Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to revolver

twister

the first question I have is what are you shooting? if it is a 5" or shorter the kydex or race holster is more personal preference but if you are shooting a 6"+ gun then I think the race holster would be way easier to draw from.

Mike

If you are shooting multiple types of shoots, you will find the race holster will not always be accepted. I normally shoot one of the Safariland 002 holsters for Icore and USPSA, but I have a police shoot coming up in which the holster must be suitable for street use.

Jim

If you are not shooting multiple guns with differing barrel lengths, use what feels more comfortable, whether kydex or race. I used a CR Speed, but ended up dropping my gun twice, so I switched to kydex. I don't think there's much difference in speed. Chris Stewart (Ready Tactical) made me an N frame holster that I could use with either a 5 or 6 inch barrel. I shoot a 627 for ICORE and Steel Challenge. Haven't dropped a gun since.

Seiichi

you could always do what i did get a blade tech drop offset kydex holster adjust the cant and grind all the kydex you dont want/need and have a good fast kydex holster with the benefits of a race holster

A race holster does give you the flexibility to use iron sights or a dot if you choose. I can use my CR speed holster with either my 627 which wears a red dot, or my 610 which has iron sights, since they are both 5" guns. I must admit that I keep considering the purchase of a Kydex holster for the 610. I have never had a gun fall out of the CR speed, but it sure does worry me.

you could always do what i did get a blade tech drop offset kydex holster adjust the cant and grind all the kydex you dont want/need and have a good fast kydex holster with the benefits of a race holster

sounds like a safariland 002 (:

I'm a fan of the Ghost. As stated previously, you can run a Limited revolver or Open and any barrel length without adjusting anything. I shoot ICORE and USPSA Revolver so I have multiple revolvers I use depending on the occasion and the Ghost works perfect for all of my N frame guns. CR Speed is a good holster if you only run one revolver.

The Racemaster is similar to the Ghost but does offer a lot more versatility relative to shooting different types of firearms. This is the only type holster I don't own, but I know a few guys that do and they seem very satisfied with their rigs.

Edited by roundabout

I use the Hoeppner & Schumann Speed Sec holster from Competitive Edge Dynamics. It is a speed holster which fits every S&W revolver, be it K, L or N frame.

Edited by TonyT

I use the Hoeppner & Schumann Speed Sec holster from Competitive Edge Dynamics. It is a speed holster which fits every S&W revolver, be it K, L or N frame.

I got one of these so my revolver rig can be used with any of my S&W's including my 617.

I also have a kydex for my 5" guns. I think the kydex is the way to go for a start.

Neal in AZ