Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose sight

bbbean

I had to travel for a week, and didn't get to touch a gun. First practice when I got back, I was shooting worse than I've shot in a long time. Alpha Deltas, missing head shots, just couldn't run the plates clean, etc.

So today I'm getting ready to head out and notice there's a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch of vertical play in the sight! A couple of turns with the allen wrench and suddenly my pairs are in a softball size group, I'm running the plates clcean, taking head only targets with BOTH rounds, etc.

The bad news is that I didn't notice it the first time, the good news is that I apparently AM using my sights after all!

BB

That happened to me with an M&P once. I was getting extremely frustrated, I burned 300 rounds of ammo trying to figure out why I was shooting so bad.

Turns out the rear sight had come loose and walked all the way left. Now its one of the first things I check if I think I'm shooting terribly

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shooter on my squad at the LPR had a loose adjustable rear. He kept wondering why he was getting horizontal stringing (the 2012 stages included six targets that took four or more hits).

And our favorite site breaker, Erik Warren, is back, and managed to hex another of my squad mates - broken rear sight; had to point shoot almost all of a 32 round field course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was shooting my new 1911 Springfield Range Officer for the secont time. At the second stage of an indoor match and on the second target I noticed something was off and I couldn't line up the front and rear sights.. so I just point shot the rest of the stage.

After ULSC, the SO looked at me and said "Hey, is your rear sight supposed to be like that?" and I looked down and the rear adjustable sight was hanging onto the right side of the dovetail by a milimeter or so. I said "No, no it isn't...." and holstered up and went to find someone with the correct bit to tighten it down... Fortunately someone had the correct bit ... and after we tried to put it back on backwards and had a good laugh, I was able to finish the match! :-D

When I got home, I broke out the locktite and that is not happening again! :-D

I was shooting my new 1911 Springfield Range Officer for the secont time. At the second stage of an indoor match and on the second target I noticed something was off and I couldn't line up the front and rear sights.. so I just point shot the rest of the stage.

After ULSC, the SO looked at me and said "Hey, is your rear sight supposed to be like that?" and I looked down and the rear adjustable sight was hanging onto the right side of the dovetail by a milimeter or so. I said "No, no it isn't...." and holstered up and went to find someone with the correct bit to tighten it down... Fortunately someone had the correct bit ... and after we tried to put it back on backwards and had a good laugh, I was able to finish the match! :-D

When I got home, I broke out the locktite and that is not happening again! :-D