couldnt really feel the difference and went back to 180s.

for my 6" gun with Schuemann Classic bbl I use 5.4 grains of N320 at 1.180 with a 165 gr Zero jhp for 170-172 pf. Load chronos 172 at home but at Area 1 last month it went 170.7.

Edited by blaster113

Don't decrease OAL to increase velocity, all you're doing is increasing pressures more than if you were to just bump up your charge a little.

You haven't mentioned which bullets you're using? MTG FMJ? MTG JHP? HAP? The load I worked up for 320 was 5.2gr 320 with MTG 180 JHP @ 1.200 with a Winchester small rifle primer, out of a 5" STI barrel. I don't use this load, generally just shoot WST due to cost compared to VV powders.

My bad.

Yes, I am using MG 180 CMJ's with FED NO #100 SPP and mixed brass.

Today I chronod again, 5.1 gr of VVN320 got me to 860-ish I am hoping 5.3 @ 1.180 will make it. The 1.180 length really cycled well in the gun which was nice.

My biggest fear has been going to such a large charge. I am unexperienced in N320 and wasn't sure if I went to such a high charge that I would be asking for problems..

Thanks Paul! I am heading out shortly to train with my coach, I am hoping that the latest formula will get there. I just have a slow barrel I guess, I'll get there one of these days!

I load 1.120 oal with 5.2 of VVn320. When I went from 5.0 to 5.3 PF went from 163-164 to 174-175 So backed it down to 5.2. Now I'm at 170-172pf. That is with 180 MG CMJ flats & 180 MG JHP. And mixed brass. When I go to a major I shoot federal brass, from the range. This is to help with the deveation at the chrono. Godd luck. Don't forget to check the primers/ brass for pressure.

Well thank you all for your help!

I am happy to report that I finally made it. It was running around a 945 FPS avg this morning for a 170.9 PF This was at 5.3GR of N320 The loads were pretty nice shooting and felt pretty good. Accuracy was spot on!

I may bump it up a .1 to get around a 173-175--ish Pf.

1.12 seems awful short to me. Seems shorter than factory. Not knowing any better I would be looking at my primers with a 5.2 gr of VV 320 at that length for pressure signs.

Shuemann barrels run slowing in my experience. My experience is standing next to Taran while he is developing a load for his Shuemann barrel and I have a Kart barrel. His Shuemann was always ~15 fps slower.

I talked with Beven about the OAL and mags at Nationals one year. He said, he had seen 1.2 OAL jam in some magazines. He recommended 1.17-1.18 for those guns that needed to be loaded long.

1.12 seems awful short to me. Seems shorter than factory. Not knowing any better I would be looking at my primers with a 5.2 gr of VV 320 at that length for pressure signs.

Shuemann barrels run slowing in my experience. My experience is standing next to Taran while he is developing a load for his Shuemann barrel and I have a Kart barrel. His Shuemann was always ~15 fps slower.

I talked with Beven about the OAL and mags at Nationals one year. He said, he had seen 1.2 OAL jam in some magazines. He recommended 1.17-1.18 for those guns that needed to be loaded long.

Paul,

I noticed the 1.200's kinda had a little hitch in feeding. These 1.180's are like butter in comparison. I had a problematic mag and switching to the 1.180's the issues went away. I think we have a winner!

Edited by tackdr1ver