Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harley Owners Here....

IPSCDRL

Everyone who is over 30 and still rides, has those Young & Stupid stories.... include Benos in there too...his dirt bike crash of last year still echoes in my head...maybe some day over a cool one we can swap those tales... :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first bike was a Harley. Well sort of. 

It was a 125cc 2 stroke oil injected on/off road Harley Davidson from the AMF days.

I think that would be a re-badged Aermacchi from Italia.

You mean you CAN turn a V-Max? Who Knew?

Ever seen the picture of Kenny Roberts at his ranch, on the short track, doing a full-lock, feet-up powerslide on a V-Max?

At that time (1976) nothing, and I do mean nothing could touch it light to light.

Except for the H2 750 triple! My buddies was a 74 and nothing, and I mean nothing could touch it from a stop, but my TZ-350B still took it at the top end (150+) and could always out accelerate it once rolling as long as you could keep the front wheel low enough to stay on the power! Used to run it in 500 GP class and nothing touched a TZ except for another one with a better rider or tuner.

I could usually womp any Kawa triple that showed up on the Sunday Morning ride (Northern CA thing) with my street stock RD-350 by waiting for the corners and taking it all back while they were wallowing around out in the run-out areas. The hot setup for a Kawasucki triple back then was about 4 inches of foam on the top of the gas tank :P:D

--

Regards,

ver seen the picture of Kenny Roberts at his ranch, on the short track, doing a full-lock, feet-up powerslide on a V-Max?

No, but I saw him muscle a TZ-750 into the corkscrew at Laguna Seca in 76 coming from a stoppie, to a dirt track slide on the power and exiting on a crossed-up downhill, off-camber power wheelie while actually steering around backmarkers. Sonnuvabee, he was good. He won the heat race by almost a lap over second place.

--

Regards

ever seen the picture of Kenny Roberts at his ranch, on the short track, doing a full-lock, feet-up powerslide on a V-Max?

No, but I saw him muscle a TZ-750 into the corkscrew at Laguna Seca in 76 coming from a stoppie

Speaking of Laguna Seca....it's THIS weekend! Some of the races are on the Speed Channel for anyone interested on how its being done today!

Damn George

Where you been hiding all this bike stuff...thought you were an IT guru

I was young and stupid once (now I’m old and dumber) and raced club level for a couple years until I tossed an RD off a cliff at over 100mph out along hwy 1 N on the good ole’ Sunday Morning ride. Walked away by a miracle and sold everything over the next year except for the Trophy 650 that’s still in my Garage (and I swear I’m gonna make it run again one of these days).

Never was able to power through twisty stuff as well after the flying act and my average lap times got slower because I was thinking about the corners now and everyone knows that “if you have to think about it, you are already out in the haybales”.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Speaking of Laguna Seca....it's THIS weekend! Some of the races are on the Speed Channel for anyone interested on how its being done today!

I haven’t paid much attention to racing since the late seventies.

I am sure times have changed.

--

Regards,

So far, I've had:

87? Yamaha SRX-250

87? Yamaha 535 Virago

96 Harley 883 Sportster

92 Honda CBR600F2 (great bike!!!)

88 Honda HawkGT (great bike!!!)

94 Honda RS125 (best handling bike I've ever ridden!!!)

88 Yamaha FZR400

89 Honda HawkGT

I miss having a bike...

mpolans, you have good taste in bikes. A couple of those choices preclude you from having great taste. :)

schmitz, Schwantz had the greatest pass in all of motorsports, going by Wayne Rainey on the brakes into the grandstand area of Hockenheimring at a German GP (1988?). I wish I had a clip I could post here on the forums.

Bikes at Laguna this weekend? Must be World Stupidbikes. Four-strokes, yawn. As KR calls them, diesels.

As KR calls them, diesels

I like that

The 4-stroke Superbikes never did it for me.

Give me a crankcase scavenging, oil burning, screaming fast 2-stroke anyday. Valves, we don’t need no stinking valvetrain :P

Desmo valvetrains require adjustment at 3,000 mile intervals. (Unless they came up with something new I don't know about.) For most fair-weather riders who store their bikes during two seasons, 3K mi might not be a big deal. But that was every few months to me.

Former proud owner of a Harley-Davidson FLSTC Softail Classic (concurrently had a back-up Honda 750 Magna, which I carried in an ankle holster).

