Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California USPSA matches... limited mags in all classes or no?

motochris

Total newbie in Ca. here....

I attended a shoot in PA a week ago (first time ever, that's a whole 'nuther story) and really liked it. Decided I'de see about getting into it here in Ca.

I'm going to use my 1911 in SS to get rolling and see how it all works and such. Looking at all the other classes got me to thinking about the magazine limits in Ca.

Can you shoot with higher cap mags in the classes that allow it here?

I know some of the basics of the Ca. mag laws... but it's confusing enough that I'm not sure how/what it all applies to. For instance.. if you had an XDm, I'de assume you couldn't shoot with more than 10 rds because the gun wasn't even around before 2000 to have the mags for.

Any help appreciated....

Know the law and stay legal. Get out and shoot at your local club(s) and figure out what is "acceptable", then you can make an individual decision if shooting a high capacity division is worth putting yourself at risk with the law. What individual clubs might overlook will likely not be discussed here.

Know the law and stay legal. Get out and shoot at your local club(s) and figure out what is "acceptable", then you can make an individual decision if shooting a high capacity division is worth putting yourself at risk with the law. What individual clubs might overlook will likely not be discussed here.

Interesting... so it's possible that some clubs may allow higher cap mags. I'll have to do some research..

I don't currently own a gun that could even use a higher cap magazine, but the XD 5.25 .40 I shot in PA was a ton of fun! Made me start thinking about how it works at a Ca. competition.

Know the law and stay legal.

^^^ This is good advice.

What individual clubs might overlook will likely not be discussed here.

No, it won't.

This subject comes up regularly, and routinely devolves into discussions filled with everything from hints and innuendo to outright claims of dishonest or illegal behavior.

Helpful, factual information for Chris would be appreciated.

You can easily shoot L-10 and Production without running afoul of the laws here in our state. it will not hamper your fun if you don't mind changing your mags more frequently. That is a skill that will not hinder your abilities that I can tell.

Have fun, and whenever you can, come visit us in the Palm Springs area on the 3rd Sunday of the month at Palm Springs Gun Club.

JZ

I wasn't asking in terms of "do they do something illegal".... I just didn't know if "closed course" competitions were possibly exempt from the 10rd laws. Obviously from the replies.. they are not. I was sure hoping there was a legal loophole. I'de be good with only being able to shoot higher cap mags in competition only.

I'll definitely check to see how the local club does things though. Can't hardly wait until next month to try it out.:)

You can easily shoot L-10 and Production without running afoul of the laws here in our state. it will not hamper your fun if you don't mind changing your mags more frequently. That is a skill that will not hinder your abilities that I can tell.

Have fun, and whenever you can, come visit us in the Palm Springs area on the 3rd Sunday of the month at Palm Springs Gun Club.

JZ

I could shoot L-10 but not production with my 1911...correct? My plan is to start in SS and go from there. I have a full size Kimber CDP.

I can hardly wait to go to a shoot with my gun...I've never had it in a holster ever. Ordered an Uncle Mikes kydex holster and some double mag holders, plus 6 8rd magazines. Up until now, I've really only plinked with it, so this should be fun.

In PA... I was there for a funeral and my cousins were going to this shoot and asked if I wanted to come along. SURE.. I had nothing better to do. We got there and they asked if I wanted to shoot the .40 or the .45, I'm like "I just came to watch", but they weren't having any of it. Ended up shooting a nice XD Competition 5.25 .40 with a nice trigger and a compensator. My first shot of the gun was at the first target of the event. I just walked thru it just concentrating on hitting the targets mainly. Totally fun.... having a sweet gun to shoot was icing on the cake. :)

I am not going to discuss laws and such here, since we have a forum already in place to discuss CA laws etc.

www.calguns.net

but my advice is to shoot SS division since you are already geared up for it, and once you start shooting, you will be able to understand more about the "standard capacity mag laws"

welcome =)

Total newbie in Ca. here....

I attended a shoot in PA a week ago (first time ever, that's a whole 'nuther story) and really liked it. Decided I'de see about getting into it here in Ca.

I'm going to use my 1911 in SS to get rolling and see how it all works and such. Looking at all the other classes got me to thinking about the magazine limits in Ca.

Can you shoot with higher cap mags in the classes that allow it here?

I know some of the basics of the Ca. mag laws... but it's confusing enough that I'm not sure how/what it all applies to. For instance.. if you had an XDm, I'de assume you couldn't shoot with more than 10 rds because the gun wasn't even around before 2000 to have the mags for.

Any help appreciated....

Shoot your SS! check calguns.net, tons of information there. Come shoot with us at Richmond Rod & Gun Club, 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month!

