Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero 147gr FMJ

tkheard

I just got some Zero 147gr FMJ in 9mm. I set one in an empty case to start adjusting the dies on my 550B. The resulting COAL is too long. It drops in the case gauge just fine, but will not chamber, so the dies need to go down. Got that part. Being the usual CB, I wanted to take it apart, adjust the dies and repeat until I get it where I want it. Simple, right?

I put the empty cartridge with bullet seated in my kinetic puller. I've go at least 20 strikes and it doesn't seem to have moved. It doesn't want to come out. I know I can destroy the case and the bullet to get it apart. My concern is with actual firing: if it's so tight now, what happens when the power gets lit?

Thanks,

Tom

1) you probably just need to hit harder with the kinetic puller

2) to go shorter on OAL, you don't need to pull the bullet. Just lower the seating stem and pull the handle again.

Edited by njl

Measure another bullet to make sure you didn't get .38 cal (.357) instead of 9mm (.355). My kinetic puller doesn't work unless I'm hitting it against something really solid like the linoleum over concrete floor.

Sounds like you might be swagging the bullet down instead of closing the case down. Back off the crimp die some and try it again. Just close it tight enough that you cannot push the bullet into the case when you press it into your bench with your thumb on the head of the case.

EW

Took the puller outside and used the concrete patio; took two strikes and the bullet separated from the case. I'd been using a wood block and it was (apparently) making the impact a little too gentle.

On the other hand, it was my bad entirely on the "won't chamber" part. The ejector was hanging up on the case rim. Once I let the slide close naturally, it worked fine.

Color me embarrassed!

I have a 50 dollar gift cert for zero bullet co we won at a match if somebody would be interested in making an offer on it. Gonna put in classifieds shortly just haven't got around to it.

Is Zero Bullet wholesale only? I have been looking at the website I found (http://www.zerobullets.com/) and I can't find any pricing. Is this the wrong place?