Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pawn Shop S&W Model of 1905 4th Change

TerryYu

I'm debating if I want to buy a S&W I saw today at the local pawn shop.

It's a S&W Model 10 in 38spl, 4 inch pencil barrel, seems like it was made in the 60's. They're asking $190 for it.

It has significant finish wear, but no rust. There's about an inch or so of bluing that is worn off the left side of the gun near the muzzle and is a bit dirty but there it doesn't seem like there's any breech wear, the barrel is shiny with good rifling, and the clockwork seems tight. Trigger pull feels good, clicks like a good smith should. I believe they priced it as poor shape due to the bluing coming off.

Do you think it's worth the $190? Internet is selling them for $260 all day long at about 70-80% finish wear. I would be using it primarily as a intro to ICORE gun but I want to be able to get my money out of it if I wind up not liking ICORE. I don't intend on putting a lot of money into it, just taking it apart, detail clean and polish, and perhaps touching up the bluing with cold blue.

Edit: It wasn't a Model 10. It was a Model of 1905 4th Change

Edited by TerryYu

Miranda, I am not 100% sure what you mean. I'm not sure if I can do better for $190. Certainly couldn't find one much cheaper than that, the question to me is are its faults worth the $80 discount.

Though I've not hit up any pawn shops lately, they were often a good source for crappy looking guns with like new internals.

Many of their guns were not cared for very well but shot even less. Any time I was looking for something to build into something else, a pawn shop was my first stop. About the only thing that would scare me off would be a gun with the serial number messed with.

Bill

I think I was pointing out that the price

is, lets say, on the low side for that kind of pistol.

If you want a similar pistol...

can you get a real sharp one for a very similar price?

can you get one a LOT like it for a LOT less?

I can't answer those questions...

because I have not priced wheel guns in any way.

Your description make me think the pistol is in good condition,

it just looks like it was carried a lot, thus worn.

Does it look like it lived its life in a holster?

miranda

Yes, it looked like it lived life in a holster. Especially since the wear looks like it's 100% from someone who holstered up on his right side and walked around, causing the leather holster to rub on the left side of the barrel.

I'm going to let it bake for a couple of days. If it's still at the shop Tuesday I will pick it up. Hopefully I can talk them down another $10, or someone else will buy it and I don't have to add to my collection :)

Edited by TerryYu

The shop called me back and said they ran the serial number and it actually corresponds to a 1930's manufacture (number is in the 40,000s).

Does that factor into the equation?

From your description, its a little too rough to be a collector's item. If you plan to use it for a build, a newer model might be better. But if you can prove J. Edgar carried it, you might have something.

Bill

I'd buy it, if for no other reason than to have another shooter for a relatively low price. $190 for a cool gun is "no-brainer" territory for me.

Exactly! What have you lost if you buy it? Nothing....you can prob sell it for what you paid for it after putting 10,000 rounds through it.... Buy it.

If looks determined how well something shot, a lot of the guns I've had in the past wouldn't have fired. If the guts of the gun look good buy it, and as someone here once said, " shoot it like ya stole it." Which at that price is kinda true.

I love my Model 10. It was on consignment at a local gun shop for $250, it has a 4" heavy barrel. After tax and DROS it was almost $300. It's the best money I ever spent, they're just awesome revo's. I bought mine for ICORE as well, but now I take it out almost every time I go shooting.

If you don't like it you can get your money back, they're going for $260 online right?

Yes, they are. However this one has a ton more finish damage than the ones selling online as well as being much older.

I'm going back to the pawn shop today and if it's there, it's mine.

After I test the clockwork again just to make sure I'm not missing something.

Well. It's in my hands. Passed all the function tests for a revolver. Walked out the door with it and 3 speedloaders for $200 + tax

Pics after I get home. I now must appease the lady by taking her shopping for graciously allowing me to spend my money.

Edited by TerryYu

Well it's at home and I was quite wrong about the gun.

It's not a model 10, it's actually a M&P Model of 1905 4th change with a 6" barrel.

Serial number is 486,xxx which makes it ~1925 manufacture.

Took it home for $200 and got them to throw in three speedloaders.

Here's some pics :rolleyes:

Very professional packaging! They gave it to me in a chicken bag, so it's forever going to be my fried chicken gun.

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

This is the finish wear I was talking about.

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

Other side of the barrel.

IMG_1685.jpg

After I got it home I played with the action even more. It seems very tight and aside from a good oiling it doesn't seem like it needs any more work to get it serviceable.

Can anyone tell me if I got a good deal? I can take more pictures of various parts of the gun if needed.

Edited by TerryYu

And.... If you think you did not get a deal or get buyers remorse. I'll take it off your hands.

Any S&W is a deal at 200.00

Does not look like wear to me. Not sure what caused the finish damage but wear is usually smoother and "feathered" into the rest of the finish more gradually...?

:-) looks like a good pistol to me....

(I wish that meant something worthwhile)

believe it or not, I have always wanted a fried chicken gun.

won't bring home nuthin' 'cept fried chicken.

preferably on Fridays.

miranda

And.... If you think you did not get a deal or get buyers remorse. I'll take it off your hands.

Any S&W is a deal at 200.00

Does not look like wear to me. Not sure what caused the finish damage but wear is usually smoother and "feathered" into the rest of the finish more gradually...?

My theory is that it was scratched or sanded off, although the barrel isn't rough, it's smooth.