I am not going to discuss laws and such here, since we have a forum already in place to discuss CA laws etc.

www.calguns.net

but my advice is to shoot SS division since you are already geared up for it, and once you start shooting, you will be able to understand more about the "standard capacity mag laws"

welcome =)

Outstanding advice! A club is not a law enforcement agency, nor is USPSA. There are no loopholes or special provisions. Stay safe and stay legal. Calguns.net really is a great resource for local shooters. I've lived here my whole life and still have to double check on the legal stuff sometimes.

Welcome to shooting and the forums!

Kevin :cheers:

Thanks guys. I'm not new to shooting, but definitely new to organized shooting. We have a local club that holds shoots once a month here. I'll start up with them and see how it goes.

Ridgecrest, CA. I know that place. Used to date a girl whose family lived up there. Nice drive up there and kind of significant place to boot. China Lake is right near there and the base where they developed a lot of the stuff for Fat Boy and Little Boy.

On topic: I am shooting SS this year and am having a blast with it. You will enjoy yourself and may find you are not in too big of a rush to shoot anything else!

Welcome and hope to see you down at RRGC, Sac Valley or Solano Target Masters. www.actionpistol.org has all the matches in our area. Check it out.

Oh man. How did I miss this ? Working way too much these days.

For the record, possession of magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rds is not a crime in California. Period.

Check out calguns.

For the record, possession of magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rds is not a crime in California. Period.

Check out calguns.

True, but it's not quite that simple.

Sometimes possession of mags with a capacity greater than 10 rounds would be evidence that a crime has been committed, for example, in the case of an XDm, where having a 19-rd mag would be evidence that someone had "manufacture[d] or cause[d] to be manufactured, import[ed] into the state, [kept] for sale, or offer[ed] or expose[d] for sale, or [] [gave], or len[t], [a] large-capacity magazine". At the least, if an LEO decided to pursue it, he could take the mags.

Check out calguns.

Sometimes possession of mags with a capacity greater than 10 rounds would be evidence that a crime has been committed, for example, in the case of an XDm, where having a 19-rd mag would be evidence that someone had "manufacture[d] or cause[d] to be manufactured, import[ed] into the state, [kept] for sale, or offer[ed] or expose[d] for sale, or [] [gave], or len[t], [a] large-capacity magazine". At the least, if an LEO decided to pursue it, he could take the mags.

Exactly. This came up in another forum, too. Remember, this is the state where you can find a jury so stupid they think OJ is innocent. Think 12 people that stupid can't decide you're guilty? Wanna bet your freedom on 12 people that stupid?

Even if they don't find you guilty, wanna spend 100 grand on lawyers and 6 months in jail waiting for trial (or 25k for a bond)?

We all know it's a stupid law, and we all want it to die (and the unbelievably great Cal Guns Foundation is working on the issue), but it's a lot to risk just for....what? a meaningless local match?

Join calguns.net. Read a lot. Shoot SS-that's what all the cool guys shoot anyway smile.gif. It takes a long time to understand California gun laws-probably a year of reading, research, and reviewing. And then there will be new things. California has more clubs than any other state, has a rich tradition-Jeff Cooper was from LA, but things have changed...........

Join calguns.net. Read a lot. Shoot SS-that's what all the cool guys shoot anyway smile.gif. It takes a long time to understand California gun laws-probably a year of reading, research, and reviewing. And then there will be new things. California has more clubs than any other state, has a rich tradition-Jeff Cooper was from LA, but things have changed...........

Another thing that really surprised me....California has more USPSA members than any other state. :)

Another thing that really surprised me....California has more USPSA members than any other state. :)

Yeah, I think they have more people, too.

Check out calguns.

I have a Shadow and im sure it was produced post 2000. I used my mags for my regular CZ 75. I didn't have to modify anything to it.

Edited by Torogi

Thanks guys. I'm not new to shooting, but definitely new to organized shooting. We have a local club that holds shoots once a month here. I'll start up with them and see how it goes.

Ridgecrest, CA. I know that place. Used to date a girl whose family lived up there. Nice drive up there and kind of significant place to boot. China Lake is right near there and the base where they developed a lot of the stuff for Fat Boy and Little Boy.

On topic: I am shooting SS this year and am having a blast with it. You will enjoy yourself and may find you are not in too big of a rush to shoot anything else!

Welcome and hope to see you down at RRGC, Sac Valley or Solano Target Masters. www.actionpistol.org has all the matches in our area. Check it out.

That's US alright! Thanks for the welcome. Apparently the local club goes to numerous shoots within 2 hours drive time, so I'll probably hang around with those guys and see how it goes.