Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 9 (10 Apr 2012)

I was surprised how little recoil there was on the .338 Lapua. That AI was obviously well put togeather. I also noticed how smoothly the bolt worked for most of them. I sure would like to have one of them but at $7K+ I don't see that happening. :angry2:

Neal in AZ

Even if I could afford the rifle, the big scope and ammo at several dollars/round. Where do you find a range to shoot it?

I was sorry to see Gabby go also.

I suspect Gabby's error was that in practice she held the same sight point because she got the best group. If she had practiced some hold off to get a feel for walking the bullet in she probably would have stayed. She still gets attaboys for staying that long. BTW, she's a member of my gun club and is very much like what you saw on TV. Always smiling and a helluva pistol shot. Here's to the ladies of USPSA! :cheers:

I suspect Gabby's error was that in practice she held the same sight point because she got the best group. If she had practiced some hold off to get a feel for walking the bullet in she probably would have stayed. She still gets attaboys for staying that long. BTW, she's a member of my gun club and is very much like what you saw on TV. Always smiling and a helluva pistol shot. Here's to the ladies of USPSA! :cheers:

Yeah - She was disadvantaged because she was less experienced at walking shots in. So..... If she's at your club, any hint at anything between Her and Chee? :D

In that case she should also be a member here! Please offer her an invitation at your next opportunity.

Yesssssss - get her on here. Like Cliff Walsh and Mike Hughes :D

Ahoy ming,

I have taken your advice and passed on the suggestion she join our illustrious group. No doubt she has insight we haven't considered. Did I mention she's a helluva shot? :cheers:

Ron

Resident Poser

USPSA FY63917

Anybody have any idea how many shots it takes on a 338 to foul the bore and the chamber? My experience is that the rifle cartridges with large powder volumes relative to bore size and high pressures foul both the bore and the chamber quickly. These folks fired a couple hundred rounds through a presumably new gun. I wonder how much the group size opened up during the course of the individual challenge.

Next, a number of the later shooters had difficulty closing the bolt, which implies a fouled chamber and/or fouled rifling leade. Both will definitely cause the rifle to throw shots.

And all of these things happen quite fast on a brand new barrel. I am suspicious that the later shooters were trying to cope with a rifle that was throwing rounds...

And I am sorry to see Gabby go.

Billski

Anyone else notice that, even though only 3 Blues made it to Green stage, all 3 were in the top 5 on the individual challenge?

And Augie's the ringer...he's quiet, never shows up in the 'personal drama' portions of the show, but he always seems to be at or near the top in shooting.

I was actually expecting them to take the long shot out to 1600m. You're going to 1500 yards, why not make it an honest mile?