Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Holster Grey Area

38SuperDub

This is starting to really bother me. I recently purchased one of the new Ghost Stinger holsters - everything about this holster meets the requirements for Production that are set in stone - 2" from inside belt to nearest side of pistol, 1/2" or less cut under ejection port - the issue that people are hung up on is whether or not this is a "RACE" holster - well here is the problem I have - WHAT IS A RACE HOLSTER? There is no where in the rule book that takes the time to define what a "RACE" holster is and isnt so therefore its up to whoever is ruling at the time to make that decision as to whether or not they view it as a race holster. I feel that if we are going to use terms such as "RACE Holster" or "Suitable for every day use" in the rule book that these things need to be defined - it would be much easier to simply spell out exactly what hte holster should be without terms that anyone can skew to their needs. Why not remove the previous two statements from the rule and use something such as "Firearm must be in retention device that covers trigger as well as 75% of the pistol" that way you are basically saying it needs to be in a kydex type holster.

How is this:

pre_1336567181__photo_2.jpg

Any more of a "RACE" holster than this:

BladeTech_DOH.jpg

Yet you have nobody questioning whether or not a BladeTech is legal. I really hate the grey area in the rules - if you are going to use terms - DEFINE THEM IN A GLOSSARY or take them out and be SPECIFIC!!!!!

Rant Off!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did. John said he is going to have to look and make sure it's not a race holster.

The thing is the rules should be clear cut with no grey area.

FWIW

I agree with you but until a rule is changed in the book its up to him.

I know. I will be sending my area director a note requesting this brought up for discussion. Im not mad at anyone just think we need to take interpretation out the rule book S much as possible.

Awesome thread! I am in the same boat with a holster I built. It fits all the rules, but there is that nagging grey "Race gun type holster" here is mine of which I sent a pic to John A. on Monday. No response yet. I sent a different pic than this one. The one I sent gives the viewer a better sense of how the CR Speed hanger and CompTac holster are mated together.

552802_3690115581794_1279941699_n.jpg

He said he is going to take a look?? Where?? I don't see anywhere in the rule book to find the definition of race gun type holster. As far as I am concerned there is nowhere to look. So how do we know? I really think they need to drop that part("race gun" type holster).

HAHA NICE - yea that was my biggest issue - the "Race Holster" is not defined - if it was defined then anyone who can read can determine legal or not - I sent Phil an email and spoke with my area director - just asking them to clear this up - make the rules not up for interpretation

So someone out there could think the Ghost and my O.P.P.H. would give a competitive advantage over the widely accepted BladeTech. Most BladeTechs I have seen don't pass the 2" rule like mine(and Ghost) does, but nobody seems to care becasue "everone" in Production uses them.

I don't personally have a problem with those holsters, and I think the defined holster dimensions set forth in the rule book are adequate.

If they do rule on them as race holsters, I think the determining factor would be that there is more than one degree of freedom in their adjustment.

But where in the rule book does it say that having more than one degree of freedom in adjustment qualifies a holster as a race holster - thats my big issue - a "race holster" is not defined - but left up for each person to make their own determination as to what it is

Maybe Production should be about the gun and not the allied equipment? Leave all the silly "everyday" rules to SS because its a legacy class? Lots of people seem to think that Production is for noobs with stock guns, I feel that its just as much a full race division as LTD. Maybe it was never intended to be an arms race, but its to late. The rules let you double the cost of a Glock pretty easy. Whoa, lil rant there, I'll stop.

Looks like a normal holster to me, just the mount between the holster and belt is different then your typical ones. If I'm RO'ing and someone shows up with one, as long as it passes the holster rules for Production, minus the ambiguous "Race Holster" comment, I'd let you use it.

Edited by jdphotoguy