Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Measure Glock Trigger Weight Accurately and Repeatably?

RaylanGivens

How Do You Measure Glock Trigger Weight Accurately and Repeatably?

Searches found similar posts asking this question in 2007 and 2008... Apparently USPSA was considering a 3# trigger pull limit in their Production class. Many people were concerned that the 3# limit would be difficult to enforce because Glock triggers are difficult to measure accurately and repeatably. I'm wondering if the Glock trigger pull weight operation is any more accurate, reliable, or repeatable in the year 2012?

I am a Glock Production shooter and would like to baseline my Glock 34 trigger weight before any possible modifications.

My initial attempts to measure trigger weight were with a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge...I was surprised at how far apart multiple readings proved to be... I guess that's why Lyman has an "Average" function built in to a "digital" trigger pull gauge...

Quite a while later, I happened to talk to a very well known trigger maker and found out that he prefers the RCBS trigger pull scale... The RCBS pull scale does seem to be more repeatable than the digital Lyman pull gauge.

My best effort at measuring trigger pull weight is to place the Glock on a flat table with the barrel pointing up in the air... Place the bottom of the grip and the back of the slide (back of the beavertail actually) on the table and pull the trigger back with the RCBS gauge... The pull has to actually have a small arc to keep the round end of the gauge from sliding up or down on the trigger... The trigger safety also makes this difficult as the trigger gauge will slide up the trigger safety and mess up the reading. Propping the Glock up on a table stabilizes the pistol and makes accurate pulls more possible. Using this method my 3rd gen Glock 34 (with a "-" connector only) has a trigger pull weight of 4.25 to 4.5 pounds.

With so many people posting trigger weights, I figure someone has to have a much better way to do this than what I came up with...

I checked mine with a RCBS gauge, but I don't know any tricks.

After dropping in a 3.5 connector, polish job and clipping springs, mine varies from 5.5 to over 6lbs. I can't get any answers anywhere, and its driving me nuts.

I tape the trigger safety in to disengage it and mark a point in the tape where I usually put my trigger finger when firing the gun. The gun lies flat on a table. I put the hook of the trigger gage on the mark every time I make a measurement. I pull the gage straight rearwards parallel to the slide. W/ Lymann elect. trger pull gage, my vanek GM on a Gk 17 consistently averaged 2# 5oz. I use a masking tape w/c also helps in preventing the hook to slide up/down the trigger during the pull.

I checked mine with a RCBS gauge, but I don't know any tricks.

After dropping in a 3.5 connector, polish job and clipping springs, mine varies from 5.5 to over 6lbs. I can't get any answers anywhere, and its driving me nuts.

I would expect the pull weight to be a bit lower... The only thing I might consider is the spring clipping... Not sure how to control things by clipping the springs... I might replace the clipped springs with either stock Glock springs or use some reputable reduced power springs...

I tape the trigger safety in to disengage it and mark a point in the tape where I usually put my trigger finger when firing the gun. The gun lies flat on a table. I put the hook of the trigger gage on the mark every time I make a measurement. I pull the gage straight rearwards parallel to the slide. W/ Lymann elect. trger pull gage, my vanek GM on a Gk 17 consistently averaged 2# 5oz. I use a masking tape w/c also helps in preventing the hook to slide up/down the trigger during the pull.

Are your trigger pulls always close to 2# 5oz? or do the vary a lot... I have trouble getting consistant pulls with my Lyman digital gauge...

Good tip about taping the trigger safety and marking it with my finger placement... Thanks!

its always close to 2#5oz. the technique is to be very consistent in placing the hook in the trigger mark and the pull be the same in direction and kind (smooth and continuous, no jerking). any slight variations in any or all of these will yield a different pull weight in the gage. Even in 2011/1911 triggers, I use masking tape so the hook wont slide up/down during the pull. It took me some practice and experimentations before I arrived at these.

I measure at the bottom if the trigger. I pull the trigger back slightly then put the gage against the trigger guard and the bottom tip of the trigger. Yes this will yield lighter results. I'm only after consistency across all trigger jobs and not an advertised pull weight.

Pretty much what i do for all pistols is I put the pistol in a bench mounted vice with soft jaw protectors. Then I take up any pre travel in the trigger and pull back very slowly with a RCBS pull gauge until the trigger breaks.

This usually gives me repeatable results.

Pretty much what i do for all pistols is I put the pistol in a bench mounted vice with soft jaw protectors. Then I take up any pre travel in the trigger and pull back very slowly with a RCBS pull gauge until the trigger breaks.

This usually gives me repeatable results.

Exactly what I do with the same RCBS spring gauge (72oz max range). I wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the hook that contacts the trigger so I can measure Glock triggers without the gauge slipping. I get very repeatable results this way.