Life Member of HOG Hong Kong and Life Member of HOG USA.

Sold both bikes when I suddenly discovered I was an Old Fart (kept the earring though).

I really miss my bikes but I refuse, I say I refuse to buy a Volvo, boy .......

At that time (1976) nothing, and I do mean nothing could touch it light to light.

Except for the H2 750 triple!

Have to agree to disagree on this one George B)

IMO, the HP to weight ratio was better on the 500. I whupped up on more than a few 750's that thought they could blow smoke on me.

The hot setup for a Kawasucki triple back then was about 4 inches of foam on the top of the gas tank

:lol: You saw mine?? ;)

The only thing that ever out ran me after I had it super tuned was a brown VW Beetle. :huh:

I was sitting at a light in Long Beach about to make a left turn onto a long straight 4 lane road. Right after the turn there was a set of RR tracks that were pretty rough so I was going slow over them. Just as I crossed them the Beetle appeared beside me and revved his engine a couple of times and then took off. He got about a 2 car length jump on me and I thought "NFW a Beetle is gonna blow smoke on me", so I down shifted and it was on. At 100 mph he shut down, still 2 car lengths ahead of me and when I went by he was laughing his a** off. It was a long time before I told anybody that I had been outrun by a damn Beetle. :o I still wounder to this day what the hell he had in that damn thing.

I still wonder to this day what the hell he had in that damn thing.
Probably a corvair engine. Back in the early 80’s I worked with a guy named Mitch who grew up in Palos Verdes (right next to Long Beach) and he used to talk about the beetle he souped up and the fun he used to have blowing peoples minds from light to light. He was a big guy, shoulder length black hair, full beard and wore glasses, if so, it was Mitch, that was his neighborhood in the seventies. I remember him talking about all the muscle cars and fast bikes he outran and how he loved the looks on their faces at the next light (this was before the “Helmet Law”).

The 750 triple was still too much motor for the rest of the bike. I watched the guy with the H2 that came on the SMR (Sunday Morning Ride) get spit off by his right in front of me on the second half of the SMR the year before I hung it up.

We were in a pack of 10-12 bikes out in front of the main pack carving some uphill S’s The RD’s (Yamaha RD-350‘s ruled the twisty back then) were all bunching up in front on the line into the blind left at the top of the rise we were coming to. And here comes the H2 taking the whole pack of us on the outside under a power wheelie that had the bike shuddering so much that it was blurred, As he slingshot across in front of us from the outside he got off the gas and onto the brakes right at his apex and that thing just stood up and spit him off like a bucking horse. He went straight over the bars and the bike started endoing and spraying big showers of broken stuff up in the air. As a pack, the rest of us tightened up and zipped right through just under the carnage. We noticed that he had landed in the runout area on the outside of the curve and seemed to be moving so we let the guys bringing up the rear take care of him, heck, we were out in front of the rest of the pack and were all dicing it up something fierce, we weren’t about to stop for nothing. (he walked away, the motor got a custom frame and was back out in a about a month).

What’s the first thing you say when someone tells you about a getoff?

How’s the bike? :o:P:D

I had to stop riding bikes, I just can not keep them out of the power band and always welcomed an opportunity to dice it up. I can “drive“ a car sedateley, I can “steer“ a boat safely, but I have to ride a bike as fast as I can make it go (while still holding a couple tenth’s back for myself).

Anyone know the rule of “tenth’s” ?

List of bikes owned in order of acquisition:

1968 Honda CB-160

1969 Honda CB-305

1967 Suzuki X6 250

1973 Yamaha R5 350

1974 Yamaha TZ-350 (closeout deal after they were oddball leftovers in late 75)

1975 Yamaha RD-350

1975 Honda TL-250

1976 Yamaha RD-250 (bought two used demo bikes at $549 each in early 77)

1964 Triumph Trophy 650 (unit construction)

Everything but the TZ was bought in used, or basket case condition.

Everything but the Trophy-650 was flogged mercilessly on every twisty piece of road in a 100 mile radius from 1973-1978. I had nothing left but the Triumph by the end of 1979. I still have the Trumpet and it will run again.

--

Regards.

Edited by George

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 76 SuperGlide thats in about 100 pieces in the garage. I'm doing a frame up rebuild on it. At the pace I've been working it should be done when the bike is 30 years old.......

Stew