Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Revolver

Midas

Do you already have a revolver that fits the rules? If so, then just start with that. :D

I have found K-frame S&W's with Comp lll speedloaders to be a whole lot of fun. Makes the moon clip guys envious when you beat them. B)

Having said that, I am now shooting a PC S&W 686 in 38 Super with moon clips. I like it a lot. :P

Bill Nesbitt

Hands down the most popular IDPA SSR gun is the S&W 625 with a 4" barrel in 45ACP with moon-clips. A trigger job and chamfered cylinders are the most common modifications. Be sure to get grips that fit your hand and allow the moon-clip to go in easily.

Around here the Comp-Tac locking paddle holster and California Competition Works moon-clip holders are the pretty popular. I also like the Cal Comp Works De-Mooner tool.

Another cool item is the plastic round bottom fishing tackle boxes available at sporting goods stores. There is a size (can't remember off the top of my head) that holds loaded moon-clips. Fill up one or more of these the night before the match and you won't have to load a moon-clip all day!

625 4", they are reliable and accurate.

625 4" MG lighter but same gun

325 2- 3/4" favorite fast 45 IDPA revolver

646 this is one i am trying now 40 cal moon clips L frame

Have u noticed i havent touched the 610? a 40 or 10 in a N frame leaves a lot of space between cyliners that hinder reloads. even when heavly chamfered. :ph34r:

I have really enjoyed shooting my 646 (non-PC) for IDPA this summer. Very fast, but more compact than a 625, and to my way of thinking, a bit more in keeping with the IDPA concept of shooting a gun that could actually be carried daily. (Yes, I know there are a few who claim they carry N-frames concealed...mostly Walter Mittys....)

The rest of the package:

-moonclips from Brownells

-135-gr. Rainier copper-coated bullets at 128 p.f.,Titegroup, mixed brass

-Blade-Tech tec-lok holster set on FBI cant (you can adjust them easily)

-Blade-Tech tec-lok moonclip double moonclip holders (adjust with blowdryer)

-Miculek grips

-action slick by yours truly

-Banana Republic vest

-Lee relaxed-fit jeans

-cheap-ass tennis shoes

All of this is working quite well. If the stage is even halfway revolver-friendly, I'm hanging right in there with the better CDPs and ESPs.

Mike

I shot a 4" pencil barrel Model 10 at the Southern Regional Championship because it's close to my carry gun (a 4" Model 12 round butt).

But I'm a little different in my tastes, having shot several major Championships with snub nose revolvers. The 4" barrel was pretty nice.

I really like the K-frame it seems to be perfectly spaced as does the N frame with 45's but the K-frame seems so ergonomic. it's like i AM the gun not shooting a big block of steel. I carry K frame from time to time and have shot either K or L frame in 357 since my first centerfire handgun.

mine comes out of a blade tech with comp 3's feeing it.

I bought a 610, had the cylinders chamfered action , etc. but it still NEVER reloaded like the 45 or shot like the 38. so i'm not a real big fan of them.

I've been shooting both a K frame with compIII's and 625 4" in IDPA. I keep gravitating towards the K frame though. It's small and light and I really see no disadvantage to the speed loaders over the moonclips (except when you pick up your brass). Bill Nesbitt may have an opinion on this since he has shot both.

The K frame handles very well and has very manageable recoil when using minor PF (PF 127 or so).

I use a blade tech holster for both guns and use blade tech's speedloader holders for the K frame. The only thing is the double holders are a wee bit bulky to put in front of the gun. I end up moving my holster back so the speedloaders show less (I'm a strong side reloader) . If you load with your left hand this should be no problem at all since the holders will sit on your left hip.

Paul

I use a bear's den for the comp III's which unfortunately are not made anymore.

The pistol packing ones are cool because the comp II's and HKS should work in them as well. Also, they sit off the body more. Might have to buy some of these.

The blade-tech holders are not bad, I think they are more street than competition though. T hey are tight to the body (they straddle the belt) and if you come down too hard on the draw (on the speedloader, not the gun) you will activate the speedloader and throw rounds across the range in a grotesque and stage-killing manner.

I love the K frames and shoot them the best but most shooters find the 625 is the best choice for revolver gaming. ( good carry gun too if you don't lighten the springs too much)

Ted

My advice would be to stop, face a wall, whack your head against said wall several times (briskly). Then, if you still wish to shoot wheelies, buy yourself a 610 and send it to Teddy Jacobson (sp?) in Tejas.

Chuck

('cause it'll feel so good when I stop, that's why....)

I haven't tried them personally, but I ordered a couple of the Blade-Tech carriers for the CompIII. My kid has been using them with his M-10 skinny-barrel for the last couple of IDPA matches, and his reloads are looking pretty smooth. He says the carriers work great. (Nothing has fallen onto the ground yet!)