Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pawn Shop S&W Model of 1905 4th Change

TerryYu

Also doesn't look like much wear at all inside the crane or on the ejector rod. All I see is some holster wear on the cylinder and what appears to be some reaction of the barrel to leather somewhere in it's life. Shoot it!

I've bought 50 rounds of walmart 38 spl and I will probably go hit up the range tomorrow and see if it blows my hand off. :roflol:

After shooting a couple of ICOREs, I may invest in a .38spl die set so I don't have to buy factory ammo.

Edited by TerryYu

And.... If you think you did not get a deal or get buyers remorse. I'll take it off your hands.

Any S&W is a deal at 200.00

Does not look like wear to me. Not sure what caused the finish damage but wear is usually smoother and "feathered" into the rest of the finish more gradually...?

My theory is that it was scratched or sanded off, although the barrel isn't rough, it's smooth.

Actually, it appears it had blood on it. My uncle Ed had a revolver with similar spots where the bluing was worn off, he used it to shoot pigs and cows on his farm. Apparently, some of the old bluing formulas would not hold up to blood?

Got it cleaned up.

Very happy so far! After running three patches through soaked with Hoppe's Bore Gel it came out very shiny. After liberal application of FP-10, the action slicked up and now the cylinder spins much easier.

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

That thing was never shot much...Merlin hit it dead on...no drag ring....And it really looks as if the barrel was purposely scraped...that's not usual wear and tear...

Either way, it's great deal, I think.....If it looks ugly to you, Duracoat it.... :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I wanted to come by and post an update of how the old fried chicken gun is doing.

I've used it for two months shooing ICORE and Steel Challenge and let me say, it's a blast! This thing is very accurate and has become the most reliable gun in my collection. I've probably put at least 500 rounds through it in a competition setting and it has not failed me once. Unfortunately for it, a comment by my revolver guru has done it in. "You should look for a shorter revolver, that hog leg is too long to get out of the holster!"

Went back to the same pawn shop and lo and behold... I walked home with a excellent condition S&W 686 no dash for $410! Can anyone help me date this revolver? The serial number is AJMxxxx. Photos below :)

IMG_1877.jpgIMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg