Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 rounds .40 in STI mags?

lionel

Hi,

how do you tune a .40 sti mag to get 17 rounds?

I use a dawson base pad,10coils spring,and a red arredondo follower,so i already have 17rounds,but,i can't lock on the mag in the gun(closed slide) :blink:

I should cut off one or more coil's spring to get more space in the mag?

Need your help :D thanks

lionel (hope you could understand my bad english :unsure: )

Lionel,

I can reliably stuff 18rounds (non reloadable) in and STI/SVI tube IPSC box legal.

I have posted here some pics of the work, but if you need, I can provide other "shots".

You might contact forum member Julien Boit if you just want to see how it's done or if you need "range" reports on reliability; otherwise I'll be glad to help you with this.

Key is the basepad: I use some Italian made aluminum basepads available from Armeria Fracassi. ;)

You don't say what length your mags are. The 140mm tubes with the flat factory base pad will hold 19rnds. The 126'ish mm tubes hold 16rnds w/ factory base pad. If you use the +1 Dawson pad on the 140mm tube, you'll still be w/in the legal length for Limited and can fit 20rnds. Using a +2 Dawson pad on the other tube will get you to 18rnds. Some people can fit at least 1 more rnd in the 2 above mentioned mags, using a combination of the different followers and some tweaking of the spring.

-David

NO,flexmoney,my gun(sti edge)fit in the box.It's just a problem of mag's capacity.

here,in france i use the factory 126mm mag made by STI .40(we are not allowed to use the 140mm) and the tube holds only 15rnds(black follower/base pad),so i try to get +2 (dawson base pad,10 coils spring,arredondo red follower),but now,with the tuned mag(17rds),i can't lock the mag in the gun(it doesn't reach the mag catch),if i remove 1 round it's ok, that's my main problem.

Now i have the solution :) (thanks lucas/julien).

Thank you for your interest ;)

had the same problem on my last sti tube. first replace the follower with svi and grind them thin. epoxy where the spring and the follower meet. or get a gramms follower kit and a plus 1 basepad.

i have not tried the latter but will try so after my springs give.

my setup svi follower ground thin gramms spring cut 1 coil, plus 1 basepad on a 124 mm tube. (126mm sti)

i can get 17 on all my mags and they are reloadable.

i have 2 that will hold 18 but 1 will be difficult to reload with. the other, same setup but i ground the follower a little more and the plus 1 basepad was dremeled a little inside and the spring was cut 1.5 coils.

the result was a reloadable 18 round mag. in order for it to be easier to reload with, you push the first bullet forward a little till its head is almost the same level as the front of the mag tube. though i dont use it for that since i only use it for starts.

lionel,

I've mentioned this before, but have gotten no response off of this forum, yet. There's someone out there who makes 19 round RELOADABLE STI mags totally from scratch and they fit in the box. I think he's in Brazil, but I can't be sure. I'm trying to find Alex Chang's contact info to find out where he got his. He used four of them at WSIII and didn't have one problem with them. I had to load one myself to believe it. Of course, they're extremely expensive, but it would be worth it just to have one of them, I think.

Surely I'm not the only one who's seen/heard of this guy.....

If anyone knows how to contact Alex, let me know.

Phil

I'm currently working on a 19-rounds IPSC box compliant S_I magazine project.

Given the small amount of time available, I won't be able to post results soon (and in no way before the Europeans...), but I'll keep ya informed.

You're right Phil, The guy is doing them in the back of his garage, starting from scratch. He does the tube, the spring, the floor plate and the follower :blink:

They sure work well with 19 rds, I don't know with 20.

A shooting buddy bought all four mags from Alex at the World shoot, and If I knew, I would have bought some too ! At that time they were around 150 bucks.

My buddy, the one who bought all alex's mags, found the guy but as far as I know, he doesn't build any more mags.

At least for outside the country.

He ordered 20 of them but could only get 5 and they were sold long before he put his hands on it !

I'm pretty sure I figured out where the extra round can be gained, but I have to work on it. I have one mag built using an SV tube that holds 19rds and fit the box, now I have to make it work reliably.

I saw Alex today and will see him again tomorrow. He and his fellow Brazilian Juggernaut Sebastio are the only people I've seen with the mags. I think he said the guy only makes them for Brazilians. I'll ask him tomorrow. He's been practicing with his Open gun so I can't steal one of his Limited mags out of his range bag. :(

well im from brazil. how about you guys? all men and women in this forums came from brazil :)

we just went our different ways and went to usa, italy, philippines etc. so we all have the right to buy from him right guys ;)

Yes MCOliver, Zorba is right.

You need no modifications to have a 19 rounds mag for you Para, same as BUL M5.

I used BUL tubes, Arredondo follower, and SPS base pads.

I loaded 19 rounds with a 13 coils springs in it, but it was tough to reload them :D

para is easy dude no mods standard parts 19 + 1

i posted it here before somewhere.

PM me if you cant find it

Yeah, 19 is easy even with my mec-gar mags that are a bit shorter than the para's. But I was thinking about the option of having more while still keeping the gun-mag box legal. If somebody can fit 19 in the tapered STI tubes, I'm hoping 21 can be done on the blocky para. ;)

19 rounds on a STI mag? Wow!

I want one of those. My present set-up is still 4 reloadable 17's with 1 that can fit 18 at LAMR(don't use it on major competitions, afraid of binding at a most inopportune moment).